2016 moose Hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Farmer

2016 moose Hunt

Post by Farmer »

I am bow hunting with 7 other great guys all with their own talents , 2 archery techs , 2 great cooks , 1 scout , the fisherman ,and my buddy Super Dave and I are the scroungers ( if the camp needs it we find , build , or get it on sale to keep the hunt cost down )

We are there to hunt moose but Bear hunting is also on the schedule . This year we drew a bull tag . Last year we had one hunt that had 3 different bulls come to the call . Last year I had a beast at 25 yards but could not get a clear shot on it ...the memory still gets my heart pumping ...This year we had much anticipation of a us getting a Bull in this productive area.....Well things change ----many of the areas we were hunting were sprayed this summer , we had at least 5 new /different groups of bowhunters in the area ( we did help 1 group get a bull they wacked a bull on the way to our call -----had no idea they were set up along the lake behing us ) . The weather, about 4 days of heavy rain and wind along with most days being way too hot helped keep us from seeing many moose ! But bear hunting was better .

My group has 2 members that have never taken a bear . The past 3 years have been my mission to get them one . I found the spot for a bait last year , refined the spot a bit this year and it was very good . After delpying the Seceret Sauce ( u do not want to know === it gag , burp === yak , is not for those with a weak stomach ) it took all of about 2 days for the bear to find the bait . There we 5 different bear on the bait .

Hunter 1 was the 1st to sit on the bait . I went to pick him up after legal light . Are guys are to stay in the stand till pickup time ....i got to the stand a saw a zombie Slayer and luminock sticking in the ground ... Bob was a bit excited to say the least . He told me his story that it was BIG BEAR and it had came in about an hour before sun set . There was a lot of blood so off to camp for lights ( and to arm my self with and Axe ). The blood trail started out great but soon became sparse . Long story short , I tracked it for a few hours that night and lost the trail . We went back in the am and found the trail trail again and tracked it to a marsh where I lost the trail for good .....My thoughts are that he shot was very low and the arrow sliced the offside leg as well . I had found the arrow buried in the sand at too steep an angle for our stand set up ,a glancing shot

2 days later I sit in the same stand with Super Dave .......Well it was about about an hour or more before sunset and I detected some movement in the trees , Dave there is a bear coming in ....Lets just say when I saw the size of the think I started to shake ---it takes a bit to get me going ---it was a BIG BEAR -----Dave whispers is it 200 pounds -------me , gulp -----SHHHHHHHHHHH, be quiet ! I did not want to get him as wound up as I was .....Another Monster on this bait ---Daves 1st bear will be a Beast ....... Well Mr Bear knew something was up and paced the perimiter for 45 minutes and left ...Oh well it was quite the show Dave ...maybe tomorrow ......10 minutes go by and Bam I look to my left and the Big Hog is laying on the top of the sand hill watching us . He starts pacing again getting a bit bolder getting closer to the bait but running back to the trees 30 yards away. We are now at the end of legal light and he decides to come in and eat ...He gets a mouth full of dog food runs of crunch crunch crunch and come back in for another repeat . Dave says how we going to get out of here ? I reach into my pocket for a rock and remember I took them out $&!+ ...So I break a few branches in our tree , wrong ! Growling , woofing , teeth popping the full show . Well Dave I better stop I am just p---ing him off ----We sit and watch as he now lays down to put the feed bag on ------The I remember the bottle of water in my bag , I stand up and lob it doing my best to bean him , he gets up and runs a bit looking back. I break more branches and try to make an intimidating growl . The bear runs off , lets get out of here !!!

2 nights later Dave is in the stand again , I go to pick him up he lower his bow case and I feel an arrow missing . U shoot , yep , good shot ? I think so ....He tells the story, I look but can not find the arrow ( no luminok this time ) my flash light is dying and I can find no blood . Lets leave it .....Dave said it blew out twice and a small moan ... I was pretty sure it was dead.

Up early and off to the bait . I find the arrow 9 yards from the barrel with about 8 inches sticking out of the sand ... Whoa look at the blood trail here , climb the hill and the see no blood ----dam not again . I am looking close to the ground for sign nothing and it starting to rain poop, three more steps I look up and to the right there he is !!!! 30 yards !!! Dave you have a beauty !!!

I was able to get a line on it and drag it out with my commander . It then took 4 of us old guys to get it in the commander ! Upon skinning the monster Dave had took out both lungs and clipped the heart . My 380 , zombie slayer arrow and 125 Ramcats did Dave proud !!

Kevin ---this is why bear hunting gets me pumped !1

gerald strine

Re: 2016 moose Hunt

Post by gerald strine »

Great story and bear he is a big one .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Sounds like a good hunting crew.
Nice story and bear!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

Hey Paul, nice story! seems to me you had great time with your partners. Congrat for the Bear. :P
Marcel.
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Another great hunting story!! Congrats..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Great story, Farmer
Thanks for sharing . :)
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats to him on the bear! Paul was wondering how your moose hunt went!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Congratulations!!!! Great bear and story!!! :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Excellent tale of the hunt Farmer...congrats to all.
I hope you get a moose next year too. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

Excellent story!! Congrats on the bear!!
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Nice going, great story and a really nice bear!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Congrats on the bear, what a great adventure! :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Thanks everyone . I am truly Blessed to be hunting with this group , we do have a great time while in camp > it is a always a sad day when it's time to return home . The moose hunting was not very productive for us but we still enjoy our time in camp . Fishing , hunting stupid chickens and bear hunting.

It has been my mission for the last 3 years to get Bob and Dave of our group get their 1st bear . Bear hunting was mostly an after thought before I joined the group . I was thrilled to death that both had a chance to see some real BIg bears . They both put alot of time and effort in to organizing the yearly hunt and they deserve the opportunity for a chance at bear . I

The other bear had a taste for archery targets . My Rinhart 18n1 had been setup on our shooting range in camp . I got to camp 1 week after the Elders had set up for .During the week my target went missing from the range , with only a few pieces left on the ground . The big laff was they had some good news and some bad news ! Good news was they already found a bear , bad news was it ate my Brand new 18n1 !

I found the target or more accurately half of it about 60 yards from our range . The bear had picked it up carried it away then used it for a chew toy and shredded it into little bite sized chunks . To say the least I was a little upset .

A little bait was put out and within 2 days our friend came back at 1 in the afternoon . Needless to say this bear was fed something it that did not agree with it > it was bold I tried a quick stalk but it was too thick and too many dry branches for me to sneak up off the trail with any stealth . The bear took off before I could get a shot ...

I decided to set up a small bait and clear a path thru the trees that would allow Bob or Dave a shot at the bait . It was less than an hour after I had things done and the bear returned . 1 fella from the group seen the bear was back and tried a shot at it before the bear settled into the bait and missed . The bear ran off . While I am giving him poop for rushing the shot the bear is already coming back in full view of 3 of us . Terry did a quick sneak up the trail we made and put an arrow right in the gabonza . The bear went about 70 yards .

The target eating bear was a good 200 pounds . That will learn it for eating my target ..... The crew wants me to send a picture and story to Rinhart to say that their target may stand up to broadheads for year but not good for a day with a hungry bear .

Will have my son help me post picture of the target eating bear and my poor target.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

That's a classic. We leave our targets out @ Bear camp too. Might be time to keep them in the truck when not in use...lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.