How important is it to index broadheads?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VTbowman

How important is it to index broadheads?

Post by VTbowman »

I never bothered with this on my compound arrows and has always pleased with the accuracy of them. Im wondering how important is it to do this with crossbow bolts.
Why do you folks do this? Faster speeds? Shorter shafts/stiffer spines?
Im getting a dozen cut down at a pro shop and wondered if I should do this or not. Also what is one using for glue on bolt inserts? I may just get them cut n glue em myself.
Micro 335 Real Tree Xtra with Air Brakes.
8ptCustom String in Camo
Tac Zone
BE Zombies Slayers .001
VTbowman

Re: How important is it to index broadheads?

Post by VTbowman »

So giving this more thought I can only see this done to prevent plaining with fixed blade broadheads. Thought honestly imo I dont see how aligning the blades with the fletching improves or eliminates plaining. Cross wind will effect both blade n fletching even if in a high rate of helical spin regardless of alignment. Again jmo.
I plan to shoot mech heads, I just perfer them over fixed, so I may not worry to much about indexing at this time.
Micro 335 Real Tree Xtra with Air Brakes.
8ptCustom String in Camo
Tac Zone
BE Zombies Slayers .001
Fullquiver

Post by Fullquiver »

It's not important, far less of an issue than true spinning heads and spine alignment of your arrows.
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

if you want to get your BH in perfect with your fletching try these by ETHIC archery they spin . I have used these and have no problem with any head I choose as long as you index your shafts.JMO.
W.M.
Quintehunter

Post by Quintehunter »

Aligning broadheads and vanes does not have any effect on planing. The broadhead doesn't actually cut through the air in the same spot as the vanes due to spinning around its axis. Just like the whole reason taller vanes work well is due to them getting above the layer of boundary air and out of the turbulence...