RETURNED FROM THE RUSSIAN BOAR HUNT

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

RETURNED FROM THE RUSSIAN BOAR HUNT

Post by paulaboutform »

I met Normous last Wednesday at the Edmonton airport and the hunt was on. The weather was far too mild with no snow and temps above freezing. We sat at the airport Timmy's and caught up a little while waiting for my buddy to pick us up. We got back to the house and quickly unpacked, got our bows together and got ready. Had a quick snack, confirmed zero then loaded up the bait in the sled and headed to our blind on the quads.
I've been hunting here for around 18-20 years and this hunt was probably in the top two slowest hunts I've experienced. I'm unsure what was happening but the hogs weren't moving until just before dark and even then it was just young hogs and skittish to beat all get out! Nonetheless, a nice 160lbs sow came out that first night and Norm made a perfect double lung shot at about 20yards zipping a Slick Trick Mag through her like a hot knife through butter. The recovery was about 60yards (please make any corrections as needed Norm) and that summed up our first day. Thursday we sat on stand from morning to late afternoon with nothing but a little bugger coming in gorging on the bait and grain. Again, just before dark we had two sows come in and I got to test my M380/Zombie/Firenock/125gr GrizzTrick2 combo. The shot was absolutely perfect! Slightly quartering away, the arrow was halfway below midline and brisket and exiting touching the rear of the front leg. Perfect double lung shot but this 180lbs sow ran at least 90 yards with what looked like a slug hole and almost no blood until the last 20-30 yards. I still don't understand that. I told Norm that I've been spoiled by my Toxics as I don't doubt this hog wouldn't have made it 50yards had I been shooting a toxic. Day three and a little porker came out a little earlier in the afternoon and Norm put his second down with another perfect shot and a quick recovery. We saw nothing for the rest of the day. We did move to a different blind for the last part of the afternoon but nothing came into range and again, very skittish. On the last day we saw nothing from morning until dark. We stayed in the blind at dark and eventually four little ones showed up. I'm talking about 50lbs little. I had the illuminated Vortex Viper on the lowest light setting and my laser zipping out matched to my center crosshairs. That was very cool! I was shooting a QAD EXODUS 125gr this time and the teensy young boar never left the clearing running only 20-30 yards.
Aside from the hunting being slow and no opportunities for more hogs or bug boars this will be one of my most memorable hunts. I was honored to get to hunt a few days with my dear friend Norm and will gladly take any opportunity to share a hunt together again. Norm, you're a gentleman and I'm so glad you came out. Thanks buddy. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.

Re: RETURNED FROM THE RUSSIAN BOAR HUNT

Post by newbie »

Congrats to you both on the memorable hunt! Im jealous!
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Sounds like a great hunt, Paul. Congrats to both of you.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Sharing a blind with Norm . Can not think of a better way to spend time off .
Congrats on a successful hunt . A good hunt is not always measured by inches . :D
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Doe Master wrote:Sharing a blind with Norm . Can not think of a better way to spend time off .
Congrats on a successful hunt . A good hunt is not always measured by inches . :D
....or lbs.. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

Here your pics

Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel
Normous

Post by Normous »

One of my nicest pleasures of this trip was listening to Paul's prior hunting history because I had no idea he has had so many hunting experiences under his belt and it was certainly a privilege to accompany him to one of his favorite hunting lands and guide/friend Bernie near Edmonton Alberta.
Thanks for the awesome hunt Paul!
Our arrows flew true and on perfect mark for quick kills and short recoveries, we each arrowed two nice Russian Boars.

Paul's nice one!

Paul and I spent plenty of time in the blind with Bernie swapping hunting stories. I'm about to sent a 530 grain 2219 with a Slick Trick Mag out of my Micro 355 into the boiler room.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
SEW

Post by SEW »

Really a great report! Seems like a great trip to me.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Wow! Sounds like a great hunt! Congrats to both of you!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. A big congrats to you both...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats to both of you on a fine harvest, and sharing some great time in the field!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats to y'all on yer nice porker hunt n kills
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Thanks for the great story and pics Paul and Norm. Looks like you all had a great time. :D
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Nice Work Gentlemen! :D

Thanks for sharing.

One of these years I may have to join you Paul... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sounds like a great hunt for sure guys.
Congrats on your success! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads