2016 Hunting Trip a Sucess

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Scarecrow

2016 Hunting Trip a Sucess

Post by Scarecrow »

Just returned from my 29th annual deer hunting trip with my best buddy ever. I don’t have a brother and he has filled that role in my life. The weather wasn’t exceptional, especially in the evenings. A couple nights were in the upper 60’s. Deer in Northern Michigan don’t like walking around the woods with their winter fat on when it’s that warm. Morning hunts were great….saw 9 doe/fawns the first morning out. Every hunt except for one I saw at least one deer.

Wednesday morning I hunted until 11am….when I pulled my trail camera this monster had shown up an hour after I left. It was the only daytime shot we ever got of this guy, but gave me hope every time I was in that stand.

The very last morning I was sitting in that stand and a very big doe came in just after shooting hours. I thought…..do I or don’t I. Well you can’t eat antlers so I put my scope on her and let the Micro 335 do its job. I use NuFletch Ignitor nocks and right away I could tell that the arrow wasn’t flying right. I don’t see the arrow in the ground so I assumed that it was still in the doe. Since I figured it was a bad hit I waited a couple hours before getting out of my stand.

I still couldn’t find the arrow so I look for blood and get on a pretty good trail. Several spots I found where she had blown out blood in large circles so I thought I must have got part of a lung. I continue to follow the trail and all of a sudden she jumps up fifty yards ahead and lopes off. Not running hard, but not limping either. I mark the spot on my GPS and back out. I went back to the cabin and had lunch with my hunting partners and prepared to go back out.

I get back into the woods and load another arrow into my Micro 335 and get back on the blood trail. I had no problem following the blood and it led me to the edge of a very large Northern Michigan swamp. I had a buck do the same thing several years ago and I tracked it to a high ground area about ¼ mile into the swamp. I get the compass reading and start my trek.

About 100 yards into the swamp I walked by her without ever seeing her. She jumps up and off she goes. I go after her as hard as I can……knee deep swamp muck in areas. I was going too fast and jumped her again. I watch the direction and stop and put a waypoint in my GPS. Now I am creeping through the swamp one slow step at a time, scanning the ground ahead as I go. All of a sudden I see her laying on the ground 20 yards away. I take a couple more steps to get a good angle, lift my crossbow, put the crosshairs on her and let it fly. She never got up…It was a very humbling experience to stand next to your prey and watch it die.

Now for the fun part. I get out my GPS (which is an app on my phone) and figured out where the hell I was. After I gut her, I knew I was in for a long drag……took my crossbow out 20 yards, dragged her to it…over and over. Several times I was in up to my knees, lifting her as high as I could to keep her clean. An hour and a half later I was at my truck with 15% left on my smart phone battery.

Looking back, I sure wish I would have put a better shot on her to start (first shot hit her neck)……but, the tracking experience was one I won’t ever forget. She is one big doe who will provide some great meals this winter!!

Micro 335 - Vixenmaster String, Diablo, Slick Trick 150
M380 - Hawke XB30 Pro, Vixenmaster String, Quill, VPA 150 / FOC
xcaliber

Re: 2016 Hunting Trip a Sucess

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Congrats on a nice doe I'm glad you waited a while sometimes it's hard to wait them out when the shot isn't great. Great recovery
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Good job finding the doe. I had a similar tracking experience years ago. Ever since then I do all I can to ensure my shot placement is the best that it can be. But it's hunting and sometimes things go south.

Enjoy the fine venison...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.

Post by newbie »

congrats! Thanks for not giving up on her.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Good job finding the doe. I had a similar tracking experience years ago. Ever since then I do all I can to ensure my shot placement is the best that it can be. But it's hunting and sometimes things go south.

Agree with ensuring a good shot. I really don't know what happened!! She was broadside at 25 yards and I was resting by bow on a shooting rail. Target shooting I hit within a half dollar 10 out of 10 times with either field tips or my Slick Tricks at that distance. Either I didn't have the arrow all the way in or I hit something within 10 yards of my stand. BTW, after I saw the neck shot I went back and found my arrow after clearing some leaves....buried up to the glowing nock.
Micro 335 - Vixenmaster String, Diablo, Slick Trick 150
M380 - Hawke XB30 Pro, Vixenmaster String, Quill, VPA 150 / FOC
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

congratulations!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

congrats!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Scarecrow wrote:
bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Good job finding the doe. I had a similar tracking experience years ago. Ever since then I do all I can to ensure my shot placement is the best that it can be. But it's hunting and sometimes things go south.

Agree with ensuring a good shot. I really don't know what happened!! She was broadside at 25 yards and I was resting by bow on a shooting rail. Target shooting I hit within a half dollar 10 out of 10 times with either field tips or my Slick Tricks at that distance. Either I didn't have the arrow all the way in or I hit something within 10 yards of my stand. BTW, after I saw the neck shot I went back and found my arrow after clearing some leaves....buried up to the glowing nock.

I would guess it deflected off of something.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

Congrats!! Glad you found her!!
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Congrats!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Was excitin hunt, good shootin n recovery you did well
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Congrats :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Congrats.

Not having the bolt seated all the way back can cause an errant shot. Right before I shoot, I make sure the bolt is tightly seated. This is especially important if you are in a stand and pull your crossbow down from the hanger.

I learned how this can happen while target shooting and had a partial dry fire due to not paying attention and not pushing bolt all the way tight. I hit the target, but high and about 9" off center. The back off my bolt was also ruined as the string rode over the top of it as it went forward.