Any cold weather hunters?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sproulman

Re: Any cold weather hunters?

Post by sproulman »

ihunt wrote:I can understand the 'dress in layer' combo but still I find when I reach my spot and then put on the remaining layers including a windbreaker after a few hours I start to get cold again which is not so pleasant. A matter of fact in the winter I go cross country skiing or snowshoeing that is what I do wear in layers, guess by then I'm use to the cold weather so I don't complain as much. I love winter and that's when I'm more active compared to summer.
When i get to spot i am hunting to sit OFF comes my socks i walked in with on with nice dry pair ..if not your feet will get cold....
Masterhunter

Post by Masterhunter »

rein1 wrote:I layer up and jump into my heater body suit,,, Keeps me warm and toasty., To those that never heard if it, Its like a sleeping bag that you can get into when your in your tree stand or ground blind .. When your done hunting you just climb out and roll it up..

Main idea in cold weather is don't dress to heavy if you have a long walk to your stand ... Sweating is a killer in cold weather ..
I love my heater body bag and I refuse to be on stand without it. I also wear wool from head to toe.
What you do next reflects what you believe.
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

After looking at my gear a little closer today I have the MT050 Whitetail Extreme parka and bibs from Cabelas. One reason I went this route is they are offered in Tall sizes and at 6-5 that really helps the fit. Also if anyone is interested they are on sale right now. Pretty heavily discounted but still not cheap. I bought mine this time last year at similar prices. I love buying my own Christmas presents :) Always the right size and the right caliber... :wink:

Also I bought one size larger so it is easier to layer up. If I want I could be as big and fluffy as the Michelin man just invisible :mrgreen:
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

I have two outfits that I use when it's cold weather hunting. One is a Cabelas heavy duty coveralls. They are very warm. The other I use is Scentblocker Outfitter series.they are rain and wind proof. Sometime I will were a hoody under the jacket instead of the liner. I also were just a pair of under armor underware under both.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
8ball

Post by 8ball »

sproulman wrote:Go on youtube and enter THE WARMBAG AT SHOT SHOW ..This is what i use even now at 45 degrees here in pa with mornings at 31 degrees..no long underwear ,no getting sweaty walking in,you can wear it in /out if you like .....i put it on in my treestand and i take my UNINSULATED hiking boots off and leave inside and wiggle my toes i am standing in my socks 15 ft up tree ..

i put my lunch in bottom also on floor inside bag ..

only PROBLEM i have is my arms get cold outside the bag i like to leave my arms out the sides not inside but at 10 degrees its too cold with just a shirt on .

So need some advice on how to make arm sleeves or something to keep my arms warm ..the WARMBAG works by NOT having heavy clothes on it is 67 degrees inside if you do it right way..

I miss talking to Joe Light inventor he truly was great at this invention......
Try one of these they have arms.
http://iwomouterwear.com/
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

OK update been gone the last two weeks deer hunting had cool to cold weather minus -5c (23 f) not counting the windshield factor. I did what two posters suggested:
Hunt it wrote:Down, as long as you keep it dry is one of the best insulators out there. The lightest and most compact as well. I have a NorthFace down parka that fits under any of my hunting outfits easy can be compacted to fit in my fanny pack and comes out when on the stand.
And
ko4nrbs wrote: I also use a SURE Unscented Antiperspirant to spray my feet down good before I put on my polypropylene thin socks. It does seem to help to keep my feet from sweating.
Bill
Wore layered clothing from a base layer to draw moisture away, next a fleece vest and a fall camp coat. when I arrived at blind I removed coat to put on another layer of fleece jacket then my North face down compact parka and put back on my fall camo coat. As for my feet I dried feet before venturing out and sprayed some unscented Antiperspirant spray on my feet and then worn some thin polypropylene socks and added another thin merino wool socks. Well after sitting for nearly 9 to 10 hrs I was comfortable wasn't hot or cold just comfortable. I did noticed one thing about the feet, my feet did get cold but it took twice as long before my feet got cold compared to not using any antiperspirant spray, mind you it was late in the day.

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions.
Thanks to Hunt it & ko4nrbs
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

Johnson wool pants,vest,hooded coat and smart wool underwear. then its
in the blind with a propane heater. pack boots also.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

This with a thin camo cover up. Done..

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

How long does the battery last??
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Bullzeye wrote:How long does the battery last??

Not sure yet but on low it says 4hrs..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.