asking for rage crossbow head advice pls

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Deaf jeff

asking for rage crossbow head advice pls

Post by Deaf jeff »

hello all,
i am trying to help out my nephew with this thread. he uses a m380 with these heads and has missed twice this year and both were 25 yards. he is a good shot and this is the first year he has had this issue. what are some possible ideas of what to look for that might be causing his issues? his field point shooting is spot on
thanks
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Arrowflinger

Re: asking for rage crossbow head advice pls

Post by Arrowflinger »

I think I could hit a deer with a rock from 25 yds ( especially with two tries) . Maybe he needs to sight in bow with broadheads he's using instead of field points. :?:
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Arrowflinger wrote:I think I could hit a deer with a rock from 25 yds ( especially with two tries) . Maybe he needs to sight in bow with broadheads he's using instead of field points. :?:
rage practice head was used for sighting
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
REVX
matrix 355
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Have him shoot one through some paper to see if they are opening pre maturely.
Even though they are crossbow rated I would start there.
I'm not a big fan of rage heads. :?
If he can't get it right try the NAP spitfires with a dental band for insurance. Dead deer walking in front of my 350 with these. :)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Buck fever? I've never used the rage or the practice heads that come with it. I've so far only tried Slick tricks and Boltcutters and neither flew like field points so I I sighted in for broadheads I'm using . Slick Tricks came with a " practice head " but didn't have same poi as the real deal. After that experimentation I will only hunt with the same arrow ,with the same broadhead that I sight bow in with. That routine actually ended up with me killing my first deer with my first ever shot at a deer this season .50 years old and first season .And yes I mention buck fever and accuracy issues because as I was scoping on the deer I wondered how he was not gonna hear me breathing so hard and my heart was about to pop out of my chest. Wow what a rush :!: :!:
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Make sure the black collar is seated with closed end on the blade bottom. Then I would put a dental band on it for insurance. If that doesn't work I'd switch to fixed blade slick tricks.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline

Post by newbie »

My money is on they are opening in flight. Paper test will prove if this is the issue.

I personally never trust a practice head, mine go straight to the trash now.
You need to sacrifice a head for practice or sight in. The animal deserves that.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

newbie wrote:My money is on they are opening in flight.
I agree. I've shot Rage 3-blade and 2-blade heads before they came out with the crossbow versions. I'm not sure there is a difference between the regular and crossbow versions. The biggest issue you can have with them is the blades not being fully engaged on the o-ring that is supposed to secure them. It is really easy to bump one of the blades out of place which will cause it to deploy on the shot. You have to check the heads when you pull them out of the quiver each time. Spitfire heads have this same situation.

Also, how old are the heads? Depending on where they are stored, I've had the rubber bands become brittle on heads that were only a year old. Its a real drag to watch your arrow take a nose dive into the dirt from an old band breaking when launched. Now I swap out the rubber bands at the beginning of each season. I no longer shoot Rage heads because they aren't durable enough to me to justify the higher cost. For the deer I shot with them though, they performed very well.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I missed a nice 8 pt a few yrs back as the Rage flew over his back. The blades open in flite big time, that was the chance i ever gave then. They were thrown in the metal pile fer recycle
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
carperdoug

Post by carperdoug »

I'm not a fan of rage at all. There are far better heads on the market. Many of the forum folks use the NAP Spitfire with success. I am now using Wasp Jak-X broad heads and have experienced no problems shooting my Matrix 355. Double banded as recommended by Wasp for crossbows. They open on impact, great penetration, very durable and sharp.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Arrowflinger wrote:I think I could hit a deer with a rock from 25 yds ( especially with two tries) . Maybe he needs to sight in bow with broadheads he's using instead of field points. :?:
rage practice head was used for sighting
i was incorrect with the the above post and he does use the actual broad head(a used one) to site in with
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
REVX
matrix 355
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Sloppy Does

Post by Sloppy Does »

Does it have an orange collar or black? The black ones definitely can open in flight because it happened to me. I have never shot the crossbow version with the orange collar.
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Riflemanz wrote:Make sure the black collar is seated with closed end on the blade bottom. Then I would put a dental band on it for insurance. If that doesn't work I'd switch to fixed blade slick tricks.
I tried to use them but even with dental bands they would still open occasionally. Nothing like a gash on your stirrup to open ones eyes !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

I despise rage broadheads. Have had them fail and that is not acceptable to me. I now shoot the gravedigger broadheads and QAD exodus swept blades. Love both these broadheads and they fly great. If you are worried its the broadhead it probably is because its a rage and you have every right to be concerned, in my opinion.
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

vixenmaster wrote:I missed a nice 8 pt a few yrs back as the Rage flew over his back. The blades open in flite big time, that was the chance i ever gave then. They were thrown in the metal pile fer recycle
Mike i had Spitfire hunting point that had worn retainers to hold blades and 1 came open in flight in yard boy did it fly low on target at 8 inchs down 5 to left I saw it go wild in scope so blade opening can send arrow off for sure...

i never had spitfire open with retainer clips not worn or loose..