Width??? Has it been a problem?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

coop

Width??? Has it been a problem?

Post by coop »

So there are many new narrow bows coming out with very narrow string angles.
This will be very hard on serving and no way to cock by hand for sure and many post are questioning the accuracy of these super narrow bows.

So my question is, has your bows width ever been a serious problem that kept you from getting a shot?

I have had a Vortex and Matrix and have never had the width keep me from having a shot. But I know they are wide and plan accordingly. I've shot from many tree stands and many blinds and never had an issue. But people seem to think they have to have a narrow bow. I think these narrow bows are going to create a whole new set of problems that's worst than being a little wide! Your thoughts?
M405+Swhacker=Awesome
Phillyarcher

Re: Width??? Has it been a problem?

Post by Phillyarcher »

I also have had a Vortex and we're able to shoot Deer out of a tree and a Bear also. I do like the Micro I have and it does give you a bit more freedom in taking shots. I do twist my body around the tree and having a smaller xbow does help. It also is better in a blind too. I'm happy with both of my Excals.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

I have never had an issue with width. I used to own a Vortex and killed deer with it with no issues. I did however sell it to buy my 355. I now prefer the width of the Matrix style crossbow to the older style wider limb models.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I have a Matrix and a Micro and have no problem with them at all . I have also polished the triggers and that helps . I can see what you are talking about some of the bows today are only 6" wide . only time will tell how that is going to work out. your serving must be tight or you will have a problem no matter what you do.
W.M.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I too have a Vortex and Gen 1 Micro. Never had a problem with my Vortex and took many deer with it from the ground, or a tree, ladder or climber. Then I got my Micro and hunted with that. Then went back to the Vortex........holy cow did that seem HUGE! I just prefer the Micro size all around. And I feel the shorter, stiffer arrows perform better on the animal. Ballistically they are very similar but I think my Micro hits much harder. And with polished latches...AND.. a second serving, my servings are lasting just fine on the Micro. The second serving always goes on much tighter than the first.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
coop

Post by coop »

The new Micro's are indeed very nice and still wide enough to not cause many problems. I'm talking more about the new compounds coming out with 10" or less axle to axle.
M405+Swhacker=Awesome
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Ahhh. Gotcha. I won't be able to help there. No interest in a wheeled bow. Been there done that.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have had most of the Excals line of models thru the yrs. The onlt time i have been cramped fer spacre is inside those small blinds wid the wide limbed models. Thats where the Micro shines in a ground blind.

Some of the Compounds have gotten very narrow, some are havein to be double center served to hold up
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Minnow

Post by Minnow »

I was thinking exactly what you are when looking at that new raven xbow, looks impressive but also looks like it would be loaded with problems because of the extreme string angle
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

The wider models were never an issue. But when the Matrix and Micro came out I convinced myself to upgrade because they were narrow and I needed that...lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
galamb

Post by galamb »

Since I sell "hunting stuff" I do handle a bunch of brands/models (and get to mess around with them everyday if I want - I love my job) :)

Anyhow, I shoot a Vix II and my hunting buddy has an Axiom. We stand hunt but walk in through dense bush - and he tends to wander around. We both have noted and commented that the bows are "gangly" and do often hang up on branches etc no matter how you tend to carry them - but once in the stand having less "wingspan" wouldn't equate to any great benefit.

I did compare the standard width against the Matrix line - just not significant enough to warrant an "upgrade" if that's the only reason.

The Micro's are "narrow" for a recurve style, but as noted they are still "wide" compared to some of the compound offerings out there.

There is however a downside with most of the compounds (aside from the more moving parts, need of a bow press etc) - but just from a mobility point of view - they are just plain heavy - often 2'ish pounds heavier than a Micro and if you compare the reverse limb models, that's three extra pounds.

So trade off's with any choice. If needing a narrow wingspan is your over riding "need" I was looking at some 2017 models from Bear at a buyers show that were only 11" (cocked) - but they were heavy and front heavy when shouldered - really depends what you need.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Eck

Post by Eck »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:The wider models were never an issue. But when the Matrix and Micro came out I convinced myself to upgrade because they were narrow and I needed that...lol
Me too!

I went from an ExoMag to a Micro, and wow what a difference. I've added a couple of Matrix bows to the collection, and think I'll stay put with those.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

width has never bothered me, but I upgraded to a matrix to get the fps increase. Never felt a need to buy a micro...other than the fact they are cool
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I moved from an ExoMax to a Micro. On one occasion the ExoMax width bit me in the butt when I misjudged just how wide the limbs would deploy. Fortunately I only damaged my pride and the doe got to live an extra half hour.

The only time the width is a problem is when I walk through the house. I have to turn sideways when passing through doorways with an ExoMax. :lol: It may be wide, but its tried and true and harvested a couple more deer this season.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

In a tree stand, no issues with my Exocet200, in my Dog House blind it was ok, but a slimmer bow would definitely been better. Having never carried the newer models, I would think you would get hung up less on branches while going through thick bush. But with all the stories of broken limbs, I won't be selling my 200 anytime soon.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone