Cocking on or off stand?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VTbowman

Cocking on or off stand?

Post by VTbowman »

So I was really early in my stand this AM and in the dark I was wondering how it must be to cock a crossbow up in a treestand. Noise could get bad with the stirrup on the metal platform id think. Motion seems equally bad.
I assume most just cock it at the truck n leave it that way till back to the truck. Thats my plan anyways. Remove bolt while pulling xbow up of coarse. But leave it cocked n safety on.
But im thinking on those 2nd shots or reloading after a first from a treestand.
Am I over thinking this?!? Lol
Is there a trick or technique to doing this quietly?
Micro 335 Real Tree Xtra with Air Brakes.
8ptCustom String in Camo
Tac Zone
BE Zombies Slayers .001
sproulman

Re: Cocking on or off stand?

Post by sproulman »

My summit 180 max i can cock bow .but i always make first shot count while archery hunting or gun...so keep your shots to 30 yards and no second shot needed or Buck walks..
Opey

Post by Opey »

I shot a 8 point from my stand and with in minutes a seven point came in. I ended up not taking him but it was actually pretty easy to cock it in my stand and put in a bolt. I hunt at least 20' up and use a Gorilla climber tree stand.
JimM

Post by JimM »

If I need a second shot or while I'm giving a deer time to expire I just sit down put my bow in front of me, put my foot in the stirrup and and pull with my arms and back and push with my leg. If that makes sense. Been doing that years with my Exocet. Haven't had the chance or have to do it yet with the new micro.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Here where I hunt it's illegal to have a xbow cocked or loaded, it has to be in a transport case until 30mins before sunrise or 30 mins after sunset. That said I usually arrive to my stand in the dark til it's level to load up the 2mins where I climb down from my stand to cock my xbow and get back up has never made a difference, I just do it as quietly and quickly as possible by the time I'm back in my stand most game will come around, if they are there, within 10-15minutes.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
galamb

Post by galamb »

In Ontario it's not "loaded" unless it's cocked AND a bolt/arrow is in it's normal shooting position.

But, until half hour "before" sunrise and beyond a half hour "after" sunset it must be cased (including cloth zipper bags etc) IF you are in an area "frequented" by game animals (so anywhere in the woods) - but it can remain cocked while stored.

So I cock "at the truck" - if it's still dark it goes in an Excal zippered cloth bag, if not, it goes in "cocked" and usually "nocked" as well in case I jump something on the way in.

At the stand I remove the arrow and use a rope to haul it up to the stand "cocked" - as long as it's a "clear path" on the way up there is nothing for it to hook up/hang up on and possible dry fire accidentally.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Yes, you're overthinking it. :lol: If you can stand up in your treestand, you can easily cock your crossbow while in the stand. In the mornings before daylight I don't cock mine until I'm in the tree. In the afternoon I cock it before leaving the truck because you never know when you'll walk up on a shooter. I hunt from both ladder and hang-on stands mostly and it is no problem in either. As for noise, the only significant sound is when the latches click on the string. The metal on metal contact from the stirrup is practically nothing unless you're the bull in a china shop type.

There are a couple things to look out for though. Some of the single person ladder stands are very narrow. If it has bars that parallel your legs while you are seated, there may not be enough room on the platform for the limbs to move. Some climbers are also rather narrow for full size bows so you have to get creative to get the bow onto the platform into position to cock it.

I haven't sat in a stand yet where I couldn't easily cock my bow and sound has never really been an issue.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

ihunt wrote:Here where I hunt it's illegal to have a xbow cocked or loaded, it has to be in a transport case until 30mins before sunrise or 30 mins after sunset. That said I usually arrive to my stand in the dark til it's level to load up the 2mins where I climb down from my stand to cock my xbow and get back up has never made a difference, I just do it as quietly and quickly as possible by the time I'm back in my stand most game will come around, if they are there, within 10-15minutes.
I hate that "in the case rule" and I do not know anyone who follows it. I came out in the dark two years ago to find a game warden(1st time In 30yrs) waiting by my car, and all he wanted was to see my license, he did not care at all about where the case was.

I guess I should sew up some kind of thin material with a zipper to use as a case, but I'm definitely not hauling around my Excalibur soft case.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
SEW

Post by SEW »

The DrStirrup stirrup and rope cocker makes it much easier than stock. Much easier!