Aimpoint Type of Scope ??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

F250-2

Aimpoint Type of Scope ??

Post by F250-2 »

We have a new Matrix 380 in the family. The factory trigger is terrible. It will be upgraded with a Trigger Tech. It will be set up for hunting with shots 30 yards and under. With the arrow/broadhead we are using, it is dead on at 30 yards and about 1.5" high at 20 yards. Does anyone use an Aimpoint style scope on their crossbow ? The person using this 380 does not like all the clutter in the Tact Zone scope.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: Aimpoint Type of Scope ??

Post by Hunt it »

Check out one of the many speed dot type sights, just perfect for what you are wanting and more compact than aimpoint. Burris speed dot is one, Leupold, EOA, Vortex all have similar.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

ive used a Vortex strikefire 2 in the past. in the end id rather have magnification but that scope worked good. i have an Aimpoint 9000 but its on gun. they make the best red dots!
F250-2

Post by F250-2 »

Thanks to both of you for your reply !!
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

F250-2 wrote:We have a new Matrix 380 in the family. The factory trigger is terrible. It will be upgraded with a Trigger Tech. It will be set up for hunting with shots 30 yards and under. With the arrow/broadhead we are using, it is dead on at 30 yards and about 1.5" high at 20 yards. Does anyone use an Aimpoint style scope on their crossbow ? The person using this 380 does not like all the clutter in the Tact Zone scope.

The one thing that I notice when Reflex sights like the Aimpoint, Sure Fire, Vortex, etc that is not mentioned in the discussion is an astigmatism with the shooter. A shooter with an astigmatism in his eye will not see a clear round dot when looking at it.. He will see a fuzzy red or green semi dot with almost like a star burst effect...

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but I bought a red dot scope and was unable to use it and it was explained to me why, because of an astigmatism in my eye..... Hopefully you don't have that nor anyone in your group sharing the bow...

Below is a link explaining it better than I can. Good luck with your 380.. Great bow and good luck....

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016 ... tigmatism/
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
janesy

Post by janesy »

GrassyKnoll, you just answered a lot of questions for me. I have astigmatism pretty badly and have always thought various red dots where either junk or my contacts messed them up for me.
I've learned something today that explains so much, thanks!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

some new red dot owners dont understand why the dot isint clear or perfectly round especially on an expensive red dot. i have a mild vision issue but the dot isint so much fuzzy as it has an extra bump or start burst affect. i was still able to use a red dot though. it is something to consider though so i would buy something you can return.on the cheap just to try side ive had good luck with a Bushnell TRS 25 on my play around bows and guns. you can find them for like $70-80. if the dot isint for you then i would have a look at Leupolds firedot single reticle scopes. sight it in at 30 yards and then go hunt. the only thing you do have to be careful shooting too close though. you need to see how the scope shoots.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

I also use the TRS 25 from Bushnell on my Cub. @ only 4oz its less than half the weight of most scopes with rings. It has a 3moa dot and 11 brightness settings. One of the advantages of a red dot that isn't brought up very much is it's non-critical eye relief. Deer don't always give you the perfect straight shot, Sometimes you have to contort yourself around a tree, or hold the bow at an awkward angle, add heavy layers for late-season hunts and that sweet spot eye relief you had on your 4X scope shooting from a bench with a T-shirt on during the summer goes out the window.
I'm right-handed and with a bow with a red dot I find it easy to even switch hands and shoot over my right shoulder, with a scope it's more difficult. Jefrohio
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub