Hunting Knives

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Hunting Knives

Post by paulaboutform »

I've recently purchased a Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition sharpener and must say I'm very impressed! I've sharpened some old knives sharper than they've ever been, hair popping sharp actually. I also bought some beautiful hand made Damascus knives that took on a scary edge but I've yet to use them....37 more days and hopefully we can do some testing on wild Russian Boars. I really don't know much about knives or good steel vs bad steel but I do know that the number one knives I've ever used are the Cutco knives. I've used a Cutco Drop Point straight edge for years and I've never seen anything like it. A dear friend, who's place I hunt the Russian Boars at, is also an outfitter in northern Alberta and he also owns a few and is in agreement about this. I actually just bought another Cutco Drop Point with a double D edge (serrated)
and I'm anxious to see how it does. I've literally gutted and skinned a buffalo, mule deer, antelope and half a dozen hogs without having to touch the blade. What are your favorites and what are your suggestions? I'm just curious as this dang new toy has me putting a crazy edge on every blade possible....except my Cutcos.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Kegbelly

Re: Hunting Knives

Post by Kegbelly »

I'll admit I don't know a lot about knives or knife steel either but I've been doing a lot of research lately, and I just bought a Buck (yeah, a crappy Buck) Open Season #537RWS large fixed blade skinner with S30V steel and for $70 this is a pretty nice knife and ridiculously sharp right out of the box. I mean SHARP. Have not had a chance to use it in the field or try to sharpen S30V yet but I'm liking it so far. Time will tell. I've been looking at different knife sharpening systems including the Worksharp offerings and trying to convince Santa I really need one LOL. They look like you could really mess up a blade quickly if you aren't careful though :oops:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers

Post by newbie »

I sold my favorites to fund new more useful knives that I will use more. It was a Dagriz custom.
Now i own two benchmades.... one never leaves my pocket(555 mini grip with custom scales) the other has yet to see use.... may be jrs one day.(940 Osborne).
I used the Havalon this year and LOVE it.. .. for the price i dont think you can go wrong. Also a cheap Remington fixed for tougher jobs hacking joints etc.
Paul i saw a fantastic Cutco filet knife once and have been looking ever since for one. It was adjustable length and just felt at home in the hand. Ive never seen one like it. He got it years before and was unsure if it was still made. I havent looked in a while at the cutco line I do know they made/make good stuff. .. my grandma had a few of their spam knives.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

I also have a Cutco hunting knife and Cutco cutlery in the house.
I have only used the Cutco on two bucks and needless to say just a cleanup is necessary and it's ready for it's next task.
The other knives I carry in my pack are a couple of different sized Mora of Sweden
Knifes...very sharp and easy to keep sharp.
I am interested in the Havalon knives (basically a scalpel) with spare blades...no sharpening needed. That will be my next knife purchase.
I have a collection of older (new in box) Puma fixed blade stags which are great knives in their own right but for me, just for looking at.
I also carry a scary, sharp Cold Steel folder...and always have a couple of these hanging around.
Knives are like candy...I always drool over a nice, quality, one.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

newbie wrote:I sold my favorites to fund new more useful knives that I will use more. It was a Dagriz custom.
Now i own two benchmades.... one never leaves my pocket(555 mini grip with custom scales) the other has yet to see use.... may be jrs one day.(940 Osborne).
I used the Havalon this year and LOVE it.. .. for the price i dont think you can go wrong. Also a cheap Remington fixed for tougher jobs hacking joints etc.
Paul i saw a fantastic Cutco filet knife once and have been looking ever since for one. It was adjustable length and just felt at home in the hand. Ive never seen one like it. He got it years before and was unsure if it was still made. I havent looked in a while at the cutco line I do know they made/make good stuff. .. my grandma had a few of their spam knives.
I have that Cutco filet knife...I got it free when I bought some house cutlery a few years ago. I would think they still make it...
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Boo

Post by Boo »

I first saw Cutco knives on a semi guided hunt in Colorado about 15 yrs ago. The guides told me they've never been sharpened yet had gone through umpteen elk and deer. I watched in amazement to see one of the guides effortlessly cut my bull elk in half (I had already field dressed it)!
I was reunited with a Cutco knife by a very good friend just last week! :D
Some people just like stepping on rakes

Post by newbie »

Hillcountry wrote:
newbie wrote:I sold my favorites to fund new more useful knives that I will use more. It was a Dagriz custom.
Funny i looked years ago... no luck. I JUST FOUND IT IN SECONDS thanks
I have that Cutco filet knife...I got it free when I bought some house cutlery a few years ago. I would think they still make it...
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Boo

Post by Boo »

When you come over to pick up that ltitle trailer, ask me to see the Cutco knife. My nieghbour has cattle. You and Jr can see how well they cut :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes

Post by newbie »

Boo wrote:
When you come over to pick up that ltitle trailer, ask me to see the Cutco knife. My nieghbour has cattle. You and Jr can see how well they cut :mrgreen:
So jr is digging a hole for a reason :shock:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Mike, I also have the Cutco fillet knife. It's solidly built, the blade is completely removable for cleaning, adjusts from 6" - 9" and has gutted and filetted and skinned many, MANY salmon without a sharpening. I'd venture to say you could think of the Cutco line as being like Havalon knives that don't need blade replacement. The beauty thing is that they come with a 'Forever Guarantee' so if the ever break they'll replace it and for $7.00 CAD (for shipping and handling) you can send up to ten knives in for sharpening. If the knives are beyond sharpening they replace them. The Canadian handlers are in Oakville, Ontario and all their knives are made in America. 8)

Paul
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

May have to look at these Cutco knives (never heard of them before). Lately however I have been using a Benchmade Bushcrafter. Looks like this:

I have dressed 2 hogs, 2 sheep, 9 whitetail and 1 bear with this knife and used it to split 3 inch maple logs (baton style) to make kindling for a fire once. It is still on its factory edge and has not needed sharpening ever. It still shaves hair. I am happy with it - the only draw back is the price (+/- 180 USD).
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Species8472 wrote:May have to look at these Cutco knives (never heard of them before). Lately however I have been using a Benchmade Bushcrafter. Looks like this:

I have dressed 2 hogs, 2 sheep, 9 whitetail and 1 bear with this knife and used it to split 3 inch maple logs (baton style) to make kindling for a fire once. It is still on its factory edge and has not needed sharpening ever. It still shaves hair. I am happy with it - the only draw back is the price (+/- 180 USD).
VERY impressive indeed. Looks very much like the Cutco drop point. I think they're regular $120.00 CAD and are on sale right now for $95.00 CAD. Seeing as you're also in Ontario I bet you'd have it in a couple days. :wink:

Paul
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

You folks really get into things ..great info..My knife is from back in 40s its called OLD TIMER I think dad paid buck for it then.My buck knife from 60s dad bought me was around buck or so too..
JerseyJeff

Post by JerseyJeff »

I have a big collection of knives (mostly older Buck fixed-blade models), but it seems I always reach for my old reliable Cold Steel Master Hunter, in Carbon V steel. It has become a trusted friend, and locks into its sheath so securely, I know it'll always be there.

Jeff
Matrix 355
Axiom
NRA
UBNJ
DU
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....personally, I don't make much about knives...have used and continue to use a folding Buck Knife in the field and have a cutlery set for butchering the deer at the "Romano's Butcher Shop"!...I now also have the Ken Onion Worksharp sharpener which Newbie and Paulaboutform are responsible for me buying! :?

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings