Put a doe down

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunt2sleep

Put a doe down

Post by hunt2sleep »

Saturday morning was opening day of gun season but I was hunting an archery only WMA. I've been hunting this place on and off for a few years, seeing deer most hunts but never getting a shot opportunity. My hunting area is about 3 miles in and you can't use an ATV to go to your stand. Carrying my bow, backpack, and climbing stand that far is just too much so a few weeks ago I bought a bicycle.

I rode my bike in (on a gravel road most of the way) 2.75 miles then walked the last 0.25 mile. I got everything set up including my new inflatable decoy (first time using one) and was in the tree and ready 10 minutes before shooting time. About 30 minutes after shooting time the hunters on the neighboring leases really started hammering the deer. Soon after that, I saw a deer feeding about 60 yards or so away through the trees. I looked at it through the scope and could tell it was a doe. I tried calling her with my bleat can but she wasn't interested and walked away. About an hour later I saw two deer near the same spot and they quickly moved on. As the morning went on I decided to call it a day at noon so I could go vote early.

At 11:50 I heard a deer running off to my right. It looked like one deer chasing another so I blew my grunt call and immediately heard a grunt in response. Despite that, the deer continued on moving away from me so I took out my bleat can and gave it a turn. Almost immediately I heard a deer come running towards me. When she got close where I could see her I was surprised to see that it was a doe. She came running in and suddenly stopped just 5 yards in front of me. Not having killed a deer last year, I wasn't being too picky so I quickly made sure that she wasn't just a spotless fawn and that was all I cared about. I turned my head back to the right for second, didn't see another deer coming, and knew it was time to shoot. I put my crosshairs just a little lower than I wanted to hit high behind her shoulder and squeezed the trigger. She jumped and ran and I could see blood coming out of her back. In just a few seconds she was out of sight but I heard her go down. I stayed in my tree for a few minutes to calm down before making my descent. While sitting there I was thinking how lucky I was that she stopped in front of me since shot options around the tree are somewhat limited. Then I remembered the decoy! She stopped because she saw the decoy!

I climbed down, got my camcorder and took up the blood trail and found her very quickly. With the temperature around 80 I hurried back to my bike and rode back to my truck to get my 4 wheeler (once you've killed and recovered a deer here you can use an ATV to get it out of the woods). I got my 4 wheeler, went back to the deer, field dressed her, loaded her up and drove back to my truck.

There was a hunt of firsts: first deer with my 380, first time field dressing a deer, first deer killed on public land, and first time using a decoy.

As mentioned, the bow was a 380. The arrow was a self-assembled BEE with Blazers and a 92 grain brass insert. Broadhead was an Innerloc EXP (aka Excalibur X-Act).

Here's a little video I made after I shot her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXAWYAyp2Vo

Phoenix
Matrix 380 Xtra
Exomax
Matrix G340
Klingons do not hunt because they need food. The hunt is a ritual that reminds us of where we come from. - Lieutenant Worf
mattones

Re: Put a doe down

Post by mattones »

Way to go buddy! Meat in the freezer!
08 Diamond Justice
2015 Micro 335 -Custom Flemish String-Lumonzombies
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Well done, outstanding use of your options as well, big congrats to you on making your sticks too! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Congratulations!! There will be many more hunts like this to come. Some even better!!

What decoy do you use?
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the deer!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
acreek

Post by acreek »

I used to hunt some of the Louisiana WMAs as well, although I was north of Lafayette. Congratulations on your deer.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Hot dang i love it, i was right wid ya, man on the hunt. Pumped good deal, congrats on a fine deer n recovery. You sure earned that nice deer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

Congratulations. You really worked for that one.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
hunt2sleep

Post by hunt2sleep »

ko4nrbs wrote:What decoy do you use?
Tink's Miss November.
Phoenix
Matrix 380 Xtra
Exomax
Matrix G340
Klingons do not hunt because they need food. The hunt is a ritual that reminds us of where we come from. - Lieutenant Worf
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Congrats! Nice doe! Great pic!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on the doe! :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

Congrats!! There's some meat for the freezer!!
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Great job!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Congrats... Eat well.. :)
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Masterhunter

Post by Masterhunter »

Enjoyed the story of your hunt and congratulations on a nice doe. Also you did a great job with your calling. :)
What you do next reflects what you believe.