Do-It-Yourself Butcher???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tank640

Re: Do-It-Yourself Butcher???

Post by Tank640 »

We are big fans of food saver when it comes to our deer processing.we have a grinder and make our own burger as well. From start to finish it takes 3 of us 5 hours. Well worth it and you know what you are getting.
"Life's a garden, dig it"

Equinox 350
Matrix 380 Lynx
Micro suppressor
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I am a big fan of home canning. I will pressure can most of my venison this year after removing a few steaks and roasts :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....google and YouTube are your best butchers!

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

After or butcher messed up our meat. we started doing our own with no problems.

It seems that many butchers switch meat, combine meat for grinding and even short change customers as well as outrageous prices for very poor results.

I just makes sense to DIY deer butchering.

We have had a few good butchers, but they all retired years and years ago.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I consider myself fortunate that I have a local butcher who is skilled and honest. For the most part I am very happy with what he does and since I started going there I would even consider him a buddy. I have had him out my way to join in with a couple of hunts. The only reason why I would consider learning to do my own butchering is for the sake of having it 100% deboned, and perhaps the pride of being able to do so. It wouldn't be to save time or money because by the time I get all set up I would have a lot invested. And spare time I am definitely short on
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Allan

Post by Allan »

Normous OMG I learned from the same book. I believe it was an "outdoor life" publication.

I agree with Belleriver, Google it and learn more every time you butcher one.
oldmuleskinner

Post by oldmuleskinner »

For many years I have been home canning our venison. I usually run at least four canners at a time, sometimes six. A whitetail doe in my neck of the woods will usually fill 22 quarts. A fairly large buck will fill close to 30.

Since I have the stoves and canners set up, we usually buy additional beef or pork to can.

With the venison, I cut it into chunks around 1". I put a slice of onion in the bottom of a wide mouth quart and pack the jar with meat to within about 1" from the top. I then add 2 bay leaves, a chunk of beef fat that is about the size of my thumb, and a teaspoon of beef bullion powder.

I pressure it at 15# for 90 minutes.

There is no gamey taste and it will store for many, many years. It is awesome in soups, stews, sauces, or mixed with BBQ sauce for sandwiches. It is great for a quick, convenient meal. :D :D :D
FISH-ON

Post by FISH-ON »

Princess Auto sells a decent 1/3hp grinder, keep in mind that it requires small ice cubed pieces threw it for the processing is the best/easiest result minus silver skin & bones for grinding...especially since I might use it only the once a year
Vacuum pack machine to preserve as long as possible, small pice of fat threw the machine first helps in lubricating the blades/chute etc. As well a light coat of vegetable oil over any metal products before boxing helps with any rust spots etc
Good luck!
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I've been butchering all my own critters from day one the same way my stepdad did years ago. As many have stated there are some excellent tutorials on youtube and other online sources. It's not that hard and it is quite rewarding to take the animal from hoof to table all by yourself.

I have a spam grade Cuisinart grinder and a Foodsaver vacuum sealer. Both of these have served me well for a few years now. There are more powerful grinders out there but for the deer or two I do each year this one is just fine.

Good luck and happy butchering. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads