Locking your climber

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sproulman

Locking your climber

Post by sproulman »

I know this is not about crossbows but I see a lot use climber..We locked ours with cable locks and they cut them off..

I was thinking of some type of chain that you cannot cut off with hacksaw or bolt cutters.Lock they cannot cut off..

any ideas/ Thanks..
Kegbelly

Re: Locking your climber

Post by Kegbelly »

A heavy chain and one of those round locks you can't get a pair of bolt cutters on might deter someone, but if somebody wants it bad enough they'll get it. Only way to be sure is to take it with you when you leave. :(
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
janesy

Post by janesy »

Gold coloured hardened transport chain. And the lock Kegbelly mentioned. Doubt they will have a grinder with them
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

janesy wrote:Doubt they will have a grinder with them
The battery powered SawzAll and 4 1/2" grinders with cut off discs are everywhere now!! That's the only way I can explain some many thefts around here. You can't leave anything out here on Public Land anymore. Some Private Land isn't immune either.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I doubt you can stop those wid the cutoff wheeled battery powered grinder. Heck they cut my 3/4" cable n stole my Ladder stand off my plce about 3 yrs ago
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Take it out with you each time is the only way to keep it from getting ripped off!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
janesy

Post by janesy »

ko4nrbs wrote:
janesy wrote:Doubt they will have a grinder with them
The battery powered SawzAll and 4 1/2" grinders with cut off discs are everywhere now!! That's the only way I can explain some many thefts around here. You can't leave anything out here on Public Land anymore. Some Private Land isn't immune either.
Bill
You're right. But it'll stop everyone else who walks past it. Nothing will stop someone who has made up their mind to take it. All you can do is make it as hard as possible and hope them move on to the next one. Criminals are opertunistic by nature. Anyone who leave anything on public land is just stupid now a days. It's a true shame, but it's the way it is.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

It's a real shame that you have to lock your stuff up and still worry that someone will still and try to steal your stands. Like Jansey said in his thread you can use harden chain which I have used. As far has climbers I take mine in and out. One way is to buy cheaper stands. Over the years I went this way and they seem to last. When you put good stands they will steal them in a heart beat. One other method I used too was the old AP Skyhooks which you use a bolt and the steps are removable and this makes a bit more difficult for them to get to your stand. AP does not make them anymore but there is a new company called Bear Claw and they are lot better then the old AP ones, check them out on the web.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

You can get the best, hardest, toughest material on the market today, if they want it bad enough they will cut the tree down, If most thieves worked as hard on as they do stealing, and applying the same effort to being honest they would probably make good people.... :roll:

Dave :wink:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Thanks all ..my summit 180 max is like micro its taken care of so I do not want to loose another 400 dollar climber ....

So back to using the deer cart and going in dark earlier etc which is pain at 10 degrees ...If i use ladderstand they sit near me most of day smoking cigs ....will return next year and sit there again.....
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

When i last hunted public land i had a homemade Ghillie suit n a dove stool. I found a ground blind provided by nature n hunted. Nutten was ever stole i wore it in & out
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DanO

Post by DanO »

I'm going to hunt the evening hunt. Chain the climber. Return before dawn to hunt againthen pack it out when I leave in the morning. I figure not many guys will stumble upon it and have the time to go get the needed tool to steal it. heck I might bump into them if they're that quick.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

I use a choke chain and heavy duty lock on my summit viper. I usually try not to leave it for long periods time. It's not public land but the land owner is fairly free with giving permission. Once I went in the dark and someone removed my markers I placed on the trail in. I guess they thought I wouldn't find my way to it or they were returning with the necessary tools, who knows!! It came with me that day!
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Locks are for honest people , if a bad guy wants it bad enough nothing will matter
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The Climber is for packing in & out, do some sit ups, and chin ups old man! :lol: :lol: I carry mine, and the SOB that wants to steal it will get a face full of fist followed by some Winchester 9MM. 8) If it can walk, it will ! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!