Slug Gun Question-UPDATE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Slug Gun Question-UPDATE

Post by paulaboutform »

I know this isn't a crossbow category but.....I'm not very experienced with slug guns. My good friend who's place I hunt at in Alberta is HUGE into hunting with his slug gun. He's got an old Winchester pump that he's killed moose with and deer every year. I just saw some Mossbergs and didn't care for them. The Remington Model 870 looked and felt great. What recommendation would you sluggers use? We can only hunt bears with slugs in B.C. but this seems like a fun toy to play with.

Paul
Last edited by paulaboutform on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Onetimeonly x-->

Re: Slug Gun Question

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Paul, I shoot a Marlin 512 Slugmaster. They are not pretty and no longer made but they shoot great with the right slug. Remington 3" Premier Copper Solid this gun prefers. Good luck more info to come...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

when i was a poor college student in the 70's, i bought an 870 and used it for all my hunting. loved it. 45 years later after having dropped it, dunked it, & dinged it i still use it. when #1 son came of age i bought him a 20 gauge 870 with a slug barrel figuring with this he could hunt everything and we could upgrade when he became an adult and knew just how & what he wanted to hunt. Never liked it. it jammed occasionally & still does so it's never been reliable. idk what slug gun i would get. savage maybe? but i don't think the 870 is made in the US any longer and i wouldn't buy another one unless it was a nice used one from back in the day.
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
rattlerun

Post by rattlerun »

H and R "Slugster". Single shot, stupidly accurate. Heavy barrel. Comes in either a 20 or a 12.
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

rattlerun wrote:H and R "Slugster". Single shot, stupidly accurate. Heavy barrel. Comes in either a 20 or a 12.
Agreed. They don't make them anymore but if u can find an HR slug Hunter buy it. If money is not an issue the savage 220f is a fine choice as well.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Thanks for the info guys. I'm thinking either a pump or semi auto. Funny, all the reviews I read on the 870 were like your story. Guys used them for years and swore there was nothing better. Other guys bought them within 2 - 10 years and 9 guys swear there's nothing better and the tenth guy says it doesn't extract the shells consistently and is junk. One guy also said the Remington Solid Copper sabotted slug was his gun's favorite ammo.. I'm going to double check but it seems Bass Pro in Tsewassen, B.C. has the 870 (wood or composite stocks) on for $529.99 C!AD
with a 20" rifled slug barrel and a 26" shotgun barrel. Both up to 3" Mag.
I'll check the Savage.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

My favorite slug gun is a Savage 20 gauge bolt action with an Accutrigger. There are few guns that rival it's accuracy. It's light weight and a puss cat to shoot.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Hi Paul,

I have shot many slug guns over the years and can strongly recommend the Savage model 220F 20 gauge slug gun. Mine is topped with a Leupold scope and I shoot the 2 3/4 or 3 inch Remington Accutips. I get consistent 1 1/4 three shot groups at 100 yards. The ballistics and terminal performance of the 20 gauge Accutips is very similar to that of a 50 caliber muzzleloader so there's no need for a 12 gauge although if that's your preference Savage makes the model 212.

Go with the 20 gauge!

The best scope mount for this platform is the EGW model 41101 single piece rail which is notched out at the ejector port.

You absolutely cannot go wrong with this platform. It's a true 150 yard slug gun.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical

Post by newbie »

Boo wrote:My favorite slug gun is a Savage 20 gauge bolt action with an Accutrigger. There are few guns that rival it's accuracy. It's light weight and a puss cat to shoot.
if i could justify my want this is the gun i would buy. I just use my browning bps smoothbore. I can get less then 2 inch at 50 freehand all day with any rifled slug i put in it.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

I have three rem 870 shotguns. Two have slug barrels .never had a problem with them.
addicted to canadian beaver
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Boo wrote:My favorite slug gun is a Savage 20 gauge bolt action with an Accutrigger. There are few guns that rival it's accuracy. It's light weight and a puss cat to shoot.
X2! Shoots like a rifle past 100 yards.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

CT.HNTR wrote: It's a true 150 yard slug gun.
And past that!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bdog

Post by bdog »

I had an 870 12g with the cantilever barrel, I'm now shooting a savage 220 bolt action, it's far more superior than the 870......
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com

Post by newbie »

Paul it all depends what you are after. what type of hunting distance etc. I cant justify the savage as a dedicated slug gun. I stand hunt with mine and 50 yards is the max i would get a shot.... maybe when all the leaves are off. So my BPS works wonderfully for my purpose.
Its my only shotgun so it serves me well for all my hunting needs.
If i needed a longer poke I wouldn't hesitate to buy the savage. I know you NEED the 12 gauge :wink:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I have used Remington 870 slug gun shooting 3 inch remington copper solids . Recently I have had to switch to a Remington model 1100 12 gauge with a rifled slug barrel shooting 2 3/4 inch copper solids due to the progression of My MS .I have complete faith in the set ups. I also have a low power scope mounted on them