Man Was I Spoiled!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

drkeenan

Man Was I Spoiled!!

Post by drkeenan »

Man was I spoiled. My first season deer hunting was in 2009 at the age of 44. In my first 7 seasons, much do to the help of rock star hunting mentors, I harvested 23 deer, 4 coyotes, and 3 turkeys (could have had more turkeys but I prefer eating Butterball :D :D ) . In addition, the majority of my hunting spots are within 5 minutes of my home so I could be very spontaneous with my hunting days, or just sit for an hour or two before retuning to my nice warm home. Did I mention how spoiled I was?

I am not sure if I have angered the hunting God's or if Karma has gotten wind of how spoiled I have been but things have turned in 2016. I lost access to 2 of my honey holes, and the others are not producing. I've been in the woods a total of 42 times since 9/15 and have yet to even see a deer. Not 1!! Nada!!! Zilch!!! Don't get me wrong, I love being in a tree prior to sunrise to see the day begin in the woods (truly a blessing to experience!) but as of last night my freezer is COMPLETELY empty and I already feel the venison withdrawal coming on! Did I mention how spoiled I was?

As of today I have 8 weeks left in my Rhode Island season. I will continue to press on in my existing private spots and I plan to hunt some public land after all the gun season's are behind us. I now realize that that's why they call it hunting and not shopping but man am I frustrated. Did I mention how spoiled I was?

Merry Christmas to all!!

John
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
agingcrossbower

Re: Man Was I Spoiled!!

Post by agingcrossbower »

Things seem to even themselves up. Sorry to hear of your dry spell. I wish you luck in filling your freezer. :D
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

In 2012 a friend and I found a real Honey Hole. Got many Game Camera pics of some real brutes. It was a small strip of Public Land along the river. Had the river on one side and a big slough on the other. One end of the slough was open to the river and the back end had an old earthen dam. This peninsula was covered with scrapes and rubs!! The deer were using it as a hidden away breeding ground.

Beginning in 2013 the deer disappeared. Unusual to even see a doe anymore. Haven't seen a buck there since 2012. It was very disappointing. No idea why they left the area.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Deer get wise to what is going on sometimes. Every time you shoot one, a few others see what happens and avoid that area in the future. At least for a time. If these are small spots, maybe the "lead" ones that are left have been conditioned to use other routes.

Another possibility is that something else in the landscape a mile away changed the travel patterns of the deer. Or your spots don't hold the food they want right now. Hard to say.

Sorry for your dry spell, but just try to persevere....then when you do connect you will be all the more grateful and hooked even more on bow hunting. :)
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, as Keith said there are so many variables to consider when it comes to deer behavior. Over the years I have seen places produce good numbers for several seasons just dry up. I does not take a whole lot of influence to change their patterns, or push them from certain areas altogether. When it becomes too easy, I'll quit! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

john I live in rhode island . going through the same hunting times. hunted block island 8 years back stacked them like cord wood. had a privet spot on the main land that was like
the hunting shows on tv. 1999 arrowed a 146 3/8s that was fighting with another buck 2 days into the week break from muzzle loader to shot gun. had 5-6 deer hanging often (island). to me when ri went to the honor system with tags things went down hill they all were not tagged by some. deer in ri are not like they used to be numbers are down. block island deer have been wiped out by a company called white buffalo and a bounty locals only on deer numbers are down to 74 there. I see deer when I hunt but I let the does go even on puplic land . there are some nice big bucks around. good hunting spots in ri get a lot of
trespassers.we still have December and January we are lucky here and I will be
out there looking for a buck off a life time (sometimes I think I have it all ready )
p.s
this year no acorns from drought and gypsy moths trees lost leaves in july looked like winter in spots. pick up an acorn you see on the ground open it up its rotted from last years crop . look at the tree trucks in your deer woods if you see tan egg mass its gypsy moth eggs they will be back next year unless we get a wet spring which will cause bacteria that will kill them. guys with big fields plant food plots now and that keeps deer on land you cant hunt.the list goes on here in ri.
Last edited by otisbrazwell on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I know the feeling. I have hunted the same land for over 10 years now and the deer population has dropped dramatically. (EHD killed a bunch, and the does were hit hard)
Actually more bucks than does now, and that leads me to hunt for horns, not meat. Problem is, I've let several little bucks have a pass waiting on a couple big ones that may be up to the challenge of avoiding me. :lol:
I may have to expand my territory next season, but it's too late to scout & hunt a new place this year. :(
wabi
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

otisbrazwell wrote:john I live in rhode island . going through the same hunting times. hunted block island 8 years back stacked them like cord wood. had a privet spot on the main land that was like
the hunting shows on tv. 1999 arrowed a 146 3/8s that was fighting with another buck 2 days into the week break from muzzle loader to shot gun. had 5-6 deer hanging often (island). to me when ri went to the honor system with tags things went down hill they all were not tagged by some. deer in ri are not like they used to be numbers are down. block island deer have been wiped out by a company called white buffalo and a bounty locals only on deer numbers are down to 74 there. I see deer when I hunt but I let the does go even on puplic land . there are some nice big bucks around. good hunting spots in ri get a lot of
trespassers.we still have December and January we are lucky here and I will be
out there looking for a buck off a life time (sometimes I think I have it all ready )
p.s
this year no acorns from drought and gypsy moths trees lost leaves in july looked like winter in spots. pick up an acorn you see on the ground open it up its rotted from last years crop . look at the tree trucks in your deer woods if you see tan egg mass its gypsy moth eggs they will be back next year unless we get a wet spring which will cause bacteria that will kill them. guys with big fields plant food plots now and that keeps deer on land you cant hunt.the list goes on here in ri.
My buddies still go to block for a couple of days with good success. And a weekend on Prudence is typically the highlight of my season although we aren't going this year. I think I'm going to talk to my land owner about planting a food plot in the spring
Stock String
Tact Zone Scope
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

john do you live near narrow lane ?
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

otisbrazwell wrote:john do you live near narrow lane ?
Too funny. I'm on the corner of South and Narrow
Stock String
Tact Zone Scope
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

I think we talked when I had my xomax forsale. that whole piece from all the way to conservancy is messed up this year what I saw with the rut it was short like 1 week right before muzzleloader. no deer crossing stone lane after dark on the way home. m flood mite have big food plots :idea:
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Here in pa in central region which used to be deer now is being reduced to seeing just few.I have seen 4 doe in 6 days of hard hunting NO BUCKS..

I USED TO SEE 25 TO 30 DEER PER DAY ..The PGC issued all kinds of doe tags ,they allowed kids to 3 years old to hunt and dads fill another tag this way ..Hunters do not care if 1 doe is left in area for next year they shoot all fawns and mother...They shoot spike bucks and put kids tags on it they may have 3 kids tags per adult ,you never see kids in woods but hear 4 year old got 10 point with her WEE O 8,Dont laugh that is what girl said in school she used ..

ITS END OF DEER HUNTING AS WE HAVE KNOWN IT IN PA..

Privateland is where all deer are that you see in pics ..

DCNR does not want deer as they eat small trees and flowers in woods ..Coyotes were introduced here and now you see very few fawns...

ITS END TO DEER HUNTING IN CENTRAL PA sure there will be a few deer here and there in your area but get used to seeing a few doe and maybe Buck or 2 for entire hunting season with hunters all around you disgusted they are not seeing deer.

Oh yes PGC backers will say SPROUL YOU ARE NOT HUNTING WAYBACK... :evil:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Ive only killed a doe so far .l held out trying to compete with my friends big bucks. I have a reputation to keep. .......this year ive seen some monsters but it never happens ....this year l mite be no buck joe. ....hang in there l am.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

sproulman wrote:Here in pa in central region which used to be deer now is being reduced to seeing just few.I have seen 4 doe in 6 days of hard hunting NO BUCKS..

I USED TO SEE 25 TO 30 DEER PER DAY ..The PGC issued all kinds of doe tags ,they allowed kids to 3 years old to hunt and dads fill another tag this way ..Hunters do not care if 1 doe is left in area for next year they shoot all fawns and mother...They shoot spike bucks and put kids tags on it they may have 3 kids tags per adult ,you never see kids in woods but hear 4 year old got 10 point with her WEE O 8,Dont laugh that is what girl said in school she used ..

DCNR does not want deer as they eat small trees and flowers in woods ..Coyotes were introduced here and now you see very few fawns...

ITS END TO DEER HUNTING IN CENTRAL PA sure there will be a few deer here and there in your area but get used to seeing a few doe and maybe Buck or 2 for entire hunting season with hunters all around you disgusted they are not seeing deer.

that's about it in rhode island spoul times have changed
rein1

Post by rein1 »

sproulman wrote:Here in pa in central region which used to be deer now is being reduced to seeing just few.I have seen 4 doe in 6 days of hard hunting NO BUCKS..

I hear ya,, it's the same here in Michigan ,,Way to many doe tags being filled, I'm glad to have hunted the good yrs