Heavier arrows better for micro's?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

automated11

Heavier arrows better for micro's?

Post by automated11 »

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are I typically shoot heavy arrows with my matrix 355 and I heard they are better for the limbs. Currently I shoot gold tip laser 4 arrows somewhere between 550 and 600 grains. Would a similar arrow be good for the micro's or should I just stick with the quills?
Super Vixen - AKA Matrix 355 with Vixen II Stock
Buggy Bumpers
Gold Tip Laser 4 Arrows with Swhacker 125 Heads
Miller Quiver Mount
Leupold Shotgun Scope (Miller)
Flemish String

Micro 355 Tact-zone Package, soon to be modded.
Tank640

Re: Heavier arrows better for micro's?

Post by Tank640 »

I have just un-boxed my micro suppressor and I am definitely curious on the answer to this question. Do you know what weight the standard Quill bolt is?
"Life's a garden, dig it"

Equinox 350
Matrix 380 Lynx
Micro suppressor
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Tank640 wrote:I have just un-boxed my micro suppressor and I am definitely curious on the answer to this question. Do you know what weight the standard Quill bolt is?

400 grains with 150 gr point...16.5 inchs long ..Most like weight between 400/425 grs..

BEST arrow for Micro is ZOMBIE SLAYERS cut 16/16.5 inchs based on point length.I use 16.5 with my spitfires ,110 gr insert, 100 gr point,lumenocks weight 412 grs ..
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

I own a micro 335, I harvested a doe with an Easton FMJ arrow 17 inches and a boltcutter broadhead, total weight 480 gr. Speed 297 fps. Very accurate up to 50 yards. I didn't try further.

Marcel
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Micros will shoot about anything your throw in there accurately and safely as long as it weighs 350gr or more. IMO the answer to your question depends on (at least) 2 things:
1) what you are hunting
2) what type of BH you are using.

Addressing #1
The GT Laser4's (now re-marketed as the Nitro or Nitro Pro) are what I used to setup a 500 gr arrow for bison hunting. For large game like that I want something heavier so I have more momentum and better penetration. I like this arrow for big game (Elk, Moose, Bear, Bison etc.) as it is 14GPI and still all carbon. And now you can get NuFletch Igniters for it (I asked, and they made me the very first ones for these arrows for my bison trip last yr.) It is also plenty stiff, which I think is a big consideration when choosing arrows for these high poundage Micro/Matrix bows. The only "downside" is their brass insert only weight 60gr, so you need to use their weight system to beef that up.
For whitetailed deer and other think skinned game (mule deer, antelope, lots of African things) I keep things in the 400 - 425 gr area as Sproul suggested. It's a good compromise between speed and momentum IMO. But again, for a Micro you want something stiff. Not only does this help with accuracy, but it helps with penetration IMO. So here I go with the Zombies, and a 110gr insert, and an Igniter nock.

Addressing #2
The main difference I am talking about here is fixed vs mechanical. I shoot fixed, and with a stiff arrow and no energy loss due to the head having to open, all of that arrows energy is centered behind that head at impact. This causes good penetration. If you shoot mechanical, you may want to consider a heavier arrow with more momentum to aid in the opening of the BH at impact.

Other Things I think about sometimes
Since I hunt from the ground a lot, a light fast shooting arrow will blow through a deer and go a long ways into the woods. Losing them gets expensive. A heavy arrow (like your 600 gr one) on the other hand, will have a decent downward arc (even at 20 yds) and will tend to not go as far downrange after impact

PROS/CONS
Heavy - Pros
High momentum = good penetration
Quiets the bow (requires more energy to launch)
Retains higher percentage of both speed and energy downrange

Heavy - Cons
Slower = more trajectory = more error on misjudged yardage

Lighter - Pros
Higher speed = flatter trajectory = less error for yardage misjudgment

Lighter - Cons
Harsher shot (louder more vibration)
Loses speed/energy faster
Less momentum = could have less penetration

I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions too...but hopefully this helps and gives you some things to consider
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
automated11

Post by automated11 »

nchunterkw wrote:Micros will shoot about anything your throw in there accurately and safely as long as it weighs 350gr or more. IMO the answer to your question depends on (at least) 2 things:
1) what you are hunting
2) what type of BH you are using.

Addressing #1
The GT Laser4's (now re-marketed as the Nitro or Nitro Pro) are what I used to setup a 500 gr arrow for bison hunting. For large game like that I want something heavier so I have more momentum and better penetration. I like this arrow for big game (Elk, Moose, Bear, Bison etc.) as it is 14GPI and still all carbon. And now you can get NuFletch Igniters for it (I asked, and they made me the very first ones for these arrows for my bison trip last yr.) It is also plenty stiff, which I think is a big consideration when choosing arrows for these high poundage Micro/Matrix bows. The only "downside" is their brass insert only weight 60gr, so you need to use their weight system to beef that up.
For whitetailed deer and other think skinned game (mule deer, antelope, lots of African things) I keep things in the 400 - 425 gr area as Sproul suggested. It's a good compromise between speed and momentum IMO. But again, for a Micro you want something stiff. Not only does this help with accuracy, but it helps with penetration IMO. So here I go with the Zombies, and a 110gr insert, and an Igniter nock.

Addressing #2
The main difference I am talking about here is fixed vs mechanical. I shoot fixed, and with a stiff arrow and no energy loss due to the head having to open, all of that arrows energy is centered behind that head at impact. This causes good penetration. If you shoot mechanical, you may want to consider a heavier arrow with more momentum to aid in the opening of the BH at impact.

Other Things I think about sometimes
Since I hunt from the ground a lot, a light fast shooting arrow will blow through a deer and go a long ways into the woods. Losing them gets expensive. A heavy arrow (like your 600 gr one) on the other hand, will have a decent downward arc (even at 20 yds) and will tend to not go as far downrange after impact

PROS/CONS
Heavy - Pros
High momentum = good penetration
Quiets the bow (requires more energy to launch)
Retains higher percentage of both speed and energy downrange

Heavy - Cons
Slower = more trajectory = more error on misjudged yardage

Lighter - Pros
Higher speed = flatter trajectory = less error for yardage misjudgment

Lighter - Cons
Harsher shot (louder more vibration)
Loses speed/energy faster
Less momentum = could have less penetration

I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions too...but hopefully this helps and gives you some things to consider
Thanks that's a lot of good info!
Buggy Bumpers
Miller Quiver Mount
Flemish String

automated11

Post by automated11 »

Does anyone know if heavier arrows promote longer limb life?
Buggy Bumpers
Miller Quiver Mount
Flemish String

longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Absolutely
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Micro.slayer

Post by Micro.slayer »

I am shooting Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streak 16.5 And wanna shoot 125 Ramcats. So for you guys that aren't familiar with C E arrows (bolts). I don't think they make bass inserts for them. Jerry at South Shore Archery told me to get 8/32 All thread 3' long . I cut it 3" (10) pieces. 100gr. Each for my 10 bolts. They weigh 465gr.
Normous

Post by Normous »

automated11 wrote:Does anyone know if heavier arrows promote longer limb life?
I continued to shoot light and fast arrows after the Matrix and Micro series arrived from Excalibur without any negative side effects.

The Kustom 355 I built is more like a Micro 375 due to increased mainframe length any my original limbs show no sign of stress after 1000 shots using mostly a 378 grain arrow.

I would think on paper a heavier arrow could promote longer limb life but my light arrows do the same the way I see it.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family