Any cold weather hunters?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ihunt

Re: Any cold weather hunters?

Post by ihunt »

ko4nrbs wrote: I also use a SURE Unscented Antiperspirant to spray my feet down good before I put on my polypropylene thin socks. It does seem to help to keep my feet from sweating.

Bill
That is a Great idea! Gotta try that.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Thanks for the input everyone!!! Great ideas and good choices will be checking them out. :D
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
VTbowman

Post by VTbowman »

The one minus to using layers is figuring out how much to wear n how much to carry in. I tend to over dress then sweat on my way to my stand n then freeze because of it. Trick is to regulate your body temp as your sweat evaporates. Let it dry but dont cool your body down fast nor to much. Its hard to regain inner body temps without moving around to much.
Scent free or blocking wipes help too

I like the foot spray idea under the polypropylene socks and heavy wools. I always wear the tall rubber Lacrosse boots so this method is a must to aid in controlling sweaty feet.
Jmo
Micro 335 Real Tree Xtra with Air Brakes.
8ptCustom String in Camo
Tac Zone
BE Zombies Slayers .001
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I buy those chemical packs, the ones you shake, and put them in my gloves and one behind my neck and another on my back and chest. If you buy them at Costco by the box, they are quite inexpensive.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

I like my "Kings" parka...It really seems designed to hunt in..
http://www.kingscamo.com/Weather-Pro-In ... _1188.html

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've been using the Arctic Shield parka and bibs for years and I'm very impressed. I've hunted throughout B.C. and Alberta from Edmonton to Grand Prairie in weather to -45 C.. I layer with mid weight then heavyweight base layers, then heavyweight fleece on top and bottom. Socks are a thin base layer and Heavy Marino wool up the full calf. I seem to be more comfortable than my hunting buddies when we're sharing a blind in that weather. Sitting still is the biggest challenge for staying warm and I'll add hot shots and hot hand foot warmers to the mix. That's my recipe and I do recommend the Arctic Shield. I still use it so I don't know if they've come up with something superior for the extreme weather but I'd certainly be open to it.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Lots of layers and warm boots. I've had good results with ECWCS fleece over a wicking layer .
But warm boots are key. I hate cold feet, it seems to draw my attention away and it's all I can think about.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

MTBighorn wrote:I like my "Kings" parka...It really seems designed to hunt in..
http://www.kingscamo.com/Weather-Pro-In ... _1188.html

Nice looking Parka and I like the matching Xbow looks real cool, pun intended :D
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

paulaboutform wrote:I've been using the Arctic Shield parka and bibs for years and I'm very impressed. I've hunted throughout B.C. and Alberta from Edmonton to Grand Prairie in weather to -45 C.. I layer with mid weight then heavyweight base layers, then heavyweight fleece on top and bottom. Socks are a thin base layer and Heavy Marino wool up the full calf. I seem to be more comfortable than my hunting buddies when we're sharing a blind in that weather. Sitting still is the biggest challenge for staying warm and I'll add hot shots and hot hand foot warmers to the mix. That's my recipe and I do recommend the Arctic Shield. I still use it so I don't know if they've come up with something superior for the extreme weather but I'd certainly be open to it.

Paul
Thanks will check out the Atric Shield and I agree with everyone layering is the key. Also, gotta get some of those hot shots/shake and use heating pads, does anyone know how long do they last?
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I wear only shirt/pants no long underwear this way i do not get sweaty ..I carry my WARMBAG and slip it on ...In fact i will use my WARMBAG suit on wed when its 31 degrees here in pa archery ....No insulated boots i use uninsulated aslo hiking boots...
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Paul, it depends on the brand and the size of the heat pack, but the ones I get at Costco last quite a few hours. If you buy them individually, they get pricey, but by the box it's quite inexpensive, I think I paid $12 last year, and always have some left after the season which I use for yote hunting.

I remember when they first came on the market, I think called Hot Shots, they were much hotter than they are now.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Layer up and I wear cabelas inferno boots to solve my cold feet!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I know I need glasses, so, is that you up in the tree?
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

When it's really cold - I wear base layers of thermal wicking underwear and layers of more of the same type of material on top. Then a pair of insulated bibs with a one piece insulated XL suit on top of that with a hooded XL jacket on top of that.
I put the artic shield overboots on top of my 2000 gram rubber boots which have heat packs inside.
I also wear multiple layers of head coverings.
With all this stuff on, the hardest part is bending over to get the overboots on - but I am warm.
If I get a deer, the first thing that I do is take all the layers off so I only have the bibs on.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Go on youtube and enter THE WARMBAG AT SHOT SHOW ..This is what i use even now at 45 degrees here in pa with mornings at 31 degrees..no long underwear ,no getting sweaty walking in,you can wear it in /out if you like .....i put it on in my treestand and i take my UNINSULATED hiking boots off and leave inside and wiggle my toes i am standing in my socks 15 ft up tree ..

i put my lunch in bottom also on floor inside bag ..

only PROBLEM i have is my arms get cold outside the bag i like to leave my arms out the sides not inside but at 10 degrees its too cold with just a shirt on .

So need some advice on how to make arm sleeves or something to keep my arms warm ..the WARMBAG works by NOT having heavy clothes on it is 67 degrees inside if you do it right way..

I miss talking to Joe Light inventor he truly was great at this invention......