Spare Limbs as a backup

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

davis131

Spare Limbs as a backup

Post by davis131 »

How many of you guys and gals carry a spare set of limbs on out of town trips?? I generally go on 2-3 out of town hunting trips a year an this will be my first in Feb with the Xbow,I've always took 2 sets of limbs when I used the recurve..My limbs snapped on my 335 a few months ago and I had it back within a week but now I'm a little worried if that was to happen again with no backups..
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: Spare Limbs as a backup

Post by Hunt it »

If you travel to hunt it is best insurance you can find. Few tools, spare string and limbs and you are set for almost anything.
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

You Can also carry a spare Arrow retainer, and trigger unit. Jefrohio
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

If I was to go on an out of town crossbow hunt I would bring a back up crossbow, along with the extra limbs.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:If I was to go on an out of town crossbow hunt I would bring a back up crossbow, along with the extra limbs.

.....I might also pay Dr Danny Miller to follow me in his Excalambulance for that "on the spot" service we might need! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Always carry spares. Never needed them but it's piece of mind..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Are you driving on the way to your hunt? Other than a spare tire, how much other "spare" stuff do you carry? How many spare tires? You could get two flats, of course. Does that mean you need to carry two spares? Battery? Headlights? If you are travelling a great distance on remote roads, those things may be reasonable, but normally it would be excessive, wouldn't it?.

If it's the hunt of a lifetime (safari in Africa), I'd take two sets of spare limbs, three prestretched spare strings (they don't take up space and weigh anything), presighted spare scope, and enough arrows with mounted broadheads that have been target tested, enough to be assured I wouldn't run short if I did a lot of shooting. I'd have no worry about any thing else relating to my shooting equipment.

That's pretty extreme preparation and excessive for normal hunting. Your equipment is reliable and if you prepare for your hunt with reasonable practising and testing, some of the issues that are UNLIKELY but can arise will be found and cured.

For a more routine "special" hunt, a spare set of limbs, spare string, and spare sight would cover the most common problems that sometime arise.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
davis131

Post by davis131 »

We usually go to TX in Feb an Quebec in June an myself and the other 2 guys I go with always have either 2 bows or at least 2 sets of limbs with a couple strings along with some spare heads,glue,nock pliers an bow square but I broke ranks this year with the Excalibur,so this is all new to me..None of us have ever(an we done this for well over 20yrs) had ever even needed an extra string let alone another set of limbs, but I can't think of nothing worse than a split excal limb on a TX hog hunt at least in Canada we can always fish if that happens..I think I may error on the side of caution an see about getting another set of limbs..Come to think about it we only needed a spare tire twice in all that time,but it was sure nice to have when we needed it..LOL
lunghit

Post by lunghit »

Do you guys carry a spare riser assembly with limbs or just limbs? I might buy a spare set.
Excal Wolverine
Hawke XB-30
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

lunghit wrote:Do you guys carry a spare riser assembly with limbs or just limbs? I might buy a spare set.

....I would imagine just the limbs...I have 2 spare sets that are gathering dust for my 335 and one for my 380....I do not carry them nor do I hunt with a spare bow...

....I have also offered them to those inclined to drive to The People's Republic if they ever needed them....they still sit and gather dust!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
lunghit

Post by lunghit »

Thanks Anthony. I dont know if I want a spare set or another Excal as a back up lol. I have been wanting to go back in time and buy a Vortex or Exocet just for the extreme dependability of them.
Excal Wolverine
Hawke XB-30
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

When traveling I always pack an allen wrench, some tools, three strings, some fasteners and limbs. The $80.00 CAD for the limbs is cheap insurance. I'd always rather err on the side of caution.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

paulaboutform wrote:When traveling I always pack an allen wrench, some tools, three strings, some fasteners and limbs. The $80.00 CAD for the limbs is cheap insurance. I'd always rather err on the side of caution.

Paul
X2

Marcel
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Dang and I thought I was OCD
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
davis131

Post by davis131 »

Paulaboutform I'm with you on extra stuff,now can ya show me a nice take-down bow case to carry all this...That's my next thing,I think I'm going to try to modify a small hard case so I can just unbolt the limb assembly an have the stock,limb assemble,extra limbs an quiver,with maybe a box in it for allens an strings...