Crossbows and shooting sticks?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VTbowman

Crossbows and shooting sticks?

Post by VTbowman »

Do you folks use a shooting stick while hunting?
It occurred to me that a crossbow doesnt brace well up against a tree or other solid rest while walking threw the woods when cocked for obvious reasons. Something I like to try n do when available with a shouldered weapon.
Im looking at a primos mono pod that has the triggered adjustment.
Anyone use one?
Micro 335 Real Tree Xtra with Air Brakes.
8ptCustom String in Camo
Tac Zone
BE Zombies Slayers .001
Square_hammer

Re: Crossbows and shooting sticks?

Post by Square_hammer »

I use the primos trigger stick, the 2 legged version of the one you are looking at. Works great when sitting in my blind.
Matrix 330
Vortex diamondback 2-7
hha optimizer
8pntbuck string
16.5" zombies with 92gr insert
QAD exodus 125gn
G5 Striker 125gn
rein1

Post by rein1 »

I use the primos mono ,,, After target practicing out to 40yds using the stick and not I decided to leave the stick at home ,, For now ..
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've tried the all the Primos Trigger Stix. I didn't like the momopod. I have the bipod and tripod. The tripod is the most stable hands down but too heavy for carrying around. It's the bulkiest. If you had a shooting shack or blind it'd be great. My go to is the bipod. You could carry it around but I just use it when I'm setup or in the blind. It's moderately light and the ease and adjustability is excellent. If I could only have one it'd be the bipod.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Masterhunter

Post by Masterhunter »

paulaboutform wrote:I've tried the all the Primos Trigger Stix. I didn't like the momopod. I have the bipod and tripod. The tripod is the most stable hands down but too heavy for carrying around. It's the bulkiest. If you had a shooting shack or blind it'd be great. My go to is the bipod. You could carry it around but I just use it when I'm setup or in the blind. It's moderately light and the ease and adjustability is excellent. If I could only have one it'd be the bipod.

Paul
The bipod is my 1st choice and the accuracy is almost as good as from my sandbags.
What you do next reflects what you believe.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I use an aluminum camera tripod I got at an Estate sale. Very light and solid. Pretty quiet as well. I glued some foam rubber on top of it to rest the crossbow on.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I have the trigger stick monopod and it's useless, I find I'm more stable free hand. The bipod of tripod versions are way more stable, I'd recommend those for use in a blind.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
VTbowman

Post by VTbowman »

I hunt mainly from stands but I have a ways to n from the stand and I thought I might benefit from having a "walking" stick I can shoot from since I really can't use a tree to brace on. Thats why I was thinking the mono stick. I got time to think on it. I have a stoney point tripod I used when I was into Encore pistol hunting. But its not long enough for walking/standing. Nor quick adjusting.
Micro 335 Real Tree Xtra with Air Brakes.
8ptCustom String in Camo
Tac Zone
BE Zombies Slayers .001
littlekitch

Post by littlekitch »

I use a mono stick which sticks in the ground.I only use it turkey hunting in my doghouse tent blinds for better accuracy due to the small kill zone (vitals) on turkeys.I also use it for precisely checking xbow's accuracy but not for practicing or stand hunting for whitetails. KITCH