Doe bleats, grunt calls & rattling?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dzohio

Doe bleats, grunt calls & rattling?

Post by Dzohio »

Ok can anyone give me an honest yes that any of these really truly work in a rut situation? I have been deer hunting for 30yrs now and have been using calls for 10. I have NEVER had luck with em! I believe the doe bleat does nothing but makes em go what the hell was that. I have never ever called em in or stopped em with a grunt call and the same goes with rattling. My 1st calls were giving to me by a friend who gave up on em for these reasons. I have bought new to add to those and nothing. I truly believe now to be in the right place at the right time. That buck was just walking by that day or chased that doe right by you. These calls do nothing but waste my money. I would love to hear opinions!
xcaliber

Re: Doe bleats, grunt calls & rattling?

Post by xcaliber »

Doe estrous call right now, and the next two weeks. Don't over do it. It has also worked well for me mid December. One thing I have to stress, nothing compensates bad practice, poor stand location, or an overall lack of deer. Additionally, if you hunt an area with little to no competition, it gets harder to pull in deer.
Rattling, and calling have worked for me too many times to disregard their impact.
Good luck, watch some YouTube videos!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Dzohio

Post by Dzohio »

Thanks for the advice. I am seeing deer. Bucks an does. I try not to overdue the calls and definitely try to use the right call for the stages of rut but just don't seem to have the same effect on the Bucks I see on instructional vids etc... But maybe I am doing something a little wrong with the call and just not catching it. Thanks
galamb

Post by galamb »

On a few occasions I have had a buck come in while I was using a doe bleat (can call) and an estrous scent stick - so can't say if one, the other or both played any part in the buck coming in or it was blind luck :lol:

(I do believe in the scents - sticks, aerosol's, liquids etc for "active attractant" to get them "here" when I'm "here" as opposed to minerals, salt blocks, feed etc, which I do use, but as a passive attractant to get them coming to the area "whenever")

I have never had any luck with a grunt call other then to momentarily stop a buck that was sauntering by (two occasions that come to mind). I can't say I have ever had a buck "come in" to a grunt.

And in the 46 deer hunting seasons I have under my belt I have never, at least in "my deer woods" ever heard deer sparing, never heard of anyone having deer come in to rattling - tried it myself for a couple of seasons "just to see" - didn't make a difference to my "lack of success" in those years. :)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

ive used a doe esterous can call only usually last week of October pre rut and had bucks comne in all fired up.ive also seen does run the other way using that call. guess a doe that isint in heat dont wanna be near one that is. most November i only use a grunt tube if im trying to turn a buck i see around to my stand. i feel once you use a call you become the hunted. chances are your calls have worked for you but you didnt even know it. ive seen smaller bucks go stone like a statue for minutes at a time looking for where the calls are coming from. in those times they can figure alot of things out from sounds, movement and human scent swirling or on the trail you walked in on.that makes them leave and you never knew it.calling blind can pay off but its very hit or miss and is only when i get bored lol.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Grunt calls have worked for me, I really think it comes down to how many bucks are in your area? Pulled them out of their beds, and have pulled them in as far as 100+ yards. No really proof with the other two...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
hunt2sleep

Post by hunt2sleep »

I've had lots of success with grunt calls. I've had at least one buck come charging in while blind calling and on numerous occasions I have seen a buck walking by, grunted, and had him turn and come running to me. No luck ever with rattling but I haven'd done it much. In early October 2012 I saw a bachelor group of 3 bucks and 2 of them did some sparring for a few minutes. Not being territorial at the time, they ignored my grunting and walked around me for around a half hour, never coming closer than maybe 70 yards. Just last Saturday I called in a doe with a combination of grunting and bleating. Only time a bleat has ever worked for me.
Phoenix
Matrix 380 Xtra
Exomax
Matrix G340
Klingons do not hunt because they need food. The hunt is a ritual that reminds us of where we come from. - Lieutenant Worf
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. :roll: :lol:

Last night I was in the stand and using my calls very sparingly. A few grunts, wait 20 minutes, a few bleats, wait 20 minutes, and so on.
About sunset a small 4 point came in to check some scrapes on the far edge of the food plot (about 50 yards from my stand). He checked the small scrape at the upper edge of the brush line that separates the plot from the field beyond, then started to head back into the timber (there's a bigger scrape at the lower edge). I decided to see what he would do if I gave him a couple grunts. Grunted two times and he froze and snapped his head up. After a couple minutes he quickly made his way to the other scrape and scent checked it. He didn't work it, and didn't hang around long after scent checking it (and the limb above it).
Not a buck I wanted to shoot, but the call got his attention and made him curious enough to check the other scrape.

I've had bucks come charging in, and I've seen them look around and go back to doing whatever they were doing before I called. It's not a sure thing, but it's another trick to add to the routine in the attempt to fool them.

A week ago you couldn't find a scrape or fresh rub where I hunt. Now there are new ones showing up every day. My hunting buddy (the landowner) could hear something behind his blind the other evening and after he quit hunting there was a fresh scrape 20 yards from the blind. The next morning there were three scrapes there!
I'm taking my calls with me for the next few weeks!!!!!!!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:
L.C.B.H

Post by L.C.B.H »

I carry a MAD Growler every sit for Whitetail from Oct 1-Dec 31 for years,I have grunted in 7 bucks and killed 5 of them with my compound bow since 2010.I wouldn't deer hunt without it.
Libtards make me sick, and I don't take orders from a forum rat who needs to go to a safe place. Get used to Conservative Right wing hard working Canadians telling you liberals to F off!!!!! :wave:
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Another aspect to calls which I think some other people have sort of touched on. If you are in a stand or way up a tree a call might make them curious on the first use or draw them in if they are pretty far out but if they pinpoint the source they know there isn't a deer up in the tree and you're busted. I would use them more if I hunted from a ground blind or much closer to the ground. It sounds like hunt2sleep is in a ground blind and has had pretty good success. I pulled a buck in two years ago with a grunt call. It took him 45 minutes to circle down wind of me and come in from the other side. He busted me because I wasn't expecting him to come out on the other side and he soft shoed it around me. Tuition...
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I've had does that have come running in on me using a doe call a few times. This year I got busted by a doe by moving in my stand, not by scent, and she took off running, I did two doe bleats and she came running back wheezing like crazy. She would have been too on edge and nervous to shoot with a bow if I was hunting does, but it was fun to watch. Unfortunately all that wheezing warned every deer around there was danger.

I've never called in a buck with a grunt, but have stopped a running dod with a grunt.

Two yrs ago, again hunting buck, I saw a doe about 40yars away, and my daughter was upset because she did not see it, so for fun I did a doe bleat, and this doe came charging in within 20ft of us. We were so well blended into some bushes on the ground that the doe could not see us, but she was stompin like crazy, then took off when my daughter started giggling Lol
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone