Rethinking broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: Rethinking broadheads

Post by nchunterkw »

SEW wrote:The major advantage of an expandible out of a vbow is that the broadhead doesn't bite into its displaced positions just after launch, or as much as a fixed broadhead. With a crossbow, the arrow theoretically comes out straight which doesn't cause this bite to occur. The short arrows (18"-20") and very stiff shafts (Zombies, STs, TTs, and others) and the extreme precision of the Excal xbows with the arrows coming straight out removes most of the flight problems of fixed blades. With all 3 of my Excals, I've tested 125g Wasps, Griz Tricks, std Slick Tricks, Xbow Tricks vs FOCs and field points. In low to no wind, group sizes stayed the same thru 80 yds. Indexing the fixed could bring them to the same impact points of field tips. I rarely found this to be the case with vbows.
SEW I agree with everything here. The accuracy is so go now with components as you have said, that IMO there is no reason to shoot a mech. I mean, I shoot an Excal because it is simple, and reliable. Why add in some complexity on the arrow when it is not needed?
Anyway, just curious as to what you are doing to index the Slick Tricks. Are you indexing to the spine of the arrow? I've always had mixed luck by indexing to the fletching. And saw no real improvement by doing anything with a 4 blade BH as it related to the fletching. I attributed that to the different turbulence a 4 blade creates versus the air the fletching catches. I think the fletching might catch better air when shooting a 4 blade. Or at least that a 3 blade head could have more effect on the air the fletching sees because it is aligned (or purposely not aligned). But then enter the RamCat. The fluted ferrule is designed to push fluid and tissue (and hence air too) away from the shaft (similar to a Ruger ARX self defense bullet). I have found these heads to fly to my field points and give me tighter groups than even my very good flying Slick Tricks. Caveat: I can only shoot to 40 or 50 yds.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
SEW

Post by SEW »

Cock vane is inline with the stiffest part of the shaft (so it's down, 6 o'clock). On 4 bladed BHs, I go 3,6,9,12. I've tried others , especially 1:30,4:30,7:30,10:30 but didn't work as well. Out of Solution (350) the Wasps did best at 12,4,8 which surprised me as I thought 2,6,10 would be best. So the blades are not inline with the vanes.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I have seen the same where 3 blades lined up with the fletching was good, but also not good. I too put the cock vane on the stiffest part. So I think it has something to do with the way the blades affect airflow - which will be different for each BH.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

What part is the stiffest part of the shaft?
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Patcon wrote:What part is the stiffest part of the shaft?
They are referring to shafts that have been spine indexed. Each shaft has to be done by someone with a specialized meter which detects the stiffest plane on each arrow.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
SEW

Post by SEW »

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/ ... 010062.jpg
This is a bear's heart from when I had enough sense to use a proper broad head : 175g Xbow Trick.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sewdds/ ... 2.jpg.html
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Thanks Racking up points
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly