ditching blazers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

ditching blazers

Post by gerald strine »

I have been having my share of trouble getting blazer vanes to adhere properly over the years first set up was carbon Easton carbon Power Bolts, Platnium Fletch Tite, Arizonia E Z Fletch jig. prep shafts with light sanding , alcohol every thing looks great but hit or miss on how well it adheres loose vanes on normal field use just carrying bolts in quiver .
Tried a craft glue I really like for the heck of it called Fabric Tac and that seamed to work much better.
Fast forward I got some aluminum shafts, cleaned ,prepped,blazers, fletch tite,Arizona E Z Fletch jig same problem veins falling off in quiver, woods , car.
I should have used the Fabric tack glue but it slipped my mind. Looking at the veins that come off easy looks like that the nice line of Fletch Tite that I run down the Fletching is almost all squeezed buy the jig not much on the vein even though I had a perfect bead line to start out.
So I went to plan B on the aluminum and I used a Blazer vein for a pattern to cut real feathers to shape and used the fabric tac glue. so far so good but it early I have not had much carry time yet.
They shoot great and a bonus is that 3 feather blazers so to speak weigh 15.4 grams less than 3 plastic blazers.
3 blazers 19.4 gr
3 real feathers cut to blazer pattern 4 gr
Any one else have troubles like mine ?
I tried a G5 like super glue but hated it, it stuck but was to thin got on jig to easy and residue on unwanted places was frustrating, seams like the fumes stuck to stuff.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
paulaboutform

Re: ditching blazers

Post by paulaboutform »

If you have bonding issues you need to inspect the shaft and the vanes. This will tell you where you're not prepping correctly. Are you seeing glue on the shaft or the vanes when they're coming off? Also, not all glues or epoxies are created equal.
I use blazers and have a heck of a time removing damaged vanes because they adhere so well. I suggest a few things.
1. Use acetone to clean your shafts
2. Use a primer called Zing made by Flex Fletch to prep your vanes when in your jig
***do not touch the shaft or vanes once they're prepped and cleaned as the oil from your fingers can affect the bond***
***you can also clean your vanes with acetone but I prefer the Zing primer
3. I've had best results using G5 Blue Glue. Others here swear by the Gorilla Blue Top glue.
4. Do not run a bead down the entire vane as you'll most likely end up using too much glue and a big mess. ***Rather, put three or four tiny spots of glue on the base of the vane in the jig and spread it out to cover the entire thing with a toothpick. Do all three vanes in the jig, insert the shaft and close it slowly and place the jig cap over the arms until it's in place. Do not push down harder, let the jig do it's job.
5.If you get build up on the jig arms, pour enough acetone into a glass jar to cover the arms and put your jig, arms down, into the jar for fifteen to twenty minutes. It won't hurt your jig, I promise.
With the proper prep and materials you'll be amazed at the fantastic, and non frustrating, results you'll have. I encourage you to try this.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
lunghit

Post by lunghit »

I use the Arizona EZ fletch with blazer vanes and have made many dozens of arrows with no issues. I clean the shaft and base of the vane with Acetone and use Gorilla glue blue cap impact resistant glue. I also rub some string wax on the clamp where the vane sits. This keeps the glue from bonding the vane to the clamp arms.
Excal Wolverine
Hawke XB-30
Boo

Post by Boo »

One word from me. Acetone.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Good advice from Paul, follow his instructions and you will do just fine. just remember less is more when it comes to glue.
W.M.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Use acetone, not alcohol. :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Unless you got a bad batch, I don't see how this is the Blazers fault.

I had adhesion problems and couldn't pinpoint the source until I switched glues. The place I was buying my blue top gorilla glues didn't turn over the stock fast enough and I was buying old, stale glue that lost its adhesiveness.

I follow Paulaboutform's method detailed above to a T with one exception - I use Flex Fletch's Zing Kling glue. No adhesion problems anymore.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits

Post by newbie »

good advice
clean and prep.
ditch that glue .
I ha e only had issues once and it was old glue i mixed up bottles. i Now buy small tubes of gorillia and it toss it in my tool box after i make up my arrows.
Last edited by newbie on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Sounds line acetone is the ticket, thanks for the feedback.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

paulaboutform wrote:If you have bonding issues you need to inspect the shaft and the vanes. This will tell you where you're not prepping correctly. Are you seeing glue on the shaft or the vanes when they're coming off? Also, not all glues or epoxies are created equal.
I use blazers and have a heck of a time removing damaged vanes because they adhere so well. I suggest a few things.
1. Use acetone to clean your shafts
2. Use a primer called Zing made by Flex Fletch to prep your vanes when in your jig
***do not touch the shaft or vanes once they're prepped and cleaned as the oil from your fingers can affect the bond***
***you can also clean your vanes with acetone but I prefer the Zing primer
3. I've had best results using G5 Blue Glue. Others here swear by the Gorilla Blue Top glue.
4. Do not run a bead down the entire vane as you'll most likely end up using too much glue and a big mess. ***Rather, put three or four tiny spots of glue on the base of the vane in the jig and spread it out to cover the entire thing with a toothpick. Do all three vanes in the jig, insert the shaft and close it slowly and place the jig cap over the arms until it's in place. Do not push down harder, let the jig do it's job.
5.If you get build up on the jig arms, pour enough acetone into a glass jar to cover the arms and put your jig, arms down, into the jar for fifteen to twenty minutes. It won't hurt your jig, I promise.
With the proper prep and materials you'll be amazed at the fantastic, and non frustrating, results you'll have. I encourage you to try this.

Paul
Absolutely correct!!!!....personally I think the biggest problem is the handling of the BV's with one's hand....they must be made sterile and kept that way.....

....I even got so far as taking a piece of fine grit sandpaper fold it and run the folded edge IN the BV groove prior to cleaning the groove with acetone....

....a final step I perform is after the arra is removed from the EZ Fletch, I run a toothpick along both sides of the BV on the ledge that adheres to the arra....

....I am NOT a fan of the G5 glue but am a fan of the Gorilla Blue top glue.

....So many people use the BV and EZ Fletch and swear by it ....I think when there is an issue it is usually with preparation process and not the BV's

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
wvnitroman

Post by wvnitroman »

I didn't read all the posts but I didn't see you mention sanding the veins where they glue. I had the same problem when I first starting shooting veins but that problem was completely solved by sanding the veins. :D
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

wvnitroman wrote:I didn't read all the posts but I didn't see you mention sanding the veins where they glue. I had the same problem when I first starting shooting veins but that problem was completely solved by sanding the veins. :D
....exactly what I said in the post right above yours!!! :wink:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I've used Blazers with no problems since they came out, like others have said used acetone and clean your shafts properly. I've used a lot of didn't glues over the years but now I use Loctite Fast Set Gel that I get at Walmart for about $4.00 for a Double Pack and this does the trick on vanes and inserts with no issues. Good luck I hope you find something that will hold for you.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads

Post by newbie »

no real magic involved. clean and prep. and keep clean. no need to sand the bottom if you clean properly and use fresh glue.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
janesy

Post by janesy »

I can't say I have made my own arrows, but I have repaired quite a few where the Blazer was half torn off or what not. Light sand, acetone and blue gorilla glue has always worked and worked well. Without a jig, you have to hold it for a while but it works great.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme