Lynx takes Moose

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Lynx takes Moose

Post by Hunt it »

We returned from our annual N. Ontario archery moose hunt this past weekend. We had a great trip, hunting was slow but one bucket list milestone was reached. My son graduated from University this past spring and chose an archery moose hunt as his graduation present. School has prevented him from ever joining us on our annual fall hunt for the past years. He had been into the lake once when seven yrs old to fish with us. My hope was to call in a moose for him and have him arrow it. As you can see, my dream came true.

The second night out, less than 1/2 hr on the stand, I heard several grunts after my first series of calls. The radio clicked and I heard my son say "did you hear that" "yes I replied". I let out another short volley of whines and wails and the game jumped from on to overdrive. The bull came running and grunting as loud as I've ever heard. In under a minute he was in sight and headed towards us. My son was in a treestand about 80 yards from my stand. I could see the bull through the trees heading for the creek that was between us. The bull plunged in and just has he had his two front legs out on the bank I heard the Lynx growl, a quick word came over radio "I had a good shot" I glanced at the moose in time to see him go down! He never moved from the spot he was hit, down inside of 30 seconds. I said to my son over radio " great shot and take time and relax before packing up gear and that I was doing same and would be over shortly". I arrived just as he had gotten out of tree, the smile on his face said it all, big congratulations hug and compliment on his 37 yard shot and we headed over to see his moose.

The young bull was in the creek with only horns sticking out. This is first one we ever had in the water. I figured we were in for big job but it turned out to be easier than we thought. The creek was deep enough that we tied a rope onto moose and the canoe and paddled and pushed about 100 yards until we hit a beaver dam. From there we rolled bull onto dam and took pictures. Cleaned him and propped him open with cold water flowing over and around rear quarters to cool it down. Our group returned in the morning and made sort work of quartering and packing moose back to camp by canoe.

After this moose the weather turned warm and the Bulls got less responsive. We had a lot of single grunts and horns racking trees but no others worked up enough to come in. That is hunting, we cannot control Mother Nature. This was our 16th year on the lake and bull number 30. My son took his bull from our #1 tree out of 48 stands, that tree has accounted for 10 moose now. This was the same tree I arrowed the bull in my avatar from. He was using his 380 Lynx and 18" Executioners with 90 gr inserts and 100 grn G5 Strikers. He had a complete pass through at 37 yards and we found his arrow floating in creek as we paddled towards dam. It was nice and clean, no damage and still razor sharp, it was loaded every day for rest of hunt ready to do it's job again.
mr meat

Re: Lynx takes Moose

Post by mr meat »

Congrats to him on the moose!! Great story and waiting on my lynx to arrive next week!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

Awesome!! Congratulations on a fine animal!!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations on the wonderful harvest !
Nice write up.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Very, very nice! Congrats to you and your son, well done!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

Congratulations. Would love to shoot a moose with my bow. On "my" bucket list.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls

Post by newbie »

Congrats !
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Awesome photo of your boy and moose. Congrats on the fine hunt together.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
lunghit

Post by lunghit »

Congrats to you and your son. Moose is my dream hunt and if I had to pick only one animal to go after it would be them.
Excal Wolverine
Hawke XB-30
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

What a story and what a graduation gift. Congrats all around. Another 20 or so years I can see this same story replayed with another generation... :D
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Most Excellent! A hunt he will never forget...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Bet that was a great hunt n tell him congrats on his moose
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

Way to go Dad and son! As you said your dream came true. It will stay in your memory all your life. What a feeling to had a bull came running and grunting like that. I harvested 4 bulls that way, under 30 yards with a gun. Since 3 years I hunted crossbow, had 2 cows under 25 yards and let her went.
I'm still waiting my dream come true LOL.

Marcel
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel
Spike Country

Post by Spike Country »

Congrats to your son on a Bull well deserved!
MICHIGAN MEAT HUNTER "Shooting Tomorrows Trophies Today"
Proud member of the Michigan Crossbow Federation!
munch

Post by munch »

Congrats to your son dave , this is the first year I've not heard a cow call or a grunt . I called in a 35" bull who busted me at 27 yards then a couple days latter a big guy but not a grunt just lots of thrashing trees
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook