what's you take on this

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

W.Miguire

what's you take on this

Post by W.Miguire »

Our gun seasons are all done here in Wisc. I had only antlerless tags left so I went out last eve and shot a big doe ,(I thought) and it turn out to be a big buck that it had just shed his antlers . we could not believe I he had just scabbed over and also saw a half rack . after we skinned him we found a old wound ,I would say maybe 3 or 4 years old .the shoulder was not right and a rib was busted and healed over . this puzzles us because it is Dec. 12 we see horns some time long into April. I am not complaining it was a bonus all the extra meat. think it over and let me know your thoughts on the matter. :?:
thanks,
W.M.
vixenmaster

Re: what's you take on this

Post by vixenmaster »

That happens alot, deer here jus now started to scrape
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

W.M. over my 40 plus years hunting whitetails I have experienced that early horn drop several times, seemed to always coincide with a wet fall followed by hard cold . I had a season back in Pa. when I got skunked during rifle season in fact the 12 guys in our camp hunted hard the first week of rifle and we never scored on a buck then on the following doe hunt we shot 2 bucks without any head gear
pretty weird :? still not sure what really causes it because just like you I have seen bucks in April still wearing the bones
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
rayman

Post by rayman »

After first two sentences thought you were going to say you got a ticket. :)

Doesn't seem like an old injury that was healed would cause antlers to shed early unless there was an infection or something.

Possible they broke off while fighting?
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i shot a deer once on dec3 both antlers were gone ,it was very cold and 3feet of snow not sure that was the reason for an early drop i would say he was a 3/12
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

it was 14 above and a fresh snow about 8" and another buck that came out was a half rack. the one I shot had no odor in his torsole gland so i'm guessing he was over the rut or he was to old to mate. just don't know.
W.M.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Some years back, I shot a legal spike buck. The antlers fell off before I got it loaded on my car. :( I did find the antlers, and registered it as a buck with antlers in hand. :D That was during our regular gun season late November.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Sometimes it just is what it is. Here in B.C. there's no buck/doe or bull/cow licenses, they are sold as antlered or antlerless. Congrats on your big, tasty antlerless Bill! :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.