2 in NY with Matrix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nyexhunter

2 in NY with Matrix

Post by nyexhunter »

Just got home from Delaware County today. Got a buck on Saturday,11/12 at 10:30 A.M. using the same broadhead (100 grain slick trick) and bolt (18' Gold tip Lazer II) that I used last Sunday morning on a large doe.

The doe was a pass through at 20 yards and went about 75 yards. No blood trail for the first 20 yards then plenty to follow after that. Didn't take any pics as it was a doe and on a Sunday and just wanted to pack up and head for home.

The buck was decent size and had 3 points on one side, so legal in the antler restricted area that I hunt (I'm not a fan of antler restrictions - but I follow the rules as much as I hate them). It came down the hill on the trail and passed right in front of me offering a quartering away shot at about 15 yards. Hit just behind the front leg and embedded in the off shoulder. I heard it run through the brush and pile up about 80 yards away. Unfortunately, the bolt broke off and I pulled it out leaving 4" and the broad head still imbedded inside. That's the end of the line for hunting with that bolt and broad head - I also got a buck last year with the same combination and was hoping to continue my streak of using this.

Now it's time to get ready for gun season. I'll be looking for a big buck and will be taking plenty of videos and pictures of does and small bucks until the big one comes by.
nyexhunter

Re: 2 in NY with Matrix

Post by nyexhunter »

Note that I have pictures of the buck, however, I'm getting a message that the jpeg files that I uploaded are too big. If someone wants to add them for me I will email them to you tomorrow and you can post them thanks.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Congrats on a strong finish! :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Which Matrix bow?
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
lunghit

Post by lunghit »

Good shooting and congrats!
Excal Wolverine
Hawke XB-30
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on couple of fine deer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Congrats :)

Why not finish filling out you profile with a little info about your location and crossbow ? ;)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

All I can admit to online is that it is a Matrix that is legal in NY. Our state has a 200# draw limit, which is another crazy rule among many in this state.

My matrix shoots approx. 330 FPS with the set up I'm using :)

I live in the Rochester area, but hunt mostly downstate in Delaware County,
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Congrats man. If you e-mail me the pics I will be happy to post them for you.. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

ImageImageImage
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

3and4 point rule in pa is best thing we have had on our Bucks.It gives Bucks chance to live and grow up shooting small bucks is waste.Now killing Doe off like was done here in pa is Worst thing that has happened to our hunting on publicland..

So bad I am looking at lease for next year to hunt my Buck..First time in 53 years..
catclr

Post by catclr »

Nice job on the doe & buck.

In my area of Pa. I need 3 up on a side. As Sproulman stated it has helped the bucks grow bigger. I saw a picture of a big buck shot about a mile from my home, where a fellow owns ground, and has been doing food plots, etc. to make his land better for all deer. His ground is not fenced, and a good bit of ground around him, that one can get permission to hunt, in fact my son-in-law has 20 acres next to the above fellow, and my grandson was hunting it the last Sat. of Archery, and only saw a 4 pt. and doe, not in range for doe.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

First, thanks for bellrivercrossbowhunter for posting pictures.

We have the 3 to a side in our area of NY; this one was barely in that range, I know. I will not shoot a small button buck, a spike or any small deer. Also, I will shoot only one adult doe per year. I do however believe the antler restriction thing turns many hunters away, (maybe there is some of the privileged elite factor involved that is influencing this :wink:) The NYS DEC wants more people out there taking part and these rules seem to contradict that.

That debate is for another place and time. Best of luck for the rest of your season and be safe.
Shoebuck

Post by Shoebuck »

I live in SW Pa. and the 3 up rule is the best thing that has happened in this backward state in a long time. Our season ended on Nov. 12th. The rest of the east coast will be hunting until end of Jan and some more. The antler rule has been great. I have hunted in Canada, Ohio,W VA, Md., Illinois and the bucks that we have here are the equal of all except Canada and that is just body size. It has also improved our age structure and that has caused a more orderly rut. Mother Nature wants all of the does to be bred in Nov. and we have a much better chance of that happening now
Micro 335 Camo
Micro 335 Nightmare
Black Eagle Zombies
Spynal Double Tapps
Slick Trick Mag
Wac'em Broadheads
DeerBoy Strings
Xcalibur Strings
8-PtBuck Strings
Nikon Bolt