Nervous Blacktails

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Nervous Blacktails

Post by IronNoggin »

I have a rather special place that I hunt down Island from here. Some know of it, and unless they keep that to themselves, they can expect me to be hunting them in short order... :twisted:

Long story shorter regarding that area - there have been many a decent blacktail buck fall to the aspirations of myself, a Partner or two, and a decent handful of "beginners" there. There's several reasons for that, and right up there among those is the fact we nurture the place as well as we possibly can to maximize the "comfort zone" for the local deer population. That includes grits, water, playing / feeding areas and great bedding / secure areas. Over the years, it has never failed to produce...

After a handful of brief upkeep forays this summer, it was time to begin the "inventory" stage down there. I expected to once again be amazed at the amount of tracks, rubs and deer sign all round. Instead, it was somewhat disheartening to realize that these were all in greatly reduced amounts than I had ever seen there before. :shock:

Chatted up the local Ranchers, and they added to the confusion by noting a rather serious lack of sightings over the past month or so...

Hmmm... Something of a conundrum...

Several further visits, and a few hunts later, it became rather obvious that something was fairly well amiss there this year. Deciding to determine just what that might be, I pulled a couple trail cams from other sites, and located them in known areas of travel / use within the area in question.

Wasn't at all long before I had an answer...

https://youtu.be/qCkW7GhVKPE

Oh. Great. :roll:
A medium sized boar has moved in. Well that's probably enough to make the deer a little nervous...

But Wait! What is he so concerned with?

https://youtu.be/0Ng3LCaJ-1w

Dammit!! His Brother or perhaps simply another companion playing a little pushy - shovey?
Well... now that makes even more sense as to why the deer might be nervous in that particular area...

https://youtu.be/JfioOlmtu3Q

All the deer captured by the cams were right On Edge. Extremely Nervous, and damn near constantly on the move. :cry:

Not overly pleased with this development alright. I have relied on this area for many a year to provide good venison for me, my Lady, and a handful of the Ladz. Seems this intrusion may have interrupted that little scenario...

However, I'll be damned if I'll sit idly by and let it continue.
Even though I don't generally target on bears...
Both look to me to be prime candidates for pepperoni, and as such, both have now hit my Most Wanted List. :twisted:

Chatted up one of the Ranchers there who I introduced to a crossbow.
Sharpening broadheads as we spoke. I may not be able to use my own bow right this particular moment, but I certainly know someone who can... :wink:

Stay Tuned as this season continues...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IronNoggin

Re: Nervous Blacktails

Post by IronNoggin »

The fact they seem to like the cameras adds even further insult to injury... :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5zcjh3HotU

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Good luck with restoring order, but don't let that video reach the masses. They stand on their rear legs and people think they need to be protected!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Matt, my first thought before even reading your post was, "HECK YA they're nervous, look who's hunting the area! :shock:" Well, it seems to me that a cull is certainly in order. Good luck clearing the black yotes out. They'll certainly but a damper on skittish blacktails....hmmmm, may be a great opportunity to test those 125gr Toxics with the special recipe! :?: :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Hope you get it back to what it was. Good luck Nog.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

paulaboutform wrote:Matt, my first thought before even reading your post was, "HECK YA they're nervous, look who's hunting the area!
:lol: I imagine one or two have pondered that particular situation over the years :wink:
....hmmmm, may be a great opportunity to test those 125gr Toxics with the special recipe! :?:
aYup! My thoughts Exactly!
Going to run down there Thursday early afternoon and shoot some (Rancher going to be cocking my bow for me). And then we're going to put a slow stalk on the area we believe they're sleeping in.

Hopefully zap these two buggers in time for the blacktails to return / settle down prior to the rut!! :twisted:

Letcha know as it goes...

Cheers,
Nog
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You knowed they be nervous cause you keep ck'in on them :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

I think that "Pedals" may have migrated a few miles!! :D Maybe one of the People Republic of New Jersey folks will come up and claim him :lol:
Micro 335 - Vixenmaster String, Diablo, Slick Trick 150
M380 - Hawke XB30 Pro, Vixenmaster String, Quill, VPA 150 / FOC