Anyone still eating venison from last year?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Anyone still eating venison from last year?

Post by Guest »

I've read that you should consume your deer in under 6 months or face flavor degradation.
I have'nt found any truth to that statement. I still have about 20 lbs. left from the two deer last year and it still tastes just fine.
I like to be able to eat venison all year round, so two deer are what I strive for when in season.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Had a venison Roast for dinner 2 nights ago,, Last years meat.. Still tender and tasty :wink: also made some jerky the other night MMMMM Good :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
wabi

Post by wabi »

I just made jerky a few night ago and it's as good as ever. I've also read recommendations to let the meat remain frozen for 30 or 60 days to kill off parasites, bacteria, or some bad things :?: Never followed that advice either :lol:
From last year's 3 deer I have 8# of burger and 4# of steaks left. That should work out about right if I get another deer in October :wink:
wabi
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

Still have 2 packages of sirloins left. I think I'll barbeque them up this weekend.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Venison is naturally lean, but the fat, if it has any on it, will go rancid even if frozen. Nobody I know likes to eat deer fat fresh or old, but when it gets old, it really needs to be trimmed off.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
kev

Post by kev »

I still have a few packs of sausage left. I plan on a good season this year.
Don Crist

Post by Don Crist »

I have a "Food Saver" vacumn packing system. I have had venison 2 years old that is still fine. By drawing out all the air you don't get the freezer burn that ruins the flavor.
ranger66

Post by ranger66 »

I'm down to my last jar, and a couple packs of pepperettes, and couple packs of garlic sausage, shouldn't have much of it left by the time deer season roles around.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I find there are many factors involved in good tasting meat, year round. Don't gut shoot, or get any contaminate on meat, bleed the animal good, chill the meat as soon as possible, cut ALL fat off, vacumn pack if possible or double wrap, and I always debone my meat before freezing it. If you must add pork to hamburger, I do it before cooking not with the deer meat and then freezing it. I'm fussy about what kind of meat, only solid red meat, no cartillage, sinu, fat or blood shot mixed it.

I find when I follow these simple steps, venison has a longer shelf life, tasting good even one year later.

Grey Owl
Spring

Post by Spring »

I'm out. That stuff doesn't hang around our house very long. We save it for special occassions. Weekend is a special occassion. So is Tuesday.

:wink: :lol:

Cheers!
Fur & Feathers

Post by Fur & Feathers »

Just ate a bunch of steaks when we had company. Still tastes great. Took the little left & put it in regular freezer. Defrosted the freezer & it's ready to be filled with this yrs. meat. Never had venison older than 1 yr. Up to 1 yr still good.
Get out & Enjoy.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Still working on finishing off some hamberger and sausage and a couple packages of chops and steaks.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
maple

Post by maple »

Yup, I still have about 15 pounds left, and a few sausages from a nice doe. We had some last weekend and it still tintilates the taste buds. Shortly marinated in PC Caesar salad dressing and onto the hot grill.

When I get the cut and wrapped (bones-in) meat back from the butcher, I vacuum seal it in plastic. I'm really happy with how well the meat keeps like that, and I have no qualms about keeping it a whole year. No percievable freezer burn or discolouration.

On the other hand, there's nothing like fresh tenderloin in the frying pan. Can't wait.

Maple
Hoss not logged

Post by Hoss not logged »

Had some chicken fried venision last night w/some white gravy on em and a backed tater....

My wife makes sure she has some to feed me right before opening day :wink: I guess she thinks I need reminded how wonderful it really is.. :shock: NOT

I have a few more chiken fries and a few more lbs of ground....time to make room in the freezer...
cdngunner

Post by cdngunner »

Don Crist wrote:I have a "Food Saver" vacumn packing system. I have had venison 2 years old that is still fine. By drawing out all the air you don't get the freezer burn that ruins the flavor.

DITTO