Tagged out with the Micro in PA

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cumberlandxbow

Tagged out with the Micro in PA

Post by cumberlandxbow »

I finally got to use my new Micro 335 (General John Buford) that my family bought me last Christmas. While I missed my faithful Axiom, the narrow and fast Micro was a welcome replacement.

The Micro saw its first action the second week of the PA bow season in October. I was hunting an urban property of 30 acres sandwiched between a housing development and a major interstate highway (Interstate 83 for you PA guys). I hunted before work, knowing that I had a 9:30 am conference call. On the way back to the truck, I jumped a big doe that was bedded right along the trail I walked in on. Realizing it was already 9 am, I decided to try a quick cutoff maneuver that might give me a shot opportunity. Fully expecting this not to work, I was surprised when she crested a hill about 25 yards away as I was just getting ready to uncock General John. I quickly dropped to a knee behind a tree and sent a Spitfire through her heart at 25 yds. Conference call had to be rescheduled.

My buck came just last weekend on October 29. I was hunting a property about 5 mintues from my house. It is a small hill behind a friend's house that is surrounded by farmland. I got into my stand well before daylight to avoid spooking the deer that I know bed nearby. At first light I watched a raccoon come down through the woods, stop and then begin to hiss. Upon a closer look, I realized he was face to face with a buck bedded 20 yards from my stand. The buck stood up and walked into a wide opening 15 yards in front of me. He was a good sized deer, but had a small, yet legal 7 point rack. I was going to pass but the site picture through General John's scope was too perfect and I sent the Executioner on its way to take care of business.

It is rewarding to be tagged out early, but sometimes I wish I would have passed on the buck, especially when I see pictures of larger ones on my family farm where I would be hunting this week. However, the backstraps, bologna, german salami, hot dogs, and deer sticks that we have been enjoying make me thankful for the deer that I have been fortunate enough to shoot this year. Also, both deer looked awesome in the back of my new Ford F150!

VTbowman

Re: Tagged out with the Micro in PA

Post by VTbowman »

Congrats!!! Both fine deer in my eyes. I have to wait till next season to hunt with mine. Age limit in VT n I reach it in August. Lol
So practicing until then.
Micro 335 Real Tree Xtra with Air Brakes.
8ptCustom String in Camo
Tac Zone
BE Zombies Slayers .001
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congratulations of both! Sometimes if ya take a pass you end up with am empty freezer. Every deer is a success. Hunting a nose with an animal attached takes skill
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the pair!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Great looking deer man. If I have a tag in my pocket that is good for the deer in my sights it's all over,its all about the meat...lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
grouse

Post by grouse »

Congratulations! Every deer is a trophy as far as I'm concerned and the two that you bagged are both beautiful. I'm kind of in the same position as you are, I've killed a buck and a doe with my Axiom already and, though I do have more tags, my freezer is full.
axiom
350 SE
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....ah the beauty of Pensytucky!....way to go Brother congrats on Tagging Out!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Congrats..Now you can see difference on hunting in pa... if you own privateland this is how great hunting is and if you live near cities its unreal how great.

I have hunted hard for 4 weeks and saw 3 doe and 2 bucks ,53 years at it in wmu2g of pa [ PUBLICLAND]..PGC will make you think its great hunting all over state.

PUBLICLAND is not place to get deer ..I actually saw more coyotes 6 total in those 4 weeks than I did deer and I have not seen fawn at all not 1...You will see lots of hunters walking by your stand taking their bows for walk ..
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations on tagging out. Both look like good eating!!!!!!!!
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on the deer. I would have shot that buck on opening morning! :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
cumberlandxbow

Post by cumberlandxbow »

Sproulman...feel your pain. I hunt Michaux State Forest down here. Lots of land but not many deer. I have been successful but it is hard hunting. Rifle season on public land is a joke around here. Last year i watched a guy plunge into a thick briar laden bedding area....while it was still dark. Needless to say i didnt shoot one that day.

I try to take good care of the private property owners that let me on...such a privilege.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Double congrats on yer 2 deer nice ones they be
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's > two beauties !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Congrats :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup: