Matrix 350 SE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GrassyKnoll

Matrix 350 SE

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I just recieved the Matrix 350 SE... I've added the ADF and the Reds to the bow so far, also a TT... I also noticed that it has the new "shoulder bolts" and "spacers" on the limbs, however there is a visible gap roughly a credit card thickness between the limbs and the rubber that is under the limb straps... Is this normal with the new hardware?

Thanks guys,
Ed

Last edited by GrassyKnoll on Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
janesy

Re: Matrix 350 SE

Post by janesy »

That's the new setup, and yes the space is correct. Shoot away
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Yea ed that does seem odd my 355s are so tight the recoil pads have a small bend in em. Basically all my excals have a micro bend in there recoil plates .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Janesy, but with the gap as such, wouldn't the limbs bounce back and forth within the pocket to the bracket?

Joe, do you have the new hardware for the straps on your 355's?
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Mine is the old style the bow is a year old. ( basically the same as the old micro and 380 etc. )its tight
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I have the new setup on all my bows now. It was explained to me by Excalibur that it reduces the direct stress on the limb. But not by much. It was more designed to create a more consistent method of attaching the straps. It gets ride of the tiny little Allen key, as well it allows the end user to install there same limbs the same as done at the factory.

I'm paraphrasing the conversation. But basically I was told the limb bolt holds the limb .... Not the strap.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
mmc

Post by mmc »

GrassyKnoll,

Since its new this is an opportunity to take both your limbs off the riser to check for pinched and/or cut limbs before getting it all dialed in and having lots of shots on it. Not saying you'll find anything bad there; but if you do, now is the best time to fix it. NOT after a limb pops open.

Those style limb clamps are standard issue now, but that don't mean they are effective as installed... or correctly installed... it takes a bit of work to get each one right, because each limb is hand made in a compression mold and each come out of those molds having varying thickness. The older style clamps were easier to correct, but many don't seem to know what they are doing with them, so an awful lot of them are found to be overtightened ,contributing to more limb complaints.

Those 350s are great looking rigs, have fun with it!
Current interest: VPA non-vented 125gr, 150gr, 175gr broadhead flight for long range
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Seems like they should find at least a low density pad that fills the space but what do i know.
mmc

Post by mmc »

On the current models I'd like to see threaded studs installed into the riser to provide an anchoring post, then use self-locking nuts (the cheap, reusable, friction/interference plastic insert type) over the clamps to provide the variable adjustment capability that each limb (with slightly differing thicknesses and profiles) requires. Once adjusted right they would never change until you put a wrench on 'em.

This attachment method would also help to alert people of an unintended application of excessive force... since, once the rubber squirts out from under the clamps, you're probably overtightening them. :idea:

If a limb is slightly wider (and some of them are) than the limb socket machined into the riser, forcing a limb bolt down or overtightening a recoil clamp will cause that limb to be pinched and cut as it is forced down into the socket. The older style shoulder bolts encouraged this to happen both at the factory and by the owner, because they were meant to be tightened until bottomed out, irrespective if the shoulder bolt length matched the thickness of each limb properly or not.

The newer style clamps and spacers solve none of those problems of old, and in practice fail to provide an important part of the limb location(ing) function engineered into the product. A solution may prove to be cheaper to implement than the present non-solution is too, because all you need (to think up) is an anchoring post and some depth adjustability. Studs are good at doing that job.

Or better yet... on future models redesign the entire riser (and limbs too) to provide a more precisely controlled limb mounting apparatus.
Current interest: VPA non-vented 125gr, 150gr, 175gr broadhead flight for long range
SEW

Post by SEW »

longbow joe wrote:Seems like they should find at least a low density pad that fills the space but what do i know.
My thoughts also.

MMC - I appreciate your post on this as well as other posts you've made.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Thanks for the replies guys....

The first thing I did when I got it in the mail was disassemble it and then Loctite all fasteners back together. I didn't notice my limb deflection either :oops: as i usually do but the only thing that drew my attention was the gap in the brackets.. I might hit the local HD on the way home today to grab some foam to fill the void...

Haven't even shot it yet because I don't have a scope for it and am unsure what to put on it... I'm spoiled with the Vortex XBR's that sit on top of both my 380's..
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

In the end ed i can tell you i love my 355 i love dependable stuff and i feel real confident in the 355 and 330 as compared to my micro and the faster bows i think the 350/ 355 bows are as fast as i need my 330 ripped thru that big buck i got last year and broke a leg bone thats good enough for me.I have a bones on mine i love it . good luck with your dependadle bow !
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/URL] pm me i got what you need
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Joe,
Thank you.. I am considering a Leupold VX-R with a fire dot and zero it at 30 yards and learn its hold over and under...
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Thats a good call .unlike the other bows i find myself using only the main crosshair on the bones anyway in the 355 at about 40 yards go about 8 inches high.I dont really shoot further in my woods .