Width??? Has it been a problem?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

retrieverman

Re: Width??? Has it been a problem?

Post by retrieverman »

My first crossbow was a Exomax, and it was never really a problem in a tree stand. I bought a M380 and really liked the "narrowness" in contrast to the Exomax, but after I got a Micro, I can't ever see myself going back to a "wide" bow.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Have a Micro, and its really nice, but have a Vortex as well and there are no flies on that one either. The older Exo series bows LOOK wide. They carry into your house wide. They load into your truck wide....But they don't HUNT wide. Never had one problem with the width hunting.
cumberlandxbow

Post by cumberlandxbow »

The width of my old Axiom hurt my chances on a nice 10 point last year. He came in on a steady walk to 7 yards and stopped to check a scrape offering a perfect shot. He was too close to use the shooting rail. I had to try to maneuver my bow to shoot under the rail and couldnt do it due to the width. He walked away without offering another good shot. Never saw him again. My daughter was with me. On the way home she said, "You know if you had a micro you would have killed that deer." Wise words from a 10 year old...her first hand testimony lead to me getting a new micro 335 last Christmas. Killed 2 deer this year with it and love the narrow width in the treestand and blind.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

flightattendant100 wrote:Have a Micro, and its really nice, but have a Vortex as well and there are no flies on that one either. The older Exo series bows LOOK wide. They carry into your house wide. They load into your truck wide....But they don't HUNT wide. Never had one problem with the width hunting.
That about sums it up nicely! I still own and hunt with a Vortex and have a Phoenix for wifey and the daughters to use. I've never had a problem with the width but it is something you need to be aware of when hunting/shooting. I can see where the narrower Excals could be handy in the tight stuff and easier to carry in the field. Not sure what I think of the super narrow compounds available right now...think I'll just stick with my trusty old Excals. :wink:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I agree with many others who posted here!

You get used to the geometry of the wide xbows. It's a non issue in most situations.

I find I'm more accurate with the wider limbed xbows. Maybe the width of the limbs make me more aware of canting? Maybe it's muscle memory/familiarity? Maybe its because those limbs act as big ol' stabilizers on each side of the bow when I shoulder it?

I held the Surpressor recently... it felt strange to me. Not a gun and not a bow. I'm sure it targets a certain market but I'm going to keep on "rocking it old school." :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

My Exomax works well in my Ameristep Doghouse blind understanding that there are limitations on some shots. It's a crossbow and not a rifle so I have worked around it. I've never had a problem in my climbing tree stand yet. I'm used to it now so it's a non-issue for me.

I also like the dependability. It's been knocked around some but still hold the POI with no problem.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Had all 3 Exo, Matrix, Micro,,,, never a problem and target accuracy was capable with em all. I'm the typr of shooter that uses a bench or rest for one thing! Setting up and finding what shoots best a particular bow,, after that it's offhand all the way!

Don't get me wrong sometimes if I have an opertunity in the field to use an aid I will. But most shots come at less than ideal situations, and when I shoot out to 40 yards I want to be able to take that shot off hand when needed.

Saying this yes I have to say I favor the Matrix for hunting,, but the Micro I had I could shoot better offhand than any crossbow I have owned, recurve or compound!

I am going to after season get a Suppressor, when I do it is getting stripped, any weight it don't need to shoot an arrow is gone! I will dress it my way, install a reflex 1.2 oz Red Dot, and I will be setting it up with 450+ grain arrows for one thing, inside 35 yards hunting in thickest thickets I can find,, when you see em,, 3 4 steps max and there gone again, you gotta be ready and getting a rest ain't possible,, this is where compact is needed for me. I have missed opportunities because a limb tip or stirrup bumped brush and they are gone in a blink of the eye.

But make no mistake,, I have no intention of emptying a hook to hang the new Suppressor! I'll simply add another!! :wink:

Hell I can justify having more if need be, but hard to find a reason to part with any,,,, :mrgreen:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

No matter what you shoot you will find that there are times that you cannot get the rifle/shotgun/bow into shooting position or find that they hang up in the bush. I just hunt accordingly you can never eliminate it unless you are standing in the middle of a field.

I set up with the weapon I am using in mind and leave extra room in my blinds when I make them so I have handling room and when walking I generally sling the CB and twist my upper body sideways to get through brush. I do find it a hassle walking more than sitting, but if hunting were easy it would take a lot of the fun out of it. I have had rifles hang up preventing a shot while stalking and expect it will be a bit worse with the CB.

Strangely since I have had pile of folks hunting my little patch of bush and walking regularly with in 50 feet of me I have not seen a deer. Three years in a row now and their excuse is I can hunt anywhere I want as it is perfectly legal. Almost makes me want to get a ultrasonic noise generator and hide it in that bush. They are pushing the bush so all the deer move out. they do this with several areas near by ruining it for the hunters that have hunted those spots for years. I cannot compete with a gang of hunters and the rest of my gang have been MIA most of the time for the last two years. I will probably have to find a new spot or just give up. this years hunting season generally was about as fun as having a tooth extracted.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Cadmaster you need to hunt where they won't on public! I have for years and when I hear those complain wonder why they continue to hunt where the idiots do. I go deeper and hut the thickest nastiest stuff you have to crawl though,, then let the idiots be my dogs and run em to me.

Trust me if deer are there, they will be where hunters aren't. Learn that, hunt it when the wind is right, and stay the hell out when it's not right, and life is golden!! I do it every year.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
coop

Post by coop »

Thanks for the reply's. Seems most like myself really haven't had a issue with width. Weight and length are more important to me.
M405+Swhacker=Awesome
figam

Post by figam »

Sure has. Shooting houses we use in Ill. have less than 36" windows. Due to their height (22') it is extremely hard to shoot from them. Have broken window with limb on shot before. Find it hard to shoot from 1 man popup due to limb width. Finally, awkward to get in and out of 1 man tree stands due to limb width. Welcome the matrix series, just bought a matrix 355. Know its not the narrowest but it felt the best. Love my exocet 200 even with the wide limbs. Its extremely accurate and deadly--made five shots this year, 5 kills--17, 45, 51, 58, and a 154" buck at 56yds. Love the product!!!
Steve Gardner