Any cold weather hunters?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ihunt

Any cold weather hunters?

Post by ihunt »

Looking at cold weather clothing.
I'm talking about really cold possible snowy weather so what do do you wear?
I'm looking at two coats:

Browning HELL'S CANYON 4/1 PRIMALOFT PARKA

Underarmour COLDGEAR INFRARED SKYSWEEPER PARKA

What are your thoughts, anyone tried one of these? Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
SummitSitter

Re: Any cold weather hunters?

Post by SummitSitter »

I have a set of bibs and parka from Cabela's that I bought a few years back and still use it. Whitetail Extreme is the style. Very warm and comfortable...
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Day One Camouflage makes some of the warmest hunting clothes out there.. I have their insulated fleece bibs and Parka with the stand up collar and it's sized for the individual.. you can order it with insulation including wind stop fabic built in etc..

https://dayonecamouflage.com/
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
galamb

Post by galamb »

The late bow in Ontario goes from the middle of November (after the gun hunt) until New Years Eve (at least where I hunt).

So I have been out in some "very cold" weather some years trying to fill a tag.

I wear a Remington 4-in-1 Parka that I have had for a good number of years "with the liner installed" :)

Under that I wear a fleece zip up (long sleeve) and under that a long sleeve "base layer" (omni heat line from Columbia)

With that I add a pair of insulated pants/omni heat long johns and a good insulated toque (eh!).

Layers is the key - if you are warm you can always "lose" a layer.

But what I "don't leave home without" is the single use hand and toe warmers (Hot Hands). I have a pair of shooting mitts that have the zipper pocket to put the warmers in and the toe warmers go right on my socks before I leave the truck (not needed if you will be doing a lot of walking, but if sitting the stand I can stay put "forever" if my hands and feet aren't cold).

And then on top of that I never plan on staying out longer than practical - which is often no more than two hours. If the camera's are saying that Bambi is not coming in before say 4:30 pm, there is no need to be there at noon :)

Now I will put on my "work cap" for a moment (I sell guns/ammo/hunting supplies).

The Hell's Canyon parka is awesome - really nice piece of kit and I would certainly wear one myself - BUT - you are paying a super premium for that "Buckmark" logo - easily doubles the "cost" of what you are getting. And after the stunt that Under Armor pulled, ripping the sponsorship of a hunter because he took a bear with a spear (which was LEGAL and totally in line with the game regulations in Alberta) I wouldn't spend a penny on their gear, no matter how good it is.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

This Florida redneck bought a set of Canadian made Raven Wear bibs when I went on my Alberta hunt. Along with some very good wool underwear,I stayed warm in -26 F weather.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I'm a whimp but spend long hours in my stand.

Battery Operated Hand Warmers (one for each hand)
https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-pro ... and+warmer

Battery operated boot insoles
https://www.amazon.com/AWOEZ-Electric-B ... er+insoles

Cabelas Insulated Coveralls and Thermal Underwear

Basspro Treestand Socks

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
rein1

Post by rein1 »

I layer up and jump into my heater body suit,,, Keeps me warm and toasty., To those that never heard if it, Its like a sleeping bag that you can get into when your in your tree stand or ground blind .. When your done hunting you just climb out and roll it up..

Main idea in cold weather is don't dress to heavy if you have a long walk to your stand ... Sweating is a killer in cold weather ..
VTbowman

Post by VTbowman »

Northern Vermont and Maine hunter here. Ice fishing too. Like others have mentioned already. Layers and layers. You dont even have to go pricey in layers. Walmart is good. In my early years i wore regular winter clothing, jeams n long sleeves, sweats. Just regular miss match colors. Then I had a set of huge thin camo hoodie n sweat pants for my camo. I mostly own Under Armor stuff now from thin to bulky heavy. One thing I always do is Add fleece in at least one inner layer. Wool socks with min of 70% marino wool blend. Read the lables because not all "hunting socks" are for real hunting. Also a polypropylene thin sock under your wool socks. Wicks away sweat hence no cold feet.
Fleece and wool will prob keep you the warmest but not when wind is biting. Need a poly fabric to break wind. Jmo but Im normally good all day in layers being near motionless in a treestand.
If ground hunting and walking you can shed some or the more bulkier layers.
Hand warmers help too. Hate my lil fingers getting cold. Lol
Micro 335 Real Tree Xtra with Air Brakes.
8ptCustom String in Camo
Tac Zone
BE Zombies Slayers .001
Krex1010

Post by Krex1010 »

Good clothing is a must, but speaking of chemical hand warmers...I take a pair of long socks and use rubber bands to make a few section in each sock and stick a hand warmer in each section and then attach the socks together and drap it around my neck so I have 2 strip of hand warmers hanging down my chest under my coat, works pretty well on the really cold days!
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

SummitSitter wrote:I have a set of bibs and parka from Cabela's that I bought a few years back and still use it. Whitetail Extreme is the style. Very warm and comfortable...
I really am likening those Whitetail Extreme :D
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

I can understand the 'dress in layer' combo but still I find when I reach my spot and then put on the remaining layers including a windbreaker after a few hours I start to get cold again which is not so pleasant. A matter of fact in the winter I go cross country skiing or snowshoeing that is what I do wear in layers, guess by then I'm use to the cold weather so I don't complain as much. I love winter and that's when I'm more active compared to summer.
Last edited by ihunt on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

rein1 wrote:I layer up and jump into my heater body suit,,, Keeps me warm and toasty., To those that never heard if it, Its like a sleeping bag that you can get into when your in your tree stand or ground blind .. When your done hunting you just climb out and roll it up..

Main idea in cold weather is don't dress to heavy if you have a long walk to your stand ... Sweating is a killer in cold weather ..
I see this product I believe on Wild TV I'm not knocking down the product but wouldn't you get mud, leaves and gunk from your boots inside the body suit?
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

I like a good base layer as well.but when it gets real cold go to the drug store and buy instant heat compress life brand. Thy are used for heat therepy.
I place them over my kidneys. Thy are a chemical heat pad and stick to your bare skin. Thy work great by warming the blood.Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Down, as long as you keep it dry is one of the best insulators out there. The lightest and most compact as well. I have a NorthFace down parka that fits under any of my hunting outfits easy can be compacted to fit in my fanny pack and comes out when on the stand. Under my King of Mountain wool the down makes it cosy down to -50 or so. Years back I used to use a -40 sleeping bag and sit in it on watch it was very warm - same idea as heater body suit - it works!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

[quote="VTbowman"]socks" are for real hunting. Also a polypropylene thin sock under your wool socks. Wicks away sweat hence no cold feet.
/quote]
I also use a SURE Unscented Antiperspirant to spray my feet down good before I put on my polypropylene thin socks. It does seem to help to keep my feet from sweating.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35