Slick Trick GrizzTrick 2 Broadheads-UPDATE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Slick Trick GrizzTrick 2 Broadheads-UPDATE

Post by paulaboutform »

Well, I have been shooting the Toxic Broadheads for the past three years with stellar results and just couldn't bring myself to try anything else. Before the Toxics I had shot 100gr Slick Trick Standards for EVERYTHING. I was intrigued by Sew's recent mention of the GrizzTrick 2 Broadheads. Sooo, I just picked up some 125gr with replacement blades and I'm anxious to get to the range with them. They have made some changes from the originals I've had for years. I don't know if this is with all the Slicks or just the Grizz. The base of the blades are recessed to receive the o-ring and the ferrul cutouts appear to be longer in the front end. Again, I don't know if this is just with the Grizz. Nonetheless, they do have the solid construction Slicks are known for and I will be putting them on the spinner before sending any down range. I'd love to hear about any findings you've had and the ranges they've been tested at. I've shot my toxics out to 70yards with great groups and don't expect anything less from the Grizz. Thoughts?

Paul
Last edited by paulaboutform on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: Slick Trick GrizzTrick 2 Broadheads

Post by Hunt it »

I bought some Grizz tricks and could not get them to group well beyond 40 yards out of my 380. Well made, I liked them but my G5 Strikers out performed. I also tried some Phat Heads from steel Force - tough and thick but same results... Good out to 40 but not so good beyond. Hopefully you will have better luck.
Spike Country

Post by Spike Country »

Just started shooting them out of my M350 and couldn't be happier with how they fly. I only tested them out to 40 so far but I am getting same poi as field points.
MICHIGAN MEAT HUNTER "Shooting Tomorrows Trophies Today"
Proud member of the Michigan Crossbow Federation!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Wow! I'm really kinda surprised at that. What kind of arrow recipe are you using? I've gone to 110 grain inserts with 125gr points. Are you a little lighter up front?

Paul
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Tried them on 18" zombies and executioners - 110 inserts in both 2" Blazers on both - same results
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Got me some and they fly great for me @ 50 . don't plan to shoot over 30 my set up is 18" z's 92 up front 2" blazers ,with lumenock. you can't destroy them . the only thing wrong with them they leave a mess in the woods , red stuff all over :lol: just make sure that you put the ring on wright very sharp be careful.
W.M.
Spike Country

Post by Spike Country »

100gr grizz, 92gr insert, 15.5 laser III, lumenok on the back, blazers with heavy helical, blades lined up at 12, 3 , 6, 9,(not sure if this matters) 375gr at about 340 fps.
MICHIGAN MEAT HUNTER "Shooting Tomorrows Trophies Today"
Proud member of the Michigan Crossbow Federation!
Timmypo1

Post by Timmypo1 »

Not sure if all excaliburs have the same quiver or not, but they're a little large for my Micro quiver. The 2 inside arrows are hard to extract, they snag up. I definitely wouldn't want to deal with it if I was trying to reload quickly.
Micro 355

Post by newbie »

Timmypo1 wrote:Not sure if all excaliburs have the same quiver or not, but they're a little large for my Micro quiver. The 2 inside arrows are hard to extract, they snag up. I definitely wouldn't want to deal with it if I was trying to reload quickly.
You need to pull the arrow up until the broadhead clears the hood, put them in the same way.
Paul mine group great to 30 yards, I think i will be shoothing them next year.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I had trouble getting mine out until I figured out to slide them back first and then remove them from the quiver. try this and you will find they fit just fine.
W.M.
Timmypo1

Post by Timmypo1 »

newbie wrote:
Timmypo1 wrote:Not sure if all excaliburs have the same quiver or not, but they're a little large for my Micro quiver. The 2 inside arrows are hard to extract, they snag up. I definitely wouldn't want to deal with it if I was trying to reload quickly.
You need to pull the arrow up until the broadhead clears the hood, put them in the same way.
Paul mine group great to 30 yards, I think i will be shoothing them next year.
Makes sense, I'll have to give it a try when I get home. They shot well out to 40 yards out of my vertical bow. I briefly tried them out at 20 yards with my micro, but put them away when I noticed the quiver issue. I'll have to revisit.
Micro 355
SEW

Post by SEW »

I've tested the Griz Tricks 125g (4-blade, 1 1/4", ie pretty big cut) on 20" STs, helical Blazers, 92g inserts out of BD400 & M380. Indexed 3,6,9,12; and yes, it made a big difference! Groups at 80 yds were consistently slightly below 2" (FOCs were closer to 1").

Other testing with 175gXbow Tricks with 18"Zs, Offset & Helical Blazers with 26g inserts, flat plastic nocks. At 80 yds, there was a noticeable difference in group size (helical better) and helical hit appx 5" to the left of the offset.
On another day I tested the Xbow Tricks vs FOCs on the helical Blazer'd out to 80 yds. The wind was varying from 5-10ish mph from the right. The Xbow Tricks(very small profile -1"cut only), were deflected nearly twice as much as the ZOCs.

Practice in the wind is critical for longer distance shooters. It might even affect broadhead selection.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I have used them for 4 years now and thats all I shoot now. I get very good groups out to 40 yards with 18 Zombies and 92 gr. inserts. I also shoot the old style125 gr. Grizztricks and my wife shoots the new ones. The blades don't interchange but the old style is shorter and the chisel point is better IMO. I haven't seen the old style Grizztricks being sold anymore so I have to get them direct from ST. These broadheads cut very nice holes and leave lots of blood on a well placed shot. You can't go wrong with them.
I really don't know how they group past 50 since I don't shoot farther than that at animals.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
SEW

Post by SEW »

Hester0305 wrote: I really don't know how they group past 50 since I don't shoot farther than that at animals.
A thought. Practice way past where you plan to limit yourself. Shoot in windy conditions, low light conditions, opposite hand/eye, etc. Then normal shots will be overly easy, abnormal shots easier.

About 4 years ago, I saw a huge bobcat (weighed 49# after loosing a lot of blood) sneaking up on a solitary, feeding doe. I ranged it: 103 yards. A great scope, HHA Optimizer, etc saved that doe's life that day. Oh yes, and an Excalibur!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm very familiar with the standard slicks from my compound shooting a 450 grain arrow at about 270fps from a properly tuned bow and found zero deviation from blade orientation. I haven't tested this from a crossbow shooting a 12" shorter arrow 100fps faster. I will absolutely spin test every arrow to make sure it has proper alignment and go from there. I don't plan on making up new arrows to dry fit and orient the blades at this point but that may be something I'll do when making up new arrows as it makes no difference with my toxics or QAD's. I'll report back after testing. Thanks again.

Paul