Rage vs. Boltcutters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

joeyd50

Rage vs. Boltcutters

Post by joeyd50 »

I'm shooting a Excal Grizzly with 150gr. Boltcutters only because thats what Excal recommends. My son keeps telling me to get the Rage broadheads. What do you guys think or what would you recommend? I never shot anything with this bow yet.

Thanks

Joe
W.Miguire

Re: Rage vs. Boltcutters

Post by W.Miguire »

Try them both , the one that's shoots the best then that's the one to use . they are both deadly heads . then you can make the choice .JMO
W.M.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Rage Broadheads are the king....of MARKETING! I can honestly tell you that in all durability and performance testing the Rage always finish last. I, like many here, have had bad experiences with them and they are one of the last heads I would ever shoot. There are a lot of great options available in both fixed and mechanical. I would definitely stick with the boltcutters if I was you....and Rage can put that in the cage! :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

paulaboutform wrote:Rage Broadheads are the king....of MARKETING! I can honestly tell you that in all durability and performance testing the Rage always finish last. I, like many here, have had bad experiences with them and they are one of the last heads I would ever shoot. There are a lot of great options available in both fixed and mechanical. I would definitely stick with the boltcutters if I was you....and Rage can put that in the cage! :mrgreen:

Paul

:lol: :lol: :roll:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

You'll find folks on both sides of the fence here.....I'm on Paul's side and I hate them. As he said they are not durable and they can open up during launch causing all kinds of trouble. I gave up on mechanicals years ago. I see no need as I can make my fixed blades fly exactly where I aim. Also you have the Grizzly which is on the lower side of the power spectrum. IMO no need in wasting energy shooting a mechanical out of that bow. Finally, there is ample data to show that size of the BH does not correlate to how far deer run after they are hit. Put your Boltcutter through both lungs and look for your deer about 50 yds from where you shot or less.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
cdwester

Post by cdwester »

When I first started I used Bolt Cutters because they were recommended and did have some success. I switched to mechanical broadheads because I liked the fact they give you a little wiggle room if your shot isn't perfect. I use the NAP FOC broadheads and I'm 3 for 3 with them now. Never hunted with RAGE but I know guys who do had a lot of success with them. Also heard good things about Grim Reapers. Personally I prefer the mechanical that don't use a rubber band. If your interested in a more total cut but want a fixed blade check out Slick Trick Xbow tricks. I still have one of those in my quiver for coyotes.
galamb

Post by galamb »

You are comparing a mechanical to a fixed head - pro's/con's for each.

And I'm with Paul re the Rage heads. I'm a broadhead junkie and test 8 to 10 new ones a year (I sell the stuff so have no shortage of reps tossing me "samples") and in all my "not-so-scientific real world testing" I have yet to find a broadhead that penetrates less then a Rage - although a few were less durable.

Mechanical's have come a long way in the past 20 years or so. Many of the "horror stories" are hard kept opinions from the very early models.

I personally prefer mechanical's, I can just get them to fly "more true" in every kind of weather condition (fixed blades are more prone to getting blown off course in a cross wind as an example, particularly if you are stretching out your shot, but will never "fail to deploy" - again, pro's/con's).

If you stick to the main brand names it's tough to go wrong.

We all have our favourites - I'm currently shooting mechanical's from Dead Ringer but have shot Axe Archery, NAP and G5's with outstanding results - dead is dead, but as a "junkie" I'm always looking for the "next best thing" :)

The guy I hunt with has been shooting the Boltcutter's for as long as I have been trying the latest/greatest and his deer all ended up just as dead as mine and neither of us have lost a deer in the process.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
joeyd50

Post by joeyd50 »

Thanks guys, very good answers, all good, I'm staying with the boltcutters if I do change I have plenty of heads to play with.
Thanks Again
Joe
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

Killed 5 deer so far with Boltcutters, 4 never went more than 20 yards.
One went 400 yards but that was my fault.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
whoay

Post by whoay »

I helped look all day this year for my uncles buck he shot back on with a rage and it didn't open never found the deer. that's why I shoot fixed blades this year I shot the nap hellrazor 100grain with easton bloodline bolts and lumenoks the buck I so didn't go 40 yds... I will not shoto rage for this reason.
L.C.B.H

Post by L.C.B.H »

Rage,if i was to use a fixed i would shoot a decent one....
Libtards make me sick, and I don't take orders from a forum rat who needs to go to a safe place. Get used to Conservative Right wing hard working Canadians telling you liberals to F off!!!!! :wave:
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

i never used rage but i used to use another brand of mechanical.. nothing but issues.. i used fixed blades only now.. i swear by the Muzzy 3 blade 125 grain.. deadly, large wound and durable as all heck.. .love 'em.. all i will shoot anymore..
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

paulaboutform wrote:Rage Broadheads are the king....of MARKETING! I can honestly tell you that in all durability and performance testing the Rage always finish last. I, like many here, have had bad experiences with them and they are one of the last heads I would ever shoot. There are a lot of great options available in both fixed and mechanical. I would definitely stick with the boltcutters if I was you....and Rage can put that in the cage! :mrgreen:

Paul
Very good Paul..Lay a rage point on table now lay a spitfire next to it...For me I like looks and feel on arrow of spitfire...
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

You might find the Grizzly with Diablos and these VPA's to be just what the doctor ordered.

https://vparchery.com/product/vpa-3-bla ... pack-copy/
SEW

Post by SEW »

Paul
Paul,
I actually think you are being too kind to the Rage broadheads.
Steve