Rage vs. Boltcutters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Re: Rage vs. Boltcutters

Post by SEW »

This picture is of a deer killed with a rifle. A Rage broadhead was found in the heart. It had encapsulated over. As Sproul stated, the Spitfire just looks better and has performed very well for me. Great and bad experiences with the Rage.
Huntsman

Post by Huntsman »

I'm one of those Excalibur Crossbow shooters that sticks to Excalibur crossbow equipment, therefore I use the Boltcutters with my Matrix 350 LE and X-Act mech's with my Axiom
Axiom w/Excalibur stock accessories
Matrix 350 LE w/Excalibur stock accessories
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

I went to get lore Muzzy 3 blade fixed heads but they were out...so I went with the NAP Thunderhead 125 grain 3 blade fixed heads....
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
Huntsman

Post by Huntsman »

xbowrook wrote:I went to get lore Muzzy 3 blade fixed heads but they were out...so I went with the NAP Thunderhead 125 grain 3 blade fixed heads....
Let me know if you want to buy some more. I have some for sale on another forum.
;)
Axiom w/Excalibur stock accessories
Matrix 350 LE w/Excalibur stock accessories
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

I know more guys who have used the rage and lost animals with them failing to do the job. I have always wondered why everyone is trying to use the smallest BH possible, I use a wensel woodsman 150 gr and they fly like darts. No need to mess with heavy adapters etc... Looking forward to using my cub in the late season.
L.C.B.H

Post by L.C.B.H »

Blaming the broadhead is a crutch,and an excuse for a bad shot.I hear it everyday,all day from some who should not be in the woods.With any weapon,or any broadhead.
Libtards make me sick, and I don't take orders from a forum rat who needs to go to a safe place. Get used to Conservative Right wing hard working Canadians telling you liberals to F off!!!!! :wave:
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

L.C.B.H wrote:Blaming the broadhead is a crutch,and an excuse for a bad shot.I hear it everyday,all day from some who should not be in the woods.With any weapon,or any broadhead.
that's not a totally accurate statement in every case.. yes there are some who don't do their due diligence in ensuring the broadheads are tight, set properly, sharp etc.. i even saw a guy on youtube saying how the rage sucked meanwhile he had the blades backwards.. not sure how that happened but he did it.. but then there are situations where the blades don't perform.. the don't open upon impact or they open prematurely... i have only once had an issue with a fixed blade and that was actually with the boltcutters.. i also had issue with the mechanical wasp jackhammer's.. i had harvested many deer with them but i had it once where the blade never opened on impact and resulted in a lost deer... i am a 1 strike guy, if a blade fails once i am done with them. i hate wounding or losing deer, which is why i went back to fixed blades, far less to go wrong with them.. now i can't speak for every hunter, i know some just open the broadhead package after purchase, throw them on and head to the field.. but i know i go through many steps to make sure they are ready and that i have done all I can do so they perform to the level that they are marketed to do... sometimes hunters may use it as a crutch to divert from a bad shot etc... but there are many times where it IS a broadhead issue...
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
SEW

Post by SEW »

L.C.B.H wrote:Blaming the broadhead is a crutch,and an excuse for a bad shot.I hear it everyday,all day from some who should not be in the woods.With any weapon,or any broadhead.
I'm amazed at this post. I normally use mechanicals. Since they are not static, the design is critical and not equal across all expandible designs. Rage broadheads seem to have great marketing and a greater measure of disappointment by their users. I've used Rage broadheads, never lost a deer to Rage broadheads but have never seen such varied results/performance with any other broadhead , fixed or expandible.
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

SEW wrote:
I'm amazed at this post. I normally use mechanicals. Since they are not static, the design is critical and not equal across all expandible designs. Rage broadheads seem to have great marketing and a greater measure of disappointment by their users. I've used Rage broadheads, never lost a deer to Rage broadheads but have never seen such varied results/performance with any other broadhead , fixed or expandible.
i agree.. now i have never used them to hunt and don't think i ever will.. i had purchased a set last year, much against my gut feeling... i put the target head on to sight in ( and i was getting dead nuts bullseye at 20 yards with my field points) and noticed the practice head was very rattly and the practice "blades" were very loose.. i put the heads on and didn't get a consistent group at all.. there was easily 6" spread on all shots.. it was scary... i took a bunch of shots and blew threw all the shock collars but had to try to get it accurate.. never did, best i got was like i say, 6" spread between 4 bolts at 20 yards.. they went straight into the garbage... lol... i took my 3 blade 125 grain muzzy fixed blades out ( i had them in my archery tool box) and 4 bolts hit dead on where my f/p was hitting... i actually ruined a bolt as the head sliced off my vane on another bolt that was stuck in the target... i read a bunch of reviews and a vast majority of them were people who ( like me) bought into the marketing and were greatly disappointed...
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

I did try rage with my mxb 400 and went back to fixed blade due to the rage
opening in my quiver one time. never had a problem making a fixed blade fly
and during hunting season I practice with my hunting arrow. so no need for the arrow that flies same as field point.
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

[quote="xbowrook"][quote="L.C.B.H"] i have only once had an issue with a fixed blade and that was actually with the boltcutters.. boltcutters Out of curiosity , what was the issue you had with Boltcutters? Thanks for your response.
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
L.C.B.H

Post by L.C.B.H »

People blaming a broadhead for bad shots is a very common excuse,it does not matter which head,fixed or mechanical.If your setup is not set up and dialed in.That's the hunter,not the equipment.Some people should not be in the woods,no matter what they have on tip of arrow.
Libtards make me sick, and I don't take orders from a forum rat who needs to go to a safe place. Get used to Conservative Right wing hard working Canadians telling you liberals to F off!!!!! :wave:
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

Arrowflinger wrote:
xbowrook wrote:
L.C.B.H wrote: i have only once had an issue with a fixed blade and that was actually with the boltcutters.. boltcutters Out of curiosity , what was the issue you had with Boltcutters? Thanks for your response.

not sure what happened with it... i had a nice 8 point come in, stopped him at 17 yards, perfectly broadside.. hit him about 4" behind the front shoulder, looked like a perfect shot.. but the bolt only went in about 6".. it was a brand new head out of the pack, seemed very sharp.. followed a very faint blood trail for about 1 1/2 km and then nothing.. all the blades were straight and very sharp.. very weird..
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

L.C.B.H wrote:People blaming a broadhead for bad shots is a very common excuse,it does not matter which head,fixed or mechanical.If your setup is not set up and dialed in.That's the hunter,not the equipment.Some people should not be in the woods,no matter what they have on tip of arrow.
yes, there are some people that shouldn't be in the woods, just like there are people who shouldn't be behind the wheel of a vehicle or be allowed to breed..... but you don't seem to get the point.. sometimes, the equipment fails, end of story.. just like anything in life ( vehicles, safety equipment, houses, etc.), it's not perfect, nothing ever is 100% perfect, there will always be mechanical issues with everything because everything is still man mad... . i have made , literally, perfect shots and had my equipment fail... i spend lots of time tuning and sighting in my equipment, everything is clean, tight and tuned in... sometimes, it is the equipment.. if what you say is true, then you would never hear of blades deploying early, or not at all... or limbs exploding when shooting or triggers locking up, etc... say what you think is true, but you are wrong as can be... i believe every hunter should do their best to make sure they equipment is as efficient as humanly possible.. but there are times when things go wrong that nobody can prepare for or expect to happen... bad shots is one thing.. but there are times, more than you obviously care to admit, where it's not the shot or the hunter.. crap happens ,to all of us , at one point or another...
L.C.B.H

Post by L.C.B.H »

Oh,i get it.Fixed blades or mechs will and can fail,i just believe it's usually the hunter who made it fail.Lots of guys who are very tech savvy and tune and tinker with equipment,but the majority....well,they are the "just screw em on n' go" types....