What ya got for Binoculars?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

drobinette

What ya got for Binoculars?

Post by drobinette »

I know everyone says buy the best you can afford when it comes to optics. For the past several years I have been making due with a pair of Field and Stream 10x25 binoculars. They work fine when it is sunny outside, but in fog or in those ever so critical twilight moments, they have failed me miserably. On Saturday evening at last light, I had a buck at 65 yards rubbing a sapling for all he was worth and I could not see him through the binoculars at all. Just to make it through this season, I had on a dead zone scope on my 350LE, which wasn't any better at drawing in light in trying to ID the buck. I am looking to upgrade but I see a lot of good options out there. Mainly looking at some of the Vortex line and a few Nikons. Not looking to spend more than 300. I am interested to hear what you guys use and have had success with.
2015 Grizzly
18" Diablos
Boltcutters
galamb

Re: What ya got for Binoculars?

Post by galamb »

Both myself and the guy I hunt with use Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10X42's.

I will say that I rarely use binoculars when deer hunting although I carry a pair of compacts in my hunting pack - but for deer, the area I hunt doesn't lend itself to "glassing" - too dense/not needed.

But when hunting moose/bear (gun hunting) where we can see "for miles", that model Bushnell "won the contest" a few years back when we finally decided to spend "a few bucks" on glass (these retailed in the 350'ish range/Canuck bucks).

(I sell guns/ammo/hunting supplies at work so had the advantage of doing side by side comparisons on a couple dozen different pairs)

If I had to replace these today I would be opting for a pair of Steiner Predator 10X42's. They go for about 100 bucks more than the Bushnell's. But until I looked through the Steiner's I thought the Bushnell's were the clearest/brightest glass in the "under $400 CAD" market.

Both that I have mentioned, "in my eyes looking through them" were far superior to the Nikon Prostaff 7 but will say that the Monarch 5's were better than the Bushnell but below the Steiner's (and cost within 20 bucks of the Steiner's - 100 more than the Bushnell).
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
TPM

Post by TPM »

I use Carson 842HD 3D. On par with Vortex Diamondbacks. Both a great choice in the $300 range.
Good rule of thumb for longer range clarity is to make sure your objective lens us at least five times your magnification. In other words 8 power should be at least x40 and 10 power x50 etc.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Bushnell Trophy XLT 8x42.Suit my needs perfectly and couldn't pass up the $69 sale price and a voucher for a $30 mail in rebate.Nice glass even for the normal retail price IMO.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Wife and I took up birding so I was looking high end. Found a half price sale on two new pairs of Zeiss'' best HD binoculars, one 8x42 Victory and a nice compact 8x32 Victory. A lot of dough but once and done for life and the lives of my descendants (unless they sell them off)
Couldn't pass on the half price either!
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

I use Steiner Predator 8x30 I bought them several years ago. You can see in near darkness (dusk/dawn)with them.
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
Flecha

Post by Flecha »

Zeiss Terra work for me.
JerseyJeff

Post by JerseyJeff »

I won a pair of Leupold Rogue compact binocs last year at Bass Pro.
Not the best, but the price was right. :wink:
Last edited by JerseyJeff on Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 355
Axiom
NRA
UBNJ
DU
wabi

Post by wabi »

Leupold Yosemite 8x30.
Lower price range for Leupold, but still good optics.

I watched a buck I could not see with my eyes after sunset the other evening. I watched him from about sunset as he worked his way in to eat at the feeder and food plot, and then he stayed around until it was too dark to see him. When I could not follow his movements with my naked eyes any more, the Leupolds brought him into clear focus. :shock: :lol: :lol:

No - I didn't shoot him.
Here's a picture of the same buck at the feeder that might explain my not being too upset with letting him walk.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Some people just like stepping on rakes
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

I carry Leica 10x25 for the bow hunt and Leica 10x42 for with the rifle and use a Leica range finder 800, worth every penny. I also had a pair of Zeiss 10x25 that were real nice but I gave them to my friend and big game guide in B.C for a Xmas gift.
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
roly

Post by roly »

Zeizz Terra ED. 10X42

Only cause I won them at BooFest 2 years ago.

They are nice though. A lot of bird watchers like this model.
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

I did a search for binoculars on the forum a while back and read every thread that came up. There is a long thread titled binoculars I believe. After doing all the reading and handling the Steiners and a nice set of Vortexs I went with ZenRays. If I remember right they are the Summit HD's about $240 (dielectric mirrors) and I can see until almost total darkness. The only problem now is I need to upgrade my scope because that glass can't keep up...
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

Leica ultravid HD 10x42
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
vpsaline

Post by vpsaline »

'Vanguard' brand gives you good bang for your buck.

But it simply comes down to looking for model between 200-300$ with 'ED PRIME GLASS'!!!
Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR