Ladder stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mark Rainbolt

Ladder stands

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

Hey Guy's
I am in the market for a new ladder stand. I want one that has plenty of room since I have a big arse needs to have a big seat that's comfortable for my butt. Would like a shooting rail and a at least 18 feet tall with a big platform.Any suggestions would be most useful. And if you tell me why you like a certain one would be helpful.
Thank you for your time.
God Bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: Ladder stands

Post by Doe Master »

I don`t have large ladder stands but I personally found the shooting rest was a pain in the butt . Great for shooting a gun out to a distance . But for the bow and close range it was the first thing that went flying one time when I could not get a shot at a deer at 15 yards . :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Don't buy any Summit Ladderstand, they be junk n i own one
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
janesy

Post by janesy »

We have a couple Ameristeps two man stands. But they are only 15 or so feet. They are pretty comfy. I do however use a ratchet strap to pull the middle of the ladder into the tree instead of the chimney straps you are wanted to use.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Been thinking about getting this ladder from x-stand next year.

https://x-stand.com/product/the-duke/
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

I like Muddy and Biggame ladder stands.I just bought another the warrior cause it has a steel platform where you place your seat.But its smaller then you want.I really like my Muddy but you cannot buy any parts for em period.I need a new mesh seat.No parts period. So think about that if you want a Muddy or a Biggame treestand.No parts if you need em.No you can't buy any parts.I would look at the Millineum ladder stand.Hope this helps some.
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

They have a nice selection at Dicks Sporting Goods or Field and Stream. They deeply discount them from time to time.

Since age has made me less monkey like in my climbing ability, I only use ladder stands now - I sold 6 hanging stands last year via Craigslist.

You will want the following
- A good deep and wide platform - the half platform models are not as comfortable for your feet to rest on or stand up on.
- Arm rests and an adjustable bar in front so you can feel secure in your stand and adjust the rest to a comfortable stable position to rest your Xbow on as you wait and also to shoot off.
- A height to the bottom of the platform (not the seat) that is at least 15 feet high

Set up your ladder stand so you have good cover. If you can tuck it in to a pine tree or surrounded by pine trees that is always good.
Buy some metal flag pole holders from Home Depot (the kind that hold the small US flags that you put out on 4th of July) spray paint these flat black. Screw a few of these on each side of the tree to the left and right of where you are sitting. Put some pine boughs in these pole holders to provide natural cover.
Buy some camo netting and wrap this around the rail to keep your leg movements hidden.

The ratchet straps mentioned above is a good thing to secure your stand. Also, on all of our ladder stands, we use metal strips approx. 2" wide and 6" long that we drill holes in each end and use to lag bolt each side of the top part of the stand behind the seat to the tree. This provides an extra amount of safety.

Good luck with your stand research and selection. Hopefully, my information will help you some.
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

What is your expected budget? $100 stands or $250+ stands?
If money weren't an object I would look at the millennium stand that is round with the seat in the middle, the L360. I sit in the similar version of that chair and it is very comfortable
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Room is no.1 with me.I use summit climber that has rail around me I fall asleep at times.

Back to ladderstand big platform is must for me .biggest you can get in single one..I like a sling seat not metal seat ..if you can find a big platform with SLING SEAT ..BUY IT..

IN ARCHERY I LIKE STAND AT 18 FT IN GUN SEASON 15 IS FINE .....If you find a big platform stand with SLING SEAT i AM INTERESTED ALSO...Those metal seats are just AWFUL.......
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

To each his own. I actually prefer the metal seat. The sling seats shift too much and are difficult to get comfortable in.
Of course you put at least two, thick closed cell foam hunting seat cushions down on top of the solid seat and it's all good.
galamb

Post by galamb »

Before I moved on to permanent stands (self constructed) I had a pair of Big Game (brand) Stealth stands. They were about 15' to the foot rest and had the fixed shooting rail (nice feature - the shoot rail that is).

If I had to do it again I would go with one of the various "2 person" stands.

I could, in a pinch, re-cock the crossbow in the single stand - would be easy in a double.

Also, when you are up there for "hours" you would certainly appreciate the extra room - even just the ability to put you day pack and other "junk" beside you on the seat would be worth the few extra bucks for the double.

Just about all of them are made in China now with very minor differences (just enough to get a different patent). So find the height you want at the price you want to pay and don't worry too much about what "brand name" is on the stand - they all came over on a freighter :)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

nyexhunter wrote:To each his own. I actually prefer the metal seat. The sling seats shift too much and are difficult to get comfortable in.
Of course you put at least two, thick closed cell foam hunting seat cushions down on top of the solid seat and it's all good.

I use top section of my Summit climber in my ladderstand years ago best of both worlds nice SAFE rail around me too sleep and nice seat..NO WAY I CAN SIT ON METAL SEAT..If me would get double stand 2 man ones they are cheap at wal-mart 97 dollars more room is better for sure..
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I like the dicks 49.oo dollar specials . But the king is the leverage speed ladder. ( telescopes )l love mine
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

janesy wrote:We have a couple Ameristeps two man stands. But they are only 15 or so feet. They are pretty comfy. I do however use a ratchet strap to pull the middle of the ladder into the tree instead of the chimney straps you are wanted to use.
I also have a cpl of the two men Ameristep ladder stand. I bought them at Walmart, $99/ea.

Hey Janesy, does yours have a back rest?? I noticed they don't, unless you get the one sold at Walmart.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Hey Mark I have 4 ameristep ladder stands, and I absolutely love them, it is 16 ft. to the standing platform, and they have a shooting rail that you can adjust up or down, witch I think is a must. I am a big guy too, but I find them fairly comfortable, but I don't use the cushin that comes with them, I use a softer cushing ( you know, gotta take care of these old bones ) :lol: I also have a tripod stand that is the cats meow, it has the swivel chair, shooting rail,
but I had to move the chair to the back from the ladder in order to get up in it without any problems, and I can still swivel and see 360 deg. the tripod is without a doubt my favorite, !!!!

Dave :D
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<