Rethinking my shot??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Rethinking my shot??

Post by ko4nrbs »

Since I will be hunting in a suburban area on 3 1/2 acres with an anti-hunter on one side I have been rethinking my shot if I get one. I need to put the deer down as quickly as I can. If using a rifle I would do a shoulder shot but I know that is a no-no when using a bow or is it? My Exomax has the power but the chance of a deflection or poor penetration is high I think. It would depend greatly on what broad head I use and the angle of the shot. Any suggestions fellas?

This spot my get too complicated to hunt!! Too bad as there are many deer here with a couple of nice bucks.

I may have to convince my friend to let me talk to the anti-hunter neighbor in order to get permission to retrieve a deer. His other neighbors are very cooperative. I'm required by law to get permission before retrieving a deer and don't want to wait until one drops on his patio!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
paulaboutform

Re: Rethinking my shot??

Post by paulaboutform »

I would not talk to the neighbor in advance. Bad idea. Antis, in my experience, tend to be combative and uncooperative. If you're concerned about recovery the best thing you can do is wait for a close shot either perfectly broadside or slightly quartering. Aim for the heart and I believe that's your best bet. I believe that's your best option...pinpoint accuracy and perfect shot placement. I'm curious, if you get a deer that dies on his property and he refuses access you're not allowed to recover it? Here we have a legal right if pursuing a wounded or downed animal.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.

Post by newbie »

Im with Paul on this one.
I would like to see his face thougj when a deer drops on his patio.... heck he may want it off ASAP and not cause a stink.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!

Post by newbie »

Im with Paul on this one.
I would like to see his face thougj when a deer drops on his patio.... heck he may want it off ASAP and not cause a stink.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

paulaboutform wrote:I would not talk to the neighbor in advance. Bad idea.
Paul
Good point!! My wife said the same thing. I'll just take my chances and if a deer drops in his yard I'll go get it. With as much damage as they are doing you would think they would want them thinned out at least.

If he reports me and I get a ticket so be it.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....I am going to take the other side. I would try to meet with the anti. Dress in normal street clothes....maybe bring a young son or daughter with you (borrow one if you don't have one :lol:)....I am of the belief that some of these anti's have views of hunters that can be softened if someone takes the time to show them that you are a normal human being (with kids even)...If he becomes combative I would just say thank you for your time....I might be coming back asking permission to retrieve a downed deer if one were to expire on your property....

.....if he says, "don't you dare the answer is no!" you will have to take that into consideration in your shot placement!

....If he is non-combative just be nice and cordial and explain why you are there and ask permission and ask him if he has any questions about what/why you are doing what you are doing....

....under no circumstances do you instruct your young child to kick him or spit on him! :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

This is a bad settin, wid the E'max n lots of power. You could got to a good fixed bladed broadhead n heavy arrow. Keep yer shots 30 yds n under n bust both shoulders. I hear ppl. already sayin stuff n i ain't even posted his yet. The Doe i killed couple days ago was shot thru the left scaupla n it jus missed the leg bone goin out the right side complete pass-through. 2219 400gr wid a 3 bladed Hellrazor
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I hunt in similar areas here in NC. I would:

1) Sit such that my back is toward the Anti (if possible) so the deer hopefully runs away from their property at the shot.
2) Go for a double lung shot. In my experience a double lung shot puts a deer down faster than a low shot on the heart.

With a bow if you want to drop them I think you have to hit the spine....but this will cause the deer to suffer. Busting the shoulders with a bullet is different than with an arrow. The bullet causes a lot of shock which causes a lot of trauma. Not so with an arrow. With an arrow you want to maximize blood loss. IMO that happens quickest with a double lung. With a very sharp fixed blade, I have seen deer get shot and not even know it. They jump one or 2 times at the noise and then just fall over . That would be your best outcome.

I am in the camp of not talking to the Anti first. As long as you are totally legal where you are....IF the scenario happens and the deer falls in his property, follow the law and talk to him then. I think he will be far more likely to begrudgingly let you get the deer rather than leave a dead deer on his property.....especially when you explain that doing that will attract all kinds of predators. Unless he wants to process it himself. You could start to build the bridge by offering him some of the meat, or help with chores on the property if this is to be a long term spot.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
SEW

Post by SEW »

Not talk. As suggested, your back to his property if conditions make this feasable.
Heavy arrow/FOC. Half of my FOC hits have been DRT.
Reasoning with intense anti-hunters usually gets you nowhere since they tend To go on "feelings" and not "reasoning ". They vote the same way!
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

amythntr wrote:.....I am going to take the other side. I would try to meet with the anti. Dress in normal street clothes....maybe bring a young son or daughter with you (borrow one if you don't have one :lol:)....I am of the belief that some of these anti's have views of hunters that can be softened if someone takes the time to show them that you are a normal human being (with kids even)...If he becomes combative I would just say thank you for your time....I might be coming back asking permission to retrieve a downed deer if one were to expire on your property....

.....if he says, "don't you dare the answer is no!" you will have to take that into consideration in your shot placement!

....If he is non-combative just be nice and cordial and explain why you are there and ask permission and ask him if he has any questions about what/why you are doing what you are doing....

....under no circumstances do you instruct your young child to kick him or spit on him! :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:

Anthony :)
X 2 :wink:

Dave :D
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

It,s not in my makeup to sit and wonder what would happen if my deer died on anti hunters yard, I want to know what the situation is before it happens, so I can have a plan figured out beforehand, I would talk to anti hunter and explain
what could happen, then hear anti's side, then you would at least know where you stand, then plan ahead. :wink:

Dave :)

P.S.
BE NICE :roll:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Big cut mechanical broadhead would be your best bet. NAP FOC, Killzone, Rage etc will give you a big hole and cut. If the landowner you are hunting on is OK with you hunting his land then hunt it. If you are worried were the deer will run and die, maybe you should not hunt there.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Contact DNR in your area in advance. Get a local officer if possible, and make sure they understand your situation. They may take the lead and talk to the neighbors for you.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Hunt evenings only and do the stealth withdrawal of deer if you need to (in the dark). Can you bait there? If so, set up so you are in tent with good rest when deer eating from pile make the 20 yard head shot - deer will drop in tracks. You need to be able to make that shot or don't try it, in other words no buck fever and be at one with your xbow.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Went over and hung my deer stand. It's not quite as bad as I thought. The property is downhill from the house and the woods are thick so being seen is more difficult. The doe we jumped a couple of days ago ran down the back fence and stayed in the thick stuff.

Pics from my Homebrew game camera. All taken a little before 7am. I hope it isn't too dark for a shot--Sunrise: 7:49am and Sunset: 6:24pm.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks