FOC Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hester0305

FOC Broadheads

Post by Hester0305 »

Ive been using Slick Trick broadhead for years in my opinion they're a great fixed blade head, so I haven't really wanted to try any other broadhead until looking at the FOC. I recently ordered some from Amazon. I would like to hear everyone's opinions that have owned and shot these and any kills with recoveries and blood trails.
Thanks
Eric
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
one shot scott

Re: FOC Broadheads

Post by one shot scott »

They are a good b/head. I band mine to prevent them from opening prematurely. I shot 1 yote and 2 deer this year. Both deer the shot was high and the exit wound was horizontal so not much in the way of blood. (hands and knees search with one,(she RAN AWAY FAST!) average blood trail with other that had a exit partially covered over) They did a lot of damage to the ribcage! all died within 40-100yards.

For a mechanical im ok with them but I may try a wide 3 blade next year.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

If you are looking at new BHs don't overlook the RamCat. As Scott posted blood trails have a lot to do with shot placement..
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
whitetail1

Post by whitetail1 »

I recently switched from Excalibur boltcutters to the F.O.C. this fall. I'm using a Matrix 405. I double lunged a doe about 1 1/2 weeks ago, which was a complete pass thru. She ran about 150 yards, stopped and walked another 30 yards into woods where she tipped over. Blood trail was good. I also arrowed a buck this past Saturday, which was also a double lung, and complete pass through. In fact, my bolt went another 20 yards after passing thru the deer, and buried itself about 1 1/2 inches into a tree. The buck ran about 60 yards and crashed. Blood trail was good. I'm very happy with the results, and would recommend them. The only thing I noticed is the practice tips they supply, don't shoot the same as the broadheads.
Tom
Matrix 405
Stock Diablos w/NAP FOC
DeerBoyArchery String
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I have used them on two deer and a bear. On the deer, both were excellent blood trails in shots in the dead center of the boiler room - it looked like someone was given a pail of blood and told to run haphazardly through the woods on those. On the bear, the shot was marginal, (high in the vitals, angling sharply down and out behind the opposite rib cage), and thus the blood trail was too but he didn't go more than 80 yards and I have some doubt that a 1 1/8" fixed blade BH would've put him down that quickly. All three kills produced pass-thrus. I will continue to use them but only from my heavy hitter, my custom Matrix 410.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

The data I analyzed 2 years ago on deer (over 500 data points) showed no correlation between distance travelled after the shot and anything BH related (num blades, total cut, fixed vs mech,)...nothing. Boiler room = 50 yds or less trail 50% of the time,. and 90yds or less trail 90% of the time.

CHeck this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsiM_iwmcNo
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Normous

Post by Normous »

The 170 grain FOC has been my go to broadhead for the the last 4 seasons and not one of my 7 deer shot with them went more than 50 yards and I discovered the wound channels to be very large. I simply replace the blades and clips and reshoot them over again without issue.

The .039 blades are robust for a mechanical and I find they bend only after slicing through ribs with only one blade breaking after arrowing 7 deer. During testing I found that the FOC and supplied 170 field tip impacted within 1/2" at 25 yards out of my Micro 355, Matrix 355, 380 and 405.

Refrain from opening and closing these broadheads frequently for inspection as this will wear out the internal clips which may contribute to a premature deployment later.

I do add a dental elastic for added insurance.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Thanks everyone I appreciate the feedback so far. I love the Grizztricks but sometimes I get sparce blood trails with lung shots especially from shots from a blind. Ive killed a lot of deer with archery equipment over the years and usually double lung shots bleed well andfall within 50-60 yards or less.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I have shot 3 deer with the FOC and none of them bled good . the hole on the out side was so big it got full of stuff and clogged . I found them all but it was not easy . so I switched to the grizz slick2 and not sorry . all good blood trails and not very long . on turkeys they work good . try some you may have better luck than I did .JMO
W.M.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

nchunterkw wrote:The data I analyzed 2 years ago on deer (over 500 data points) showed no correlation between distance travelled after the shot and anything BH related (num blades, total cut, fixed vs mech,)...nothing. Boiler room = 50 yds or less trail 50% of the time,. and 90yds or less trail 90% of the time.

CHeck this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsiM_iwmcNo
This.

Shot placement is king.

Any decent broadhead will do the job if it goes where it should.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

Shot placement --- shot placement !! all else is secondary in my humble opinion. Shot two deer yesterday -- both complete pass through ++ both hit above the body center line -- nice in and out holes -- both double lung --- both went about 50 yards and I watched them fall. In both cases the blood trail was almost negligible. Problem was not the broadhead but simply that the shot placement was above the centerline of the body cavity they both bleed out internally. If I had hit them a bit lower the blood trail would have been a lot different but I don't think a different broadhead by any name would have rendered them any deader.

My $.03 worth
SEW

Post by SEW »

My thoughts after using these for 4 years. They have very little steering and noise: i.e. are much like field points(index 6 & 12). Cut massive holes but sometimes no exit hole even with M405. As just stated above, hit lower than higher. If using them on lower energy bow, use heavier arrows. I'm slowly changing to Griz Tricks 2 (125g - 1 1/4" cut). I have 2 sets of arrows configured to where I can use both with my 400 & 405 out to 80+ yds.
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Great information. All of which reinforces that shot placement is the key.

Part of getting good shot placement is making sure your broad head flies true. I use slick tricks because you can use them multiple times on deer, or carbon express quad pro which cost only $15 for a 3 pack.

There is no need to spend a ton of money on broadheads to get good results, but hey, if that makes you feel more confident, then spend away.