Hunting Camera

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SummitSitter

Hunting Camera

Post by SummitSitter »

I recently started a thread regarding mounting options for a GoPro obtonyour crossbow and received some great advice and assistance.

Are there any other camera options on the market that are compact and shoot more "zoomed-in" video? I love the size of the GoPro, but whatever you are recording in video has to fairly close. I would love to pick up something similar to a GoPro that lets you shoots clear video from greater distances away with a possible zoom option (if there is such a thing)...
W.Miguire

Re: Hunting Camera

Post by W.Miguire »

I use a camera made by Shot Trak , it is made for hunting and it will take the shock of your weapon it is very compact and light . and it takes great pictures .it is about 1" square and about 2" long. and has a 5x zoom built in . I also have a I ON and don't like it for hunting . it is a cam . similar to go pro ok for close up and that's all. the Shot Trak won't brake the bank . JMO
W.M.
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

Is the 5X zoom for shooting video or just for taking pics? I'm looking for a camera primarily for shooting video...
W.Miguire wrote:I use a camera made by Shot Trak , it is made for hunting and it will take the shock of your weapon it is very compact and light . and it takes great pictures .it is about 1" square and about 2" long. and has a 5x zoom built in . I also have a I ON and don't like it for hunting . it is a cam . similar to go pro ok for close up and that's all. the Shot Trak won't brake the bank . JMO
W.M.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Before my stepdaughter won her GoPro at a church event I was using our video camera on a mount from Jeff Bonk on this site. It worked and I loved it. I made a few videos with it while shooting and it worked great.

But since my stepdaughter didn't know what she'd use her GoPro for she said that I could have it. Now I want to try it out and see how it works.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

If you're using a Go Pro you're at least somewhat technology able so I'd point you to a TactaCam 4.0 If you're shooting 20yards it looks like 20yards, not 60yards. It's small, compact and takes amazing videos. They also have a new app to view and share photos and videos from your iPhone or Android. They are awesome...but pricey. I believe around $379.00 USD.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

I use the shot track. Bought it for $120 USD from Dick's last winter. The one I have has a laser for sighting it. It uses a micro sd card. It attaches by a picatinney rail. It only weighs about 4 ounces. I put it on the side of my scope with another set of rings and I really don't notice it when hunting. Also 5X high def video. It doesn't have a screen on it so unless you take a device with you, you have to take the sd card out and upload to your computer.
It is actually desgined to take the pounding of a shotgun or high power rifle, so it is quite durable. Also records sound.
I'd post a pic of my setup but I don't know how to do the picture thing here.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

the shot trak takes videos and the are very clear. I got mine at Cabelas for les than 100.00 . I also bought a battery and a charger because the batt. cost a bunch . I am very pleased with it .
W.M.
galamb

Post by galamb »

WASP has a line of camera's out - pretty much the same dimensions etc as the GoPro's.

There models have a 4X digital zoom that works for either their JPEG or AVI format (and it's a zoom in/out button, not a fixed 4X or nothing deal).

At least two of the models can be controlled by a "wrist watch like" remote (we sell them at work) - one just has function keys the other has a little screen that shows you what the camera is seeing (controllable up to about 5 yards away or so) so it can be mounted "a little" remotely.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....absolutely love the ShotTrak....simple to operate....one on/off lever...great video...attached with it's own mounting clamp to the TakPak rail...only drawback is that it does not have a rechargeable battery....and uses one of those expensive Lithium ones.

Here's a link:

https://www.atncorp.com/atn-shot-trak-hd-x

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Anthony, I got 5 Batteries and a charger for 36.00 on amazon and they work just fine . maybe it would be worth looking into. always got a fresh battery and ready to go.
W.M.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

W.Miguire wrote:Anthony, I got 5 Batteries and a charger for 36.00 on amazon and they work just fine . maybe it would be worth looking into. always got a fresh battery and ready to go.
W.M.
....absolutely right Bill

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

Thanks for all of the responses so far.

The WASP camera looks similar to the GoPro except it have a built in zoom which is nice. I'm leaning towards the new Tactacam 4.0 that you can order with a scope mount or bow mount. The video footage looks pretty nice with that camera. I'm still going to do some research before ordering something...
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Good luck with your choice.
W.M.
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

Here is a pic of my Tact Zone scope which I'm sure many of you know how it looks...

I would idealy like to mount a camera, whether it's a Tactacam or other similar one, onto the scope. It doesn't look like I will have any mounting area on the scope near the front or rear scope rings. The only area that I could see clamping a mount to would be on the tube near the rear scope cap.

My other option that I'm thinking about would be to use a Munchmount that connects to the front of the crossbow and makes the camera sit above the scope. The Tactacam has an optional picatinny camera mount:

Does anyone use a Munchmount with a picatinny rail for any mounting needs? Where could I purchase a rail that could be used with a Munchmount?

If anyone has any other recommendation on where I could attach a picatinny rail onto the crossbow without using a munchmount, please let me know.
Thanks again for everyone's input.
Last edited by SummitSitter on Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prédateur

Post by Prédateur »

With a Gopro you can use the narrow setting and the action is a lot closer than with the wide setting.