Montana decoys working

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Montana decoys working

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/URL]lm rushing to put up the"material girl" after work after a rather hectic day i killed myself trying to get done early enough to hunt .l get done putting her up n a giant is staring at us both 30 yards out i go move for the 355. 2feet away n he bolts. I get up the tree and in 2 hours 4 different bucks come in all smalls .......still a great nite in my opinion l cant wait till tomorrow. I also saw a ground hog 12 foot up a tree eating ...makes me wonder why they call em ground hogs l had the decoy elevated on a dirt mound it seemed to intimedate them that she was higher than them
Last edited by longbow joe on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Re: Montana decoys working

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/URL]
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/URL] "ground hog"
rein1

Post by rein1 »

I have tried my decoy many times with no success .. Don't know what's up , I'm about ready to sell it
acreek

Post by acreek »

Wish I had a decoy a few nights ago. I saw an eight pointer thrashing a tree about 120 yards away across a little washout and then uphill. I wanted to see how my new grunt tube worked so I gave a series of grunts. The 8 pointer immediately walked downhill towards me and brought along a 10 pointer that I didn't know was with him. I think the 10 was the deer I'm using as my pic here. They got to 70 yards and the 8 starts making a scrape. I do another series of grunts and the 10 starts heading down into the wash. He gets to about 60 yards away and just starts looking around. He's like, well, where's that deer I keep hearing? I think if I had a decoy I could have reeled him in a bit more for a shot.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I use Tinks inflatable decoys. Haven't seen any deer yet to see how they interact with them so I can't say if they work or not. I have read to put them out in the open so the deer don't just stumble up on them. That will spook them. Be sure to eliminate any scent on them to.

I think the idea is to give them something to focus on instead of you. In cold weather inflate it at the hunt site so when the air cools the decoy won't sag. I've never had a problem with either one of mine leaking. Beware of briars, honey locust thorns, etc. when setting it up.

https://www.amazon.com/Tinks-Mr-October ... B0052M808A

https://www.amazon.com/Tinks-Miss-Novem ... B003ITDO6M

Good Hunting!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

ko4nrbs wrote:I use Tinks inflatable decoys. Haven't seen any deer yet to see how they interact with them so I can't say if they work or not. I have read to put them out in the open so the deer don't just stumble up on them. That will spook them. Be sure to eliminate any scent on them to.

I think the idea is to give them something to focus on instead of you. I plan on using mine again this season when the deer are closer to the rut. Decoys used correctly may give us an advantage. Some have had success using them.

When using the inflatable ones in cold weather inflate it at the hunt site so when the air cools the decoy won't sag. I've never had a problem with either one of mine leaking. Beware of briars, honey locust thorns, etc. when setting it up.

https://www.amazon.com/Tinks-Mr-October ... B0052M808A

https://www.amazon.com/Tinks-Miss-Novem ... B003ITDO6M

Good Hunting!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have a miss november it works great also. ....yes thorns are the death of em l had 4 of em already
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I love the Montana Decoy. I used one last season during the rut and had bucks of all size come into it. The only thing I noticed was when a buck would circle the decoy, the decoy kind of goes one dimensional and the bucks would act a bit strange for a second. Definitely enough time for a shot.

I bought three more this summer on eBay for $12.00 each. Brand new in the box. Guy was basically giving them away.

Last years decoy

Made a believer in decoys..

And last years result. He came into her and game me a great angle

Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

I've been looking at buying one. If anyone wants to sell one let me know. Rein. Ed, you don't need 4. Lol. More than 3 is a crowd. LOl
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I had a big buck come in a one horner .he got really pissed at his one dimension girl .the shot was there if i wanted it. Last year my big nine was under me l never even heard him come in he was just under me staring at the decoy . I like about 15 yards out nose facing me.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/URL] this old guy is one of my most memorable decoy bucks ive gotten bigger ones but watching him come in to the montana decoy and preparing for the shot was a rush plus he only went ten yards for recovery!
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Awesome buck Joe....
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Groundhog up a tree, now that's pretty dang rare to see lol

I have a Renco decoy, and I once had it set up with a little bit of corn beside it, looked like she was eating. About an hour in, this young doe walks right up to my decoy, and starts licking it Lol then she started eating the corn right beside the decoy. Was fun to watch.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone