Aligning Broadheads with Fletchings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ghall6292

Aligning Broadheads with Fletchings

Post by ghall6292 »

Just got a half dozen Zombies with 92 gr. brass inserts. All fletching is the same color (no cock feather.) My broadheads do not line up at the desired 3 o'clock/9 o'clock position on any of them. Thinking about removing the inserts and spinning them to the correct position. Can I soak them in acetone and pull them out? Don't really want to use heat and ruin them. If so, what glue to put 'em back in? In the old days, I used hot melt sticks on woodies and aluminum, and still have a couple. Good choice for carbon/brass attachment?
Fullquiver

Re: Aligning Broadheads with Fletchings

Post by Fullquiver »

Never soak carbon shafts in acetone it can greatly weaken the shafts as it can affect the glue that holds the carbon fibers together.

Secondly, it has been proven over and over that alignment of the broadhead has no impact on broadhead performance. So don't sweat it. The bigger issues are if the spine of your arrows is aligned, heads that spin true and if you have proper FOC. Which with 92gr inserts sounds like you have covered.
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.
acreek

Post by acreek »

I try to match broadhead blades to vanes, too, (doing so while making the arrows and bolts to begin with). But honestly, when using quality components with a tuned bow, I never saw a benefit from achieving it, other than it looking cool and playing with my mind.

I've shot fixed blade heads, 150 grain Magnus Stingers, out of multiple Excalibur bows and with the blades positioned every which way in relation to the blazer vanes and they all group the same, an inch high. Same goes for 100 grain Dead Ringer Rampage heads (which actually group better than field tips because the blades help spin the arrow) and Grim Reaper heads with my compound bow. And the same goes for the Magnus Stinger heads cited above with my recurve.

Try shooting your heads as they are now. I bet you find you don't need to index the blades to vanes.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

As other have said I'd not worry about that so much with Zombie shafts. If you have any that don't group well set them aside. Then number the vanes on those shafts ABC or 123 and try using each vane as the cocking vane to see if that brings them into line with others - this fixes most issues. The zombies being the stiffest arrows out there have very little spine issues so they can fletch wherever without putting cock feather on spine.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Hunt it wrote:As other have said I'd not worry about that so much with Zombie shafts. If you have any that don't group well set them aside. Then number the vanes on those shafts ABC or 123 and try using each vane as the cocking vane to see if that brings them into line with others - this fixes most issues. The zombies being the stiffest arrows out there have very little spine issues so they can fletch wherever without putting cock feather on spine.

This right here.....
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Fullquiver wrote:Never soak carbon shafts in acetone it can greatly weaken the shafts as it can affect the glue that holds the carbon fibers together.

Secondly, it has been proven over and over that alignment of the broadhead has no impact on broadhead performance. So don't sweat it. The bigger issues are if the spine of your arrows is aligned, heads that spin true and if you have proper FOC. Which with 92gr inserts sounds like you have covered.
I actually soak my fletch end of the shafts in a glass jar of acetone to clean off the residual fletching left on the shafts when I'm replacing my vanes. I also dunk my freshly cut and squared shafts in acetone before epoxying my inserts in to clean the residual carbon out. I have found no adverse effects or signs of the shafts breaking down. This is shooting arrows out of a M405, M380, and M405+++ custom.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
ghall6292

Post by ghall6292 »

Thanks everybody. Great advice here. That's what I like about the Excal Forum!