Fletch glue?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Predator55

Fletch glue?

Post by Predator55 »

Guys, I used gorilla glue, blue cap,and all my vanes fell off in the cold. Using blazer vanes and 2219 aluminium shafts. What glue holds in cold? thanks.
Boo

Re: Fletch glue?

Post by Boo »

It's more about prep. For aluminum shafts, try powered Ajax or some kind of powdered cleanser. Scrub with lots on a rag and hot water, rinse in hotter water and leave till absolutely dry. Don't touch the shafts and you should be good to go.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I use the color change Krazy Glue and haven't had any issues. It goes on purple, but dries clear. I use it for my fletching and inserts.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

You also need to prep your vanes. With the vanes in your jig, clean the base with acetone on paper towel using a clean section with each swipe on the base. Better yet, Flex Fletch makes a product called Zing Primer which comes with a small brush attached to the inside of the cap. Simply give each vane base a swipe and allow to dry. If your vanes and and shafts aren't prepped properly the best glue will not maintain a bond.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

Ok, so gorilla glue is ok to use? Just need to prep better.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I use the blue top Gorilla glue.
Look at the base of the vane and on the shafts where the glue came off. Where there is no glue is where you need to prep better.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Boo wrote:I use the blue top Gorilla glue.
Look at the base of the vane and on the shafts where the glue came off. Where there is no glue is where you need to prep better.

....great minds think alike :shock: :lol: Blue Top Go Rilla glue for me...except you must use the one from the USA because TRUMP said so! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

amythntr wrote:
Boo wrote:I use the blue top Gorilla glue.

....great minds think alike :shock: :lol: Blue Top Go Rilla glue for me...except you must use the one from the USA because TRUMP said so! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :)
Yep, you guys can't get the good stuff over the wall :mrgreen:
farm3rbrian

Post by farm3rbrian »

Thanks again to Boo for sharing his wealth of wisdom and techniques for successful arrow building. I use only aluminum shafts to build arrows and was having the same issues. I became obsessed with cleaning and a sterile work area with limited success. Thanks to Boo I can now focus on "proper" cleaning. Hopefully this solves my problems.
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for tomorrow I may have to eat them. (My Mother)
Normous

Post by Normous »

Another tip I can offer is to lightly scuff, clean and prep your Blazer vanes especially if they are older than one year.

My tip #2, is to toss any OPENED Gorilla Blue Top older than 9 months since I have noticed adhesion qualities starting to decline after that.

Tip#3, keep opened glue in the fridge.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family