video taping hunts..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowrook

video taping hunts..

Post by xbowrook »

okay guys and gals, need some input / help.. i have my son, 13, hunting with us as he has his apprenticeship license.. i want to start filming our hunts together and not sure how to get started.. don't have a lot of money to spend on equipment and wondered if anyone out there video's hunts and what you use? i saw someone used just a regular digital camera, i know some use little compact camcorders... i see a lot of action cameras but my concern with those is the limited or total lack of zoom capabilities... any help would be appreciated.. thanks...
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
paulaboutform

Re: video taping hunts..

Post by paulaboutform »

I recommend just a basic little digital camcorder. They're very small and easy to use. The biggest thing I would suggest is to avoid zooming in and out. When you try watching that it'll give you a headache. Rather, get the frame size you like and stick with it. When a deer comes in you can zoom the shot slightly and hold it there. The best thing to do is play with it a lot and become familiarized with it. Video your son shooting targets as if it was a deer then watch your recordings to see what you like best.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

what ever you buy make sure it has auto focus and a good mic or a port to plug in one you should also find a stand for it most camera stands will work that is to keep your frames from bouncing around .
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I use both camcorder and small point & shoot .
Paul is right about the zooming in and out . If you do zoom in or out . Cut each segment . Less strain for the eyes of the people watching .
The auto-focus sounds great until you are hunting in brushy stuff . It will focus on the closest branches not on the subject behind it . That is where the camcorder shines . You can put it on manual focus .
As Paul also said practice on not important stuff first . The art of editing can be a little daunting . But once you figure out some of it , it is fun then . ie slow motion
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

The Gopro style cameras are best suited for capturing you, your son, the equipment, and most importantly,. Emotion :!: :mrgreen:

As a father, I can safely say that the footage of highest value to you, will be of you and your son....So that being said, a GoPro (etc.) should be mounted to his/your bow/stand that captures you guys.

A small camcorder will do quite well for home and deer camp viewing.

I have a little Panasonic HD HC-V520..with a great picture and zoom.

I am a complete amateur at filming...so editing is a real Pain for me...lol

I put this video together just trying to practice editing (and kill a coyote)....It is my first time mixing the GoPro with the camcorder. And I can see that vids with multiple points of view are more interesting.

It's just 5 minutes, and shows some great Montana mountains...I hope you all like it. Sorry Paul, there is some zooming :lol:

https://youtu.be/iEM4CvYEjFE
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I shot my Bobcat video with a 2 year old Canon Vixa HF R40.
http://excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/vie ... =1&t=64778

When you touch the subject on the LCD screen the camera will follow it and keep it in focus. As with all the hand held video cameras the video is grainy in low light.

I use a light tripod if in my Ground Blind and a Tree Stand camera arm when in a tree stand. There are many Tree Stand camera arms to choose from so shop around.

This Field Archer on Facebook has many videos up that he has shot.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Field-Arch ... ED&fref=nf

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

I use the Canon vixia 500, works great!!! Got it on eBay used for 150. :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

so a little update... i did a lot of looking and everytime i had interest in a camera i would do research on it.. really hard when you are trying to find a really good camera on a budget.. but, i did finally find one and opted to go with a small digital camcorder.. purchased a JVC GZ-MS120AU... nice, compact little camera.. has dual sd card slots which allows up to 64 gb of storage... good battery life with the option of purchasing a larger battery with longer life ( 9 hours of filming).. has a very nice responsive touch screen, really good zoom capabilities and a manual focus option which is great for filming game through brush and obstructions.. i am totally new to filming so this will take some time to get used to , dad and i are heading out in the morning for another deer hunt, will have this guy with me and do some filming... will check the audio and video quality when i get home and see how it films in the bush/stand...
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Look forward to anything you do .
The TV shows make it look too easy . :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

The shows are filmed by Pros who have been in the industry for a while . There are courses you can take to learn to film . One that came about is called online outdoor filming school the cost is $149.00 for 30 day online course . They show you everything you need to film .
elknut

Post by elknut »

Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
Matrix 330