First Excalibur for my 10 year old

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

oxman

First Excalibur for my 10 year old

Post by oxman »

My son will be joining me in the woods next year for the first time actually hunting. I shoot a vortex (thanks Dan) and I could upgrade and pass down mine or get him something new. Looking for feedback here. Merry Christmas to all
xcaliber

Re: First Excalibur for my 10 year old

Post by xcaliber »

Well that would be a very Merry Christmas! You can get great deals on the Mag Tip models, and an Ibex would fit the bill for many years. That way, you guys are using the same arrows, etc. Just my opinion on keeping it simple.
Have a great Holiday Season,
Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Wow, lucky kid . Didn't get my first Excal till I was 50 :mrgreen:
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

If you want to buy him his own bow I would consider Matrix Sapphire as it would be easier to handle and a supper sweet bow that really could serve him a life time .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Remember that with a Crankaroo, no bow is too big. When I bought my Micro my daughter started hunting with my old ExoMax. The draw length and weight are a bit too much for her to cock with the rope, but she has no issues using the Crankaroo. She bagged two with it this year including her biggest archery buck. When we go out together, I cock the bow before she climbs the tree and she just uses it to recock. When she goes out alone she just waits until she is in the stand to cock it.

For a 10 year old, getting a bow that fits is one of the most important things. My son bagged two doe with my ExoMax in the same hunt when he was 11 years old. I had him sitting with me and the stand had a rail around it to help steady the shot. If he had to shoot freehand, an ExoMax may have been a bit much.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Merry Christmas!

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Rather-B-Huntin

Post by Rather-B-Huntin »

I gave my son a Matrix Grizzly when he was 12. He harvested his first buck within 24 hours of shooting it for the first time. The synthetic main frame makes the weight manageable for a younger shooter, and balance of the bow when cocked is good.
I have two BNIB available currently for $549.99 TYD in the CONTUS if you're interested.
THE HUNTER'S ZONE
Best Deals on Excalibur Crossbows and Accessories in the Eastern USA!!! Check us out on Facebook!
Trentco1

Post by Trentco1 »

If you can hold off for a bit a little bird told me something new might be coming out for 2017 that's a little more kid friendly!
Micro 355
Hawke xb30 pro scope T&T Triger boo force 10 string Zombie slayers 16.5 arrows c/w right helical blazer vanes aluminum nocks or lumenoks
Micro 315
Tact zone scope force 10 string 16" inch executioner arrows aluminum nocks or lumenoks
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Matrix cub/grizzly or a vixen ll :D
Good luck and keep us posted. :)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
ralph 72

Post by ralph 72 »

My 9 year old received a matrix cub for his birthday in July, we put a Tact Zone scope on it, and the R.E.D.S on, and a Trigger Tech Trigger on, and it is a little tack driver clear out to 60 yards.The only other things i would get is, Air Brakes, and custom arrows that are shorter, because with a 125 grain Grimm Reaper X-Bow Broad head the tip is over the stirrup by a 1/2" . These broad heads work very well with the Matrix Cub they come with a practice head, and we did not have to move the scope for these heads, flies the same as field points. On November 5 he harvested a 4 point buck at 22 yards, with a complete pass through shot, we watched the deer pile up at 40 yards away. Hope this helps.