Time to get back after it!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wildcatter

Time to get back after it!

Post by wildcatter »

Well we are finally getting real hunting weather here in Ohio! I had snow the last day of deer season, and then again 4 days after I sold my hunting truck,,, :(

Bummer is I had a guy offer me 1000 bucks more than I paid for it 3 years ago,, I told him I would but he had to wait till gun season was over, I needed it every day. so 6 days later we arranged for him to get it and take care of everything Tuesday but I had to get my deer cut up first from gun season,,,, ya I know but the Encore hand canon in 460 has to eat too,,,,,, :wink:

Well that was a mistake,, I got 7" of snow, temps in the teens to -0 2 days later,,, what me and the Lynx have waited on the past 4 years. I love this weather, but I'm screwed,,,,,, till next week, after a full week looking at something to replace the Sonoma I found a Ranger that will get me by, and can get my money back out of it after season. But right now the HHR just ain't gonna work for hunting, and I needed to settle for reliable clean transportation. This spring I'll sell it and find the right Colorado or Ranger fer what will probably be my last set of hunting wheels!

But dang this is killing me, I have got till Feb. 1st to deer hunt, and am just hoping this weather will stay with us, it would be real nice if we keep the cold weather and stay white till then, I love this stuff, and it gets better knowing most don't si the bug timber on public land becomes even more precious when you have no one else around,, Wed. I should be back at it,, if all goes as planned!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
papabear1

Re: Time to get back after it!

Post by papabear1 »

Good luck Wildcatter, here in Missouri we still have till jan.15 th.
bitter cold here next two days, 2 above tonight and 11 below wind chill,
a little too cold for this old man, but back in the 30,s 40,s next week so I will be back after it, got 2 does and want 1 more to finish filling the freezer.

Dave :wink:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

Feb 1st wow that's a long season you Ohio boys sure are lucky
SEW

Post by SEW »

Arkansas bow/Xbow season: 24 Sept thru Feb 28. Crossbows legal since before 1983.

Deer
Zones: 5
Opens:
Limits:
2016-17 Deer Season Dates
Archery: Sept. 24-Feb. 28
Muzzleloader: Closed
Private Land Antlerless Only Modern Gun Deer Hunt: Oct. 29-Nov. 2
Special youth Modern Gun Deer Hunt: Nov. 5-6 and Jan. 7-8
Modern Gun: Nov. 12-13, Nov. 19-20 and Dec. 26-28

Statewide Bag Limit
Six deer, of which no more than two may be bucks. The statewide seasonal bag limit may be taken in any combination of zones or methods, as long as zone bag limits are not exceeded.

Zone Bag Limit
Three deer, which may include:
Two bucks with archery, muzzleloader or modern gun;
Three does with archery;
One doe with modern gun.
Last edited by SEW on Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Ta I hear ya papabear,,, it's get'n tougher every year, I get so stiff sett'n some mornings or evenings I am like pouring molasses in this weather,,, but I got good clod weather gear. Matter fact I spend a lot more on my cold weather gear than all my other gear combined!

But dang I love this chit, just please keep that 40's chit away till season end,, then I'm ready come March fer them spring thaws to pull them Walleye into the largest tributary to the great lakes,,, the annual Maumee River Walleye run,,, that's where I'll be daily at least by St. Patties day till May first,, just depends on the thaw when it starts,,,,,,

Then I'll start suffering them temps from hell, and planning fer next year,,,,,, with my new Suppressor, :wink: God willing?
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

SEW wrote:Arkansas bow/Xbow season: 24 Sept thru Feb 28. Crossbows legal since before 1983.

Deer
Opens:
Limits:

Statewide Bag Limit
Six deer, of which no more than two may be bucks. The statewide seasonal bag limit may be taken in any combination of zones or methods, as long as zone bag limits are not exceeded.

Zone Bag Limit
Three does with archery;
One doe with modern gun.
That's a longer season,, but Ohio holds as the world's longest crossbow inclusive legal season, we always knew archery was archery,, stocks and strings are,,,, well sticks and strings! I only wish we had them last 4 weeks to enjoy the finest weather of the year for hunting! Enjoy it Steve,, I'm Jealous,,,, but I never turn down an invite,,,,, :wink:

But I gotta say them Insurance companies are winning and I'm afraid the liberal limits will continue till deer numbers anemic! Every state is doing it and denying that's why, but I'm sure padded pockets and wanting very few deer is what is dictating liberal limits,, not conservation!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
SEW

Post by SEW »

What is "the longest Xbow inclusive season"?
rein1

Post by rein1 »

wildcatter wrote:
SEW wrote:Arkansas bow/Xbow season: 24 Sept thru Feb 28. Crossbows legal since before 1983.

Deer
Opens:
Limits:

Statewide Bag Limit

Zone Bag Limit
Three does with archery;
One doe with modern gun.
That's a longer season,, but Ohio holds as the world's longest crossbow inclusive legal season, we always knew archery was archery,, stocks and strings are,,,, well sticks and strings! I only wish we had them last 4 weeks to enjoy the finest weather of the year for hunting! Enjoy it Steve,, I'm Jealous,,,, but I never turn down an invite,,,,, :wink:

But I gotta say them Insurance companies are winning and I'm afraid the liberal limits will continue till deer numbers anemic! Every state is doing it and denying that's why, but I'm sure padded pockets and wanting very few deer is what is dictating liberal limits,, not conservation!
X2 on insurance companies
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

SEW wrote:What is "the longest Xbow inclusive season"?
Your season I said is longer, and the only one I know of longer than Ohio's, that is if it stays in during all other seasons. I can by my tag and hunt from the last saturday in Sept. till the 1st sunday in February, so yours beats that by 4 weeks.

But what I referred to as the longest running crossbow inclusive season, is I am referring to Ohio has never excluded crossbows from archery season,, we have always included all archery equipment in archery season,, which includes crossbows! I am only 62 and moved to Ohio when I was 25 or 26,, but my hunting buddy always used a crossbow.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
Czy_Horse

Post by Czy_Horse »

Yes its Lynx season here as well :). Average depth of snow was about 20 in. where I was yesterday, got to get new bindings for my snowshoes before heading out again.

Czy_Horse
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

czy horse, nice pic of snow & trees... oh, wait! there's a bow hanging there! :D
gr8 camo
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

I've basically been sick since thanksgiving and haven't hunted since 11/27. missed last weekend of gun season & loaded the smokepole with good intentions but haven't taken it to my blind yet. this is my first archery season and i've never had so many deer tags and i can't remember ever having had illness stop me from filling a tag in 45 years of gun hunting. what do you guys do with a chronic cough? i can't imagine being able to see a deer with all the hacking i've been doing.
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

I think wildcatters correct, Ohio legalized crossbows in 1978. Currently you can hunt every day from the last Saturday of September to the first Sunday in February with a crossbow in the Buckeye State. Jefrohio
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Czy_Horse wrote:Yes its Lynx season here as well :). Average depth of snow was about 20 in. where I was yesterday, got to get new bindings for my snowshoes before heading out again.

Czy_Horse
Love it CH,, nice picture and sweet bow!

They fill the purpose well!!

Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Goose52 wrote:I've basically been sick since thanksgiving and haven't hunted since 11/27. missed last weekend of gun season & loaded the smokepole with good intentions but haven't taken it to my blind yet. this is my first archery season and i've never had so many deer tags and i can't remember ever having had illness stop me from filling a tag in 45 years of gun hunting. what do you guys do with a chronic cough? i can't imagine being able to see a deer with all the hacking i've been doing.
They make a device for hunters that cough..you cough into it and it stops sound it was on tv last year and it works..