Slug Gun Question-UPDATE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Re: Slug Gun Question

Post by paulaboutform »

Thanks so much for all the info everyone. I really appreciate it. I believe I was mistaken about the use of shotguns for hunting. I do believe you are allowed to use it for deer but not the larger ungulates like elk, moose, cariboo, etc. I have a number of shotguns and don't need another. I think the fully rifled barell is what I'd like. As soon as I get a bit of time I think I'm going to hit some smaller gun shops and support them rather than the giant box stores.
***BTW, Bass Pro is a complete slimy scumbag of a store that would do better to sell used cars while wearing cheap polyester suits. I thought I was on the local store sight looking at their stock and prices. The location is very out of the way. When I called ahead I was informed I was redirected to the U.S.sight and the prices were in USD.. They said they could do a special order for me at more than double the price though. Very thoughtful, NOT! Anyway, just a heads up if buying from them, they're shady. Thanks again all, if there's any more information or advice I'm happy to hear it.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Don't buy a new barrel, they are ridiculously expensive. After today in Ontario shotgun season is done for many folks. Hit CGN and save 200$
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I want to add that your gun should match your hunting area if you are in a bush and push for deer then a smooth bore with iron sights will do the job for 50yrd or less shots.
If you are hunting open fields and cuts for 100yrd plus shots you want to shoot sabots in a rifled barrel and optics the new ammo out there is running 1900 fps.

I run old faithful my 870 utility gun with a rifled barrel it has fell from tree stands and fell over from leaning on a many pick up trucks dropped in swamps and gets cleaned faithfully at least once a year!! its my Excalibur of shotguns :lol:

Good luck whatever you choose.
The best things in life are not things!!
paulaboutform

Re: Slug Gun Question-UPDATE

Post by paulaboutform »

Well I pulled the trigger today, pun intended. :mrgreen: I snuck into a shop during work and shouldered a Winchester SXP Black Shadow Deer in 12 gauge. It's 2 3/4" - 3" Mag, 22" fully rifled barell, black composite stock and forearm. Fibre optic open steel sights and four machined screw holes on the receiver for mounting a scope. Also a padded shoulder butt for the heavy pounding I've been warned about. :shock:
Anyway, seemed like a good deal at Cabellas Canada for $479.00 all in after a $25.00 mail in rebate. So my next question, I've got a Luepold Crossbones scope at home I haven't even looked through, what do you think of this scope on this slug gun? I should have it in a week or so. Thanks.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Minnow

Post by Minnow »

paulaboutform wrote:Well I pulled the trigger today, pun intended. :mrgreen: I snuck into a shop during work and shouldered a Winchester SXP Black Shadow Deer in 12 gauge. It's 2 3/4" - 3" Mag, 22" fully rifled barell, black composite stock and forearm. Fibre optic open steel sights and four machined screw holes on the receiver for mounting a scope. Also a padded shoulder butt for the heavy pounding I've been warned about. :shock:
Anyway, seemed like a good deal at Cabellas Canada for $479.00 all in after a $25.00 mail in rebate. So my next question, I've got a Luepold Crossbones scope at home I haven't even looked through, what do you think of this scope on this slug gun? I should have it in a week or so. Thanks.

Paul
Nice gun Paul! I was leaning towards a black shadow for an all around gun but bought a benelli Nova from a friend for a screaming deal. Really really like that shadow tho
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender
bdog

Post by bdog »

that scope will work, don't kno what distance ur shootin, but that gun n any optic u choose, shud do the trick...
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
janesy

Post by janesy »

paulaboutform wrote:Well I pulled the trigger today, pun intended. :mrgreen: I snuck into a shop during work and shouldered a Winchester SXP Black Shadow Deer in 12 gauge. It's 2 3/4" - 3" Mag, 22" fully rifled barell, black composite stock and forearm. Fibre optic open steel sights and four machined screw holes on the receiver for mounting a scope. Also a padded shoulder butt for the heavy pounding I've been warned about. :shock:

Paul
I'd be making a call to confirm that it's rated for a slug gun. A 12 bore rifled barrel will cull through the equipment that's not up to the task faster than you can rub the A5-35 on your shoulder .

I once had it explained to me that a scope for an air gun or cross bow were designed to take recoil in the opposite direction of a scope designed for a rifle or shotgun. As in the operation forces tend to move forward more than they do reverse like they would on a centerfire.
No idea if that's true or not, but it made sense at the time LOL.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ch312

Post by ch312 »

I know the OP has already chosen a gun, but figure I'll toss in my two cents for anyone interested.

Last season I picked up an H&R ultra light slug hunter 20 gauge and it's a dream to carry because it's so compact and light. The 1" groups at 100 yards and 1.5-2" groups at 150 yards are very impressive for a gun that was only $225 brand new. The Savage 220's are nice, but I couldn't justify spending almost 3x more just to have two quicker follow up shots.
Buzzard II

Post by Buzzard II »

The H&R with heavy barrel in both 12 and 20 gauge and the 870 are both good guns. Either will serve you well. Millet or Warne rings are easy to use and I used Leupold 2-7 variable shotgun scopes. Good hunting.
THE IMMENSE IMPORTANCE OF A PINT OF ALE TO A COMMON PERSON SHOULD NEVER BE OVERLOOKED!
Prmtvbowman22

Post by Prmtvbowman22 »

My first 870 is 50 years old;never a problem. My second one shoots 3 inch shells and has failed to eject shells mutiple times, once costing me a huge buck. Using the 2and3/4 shells it always ejects. Savage bolt action seems to have amazing accuracy. Hunter on tv dropped buck at 200 yards. If I was in the market for a new slug gun, that is what I 'd buy.