Tree Bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sipsey

Tree Bolts

Post by sipsey »

Anyone here use a drill & 6" grade 8 bolts to climb trees? I know it's not legal on some properties but I highly recommend it when permissible. The hand drill I have was purchased some twenty years ago and was made by Jerry Simmons, a legendary bow hunter from Alabama. He used to sell a climbing belt with pockets to hold the drill and 10 bolts.

I discovered a site (ezkutproducts.com) that makes & sells the hand drill. The beauty of the system is climbing any sized tree with limbs not being an issue. With practice one can drill and climb 18-20' in 15 minutes. Once drilled, remove bolts as you descend. Once drilled the holes are good for the season. The holes grow over with no damage to trees. They also sell a bit for cordless drills for preseason or speed scouting. Here's a picture of the new version.
Attachments
IMG_6429.JPG
IMG_6430.JPG
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
Shoebuck

Re: Tree Bolts

Post by Shoebuck »

I have used this system for years, I have found that the drilled hole will close while a hole caused by a screw in step will not. I live in Maple country and they drill holes every year and the trees heal themselves. Pulling the bottom bolts helps with stand security also.
Micro 335 Camo
Micro 335 Nightmare
Black Eagle Zombies
Spynal Double Tapps
Slick Trick Mag
Wac'em Broadheads
DeerBoy Strings
Xcalibur Strings
8-PtBuck Strings
Nikon Bolt
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Been doing this for years ...my job takes me around heavy equipment and industrial sights l spend the summer collectin em . I like the rusty ones the best. Simmons archery used to sell a cool belt pouch for the bolts seems to be a pioneer in the grade 8 bolt idea. A lot of times l use bolts and a couple strap on steps on the bottom to keep the squatters away.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
wolv1001

Post by wolv1001 »

Yep,I also have used the old simmons woodpecker for years. You combine the woodpecker and the millennium m7 and nothing is safe.
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I use the cheap screw in tree steps on clearance from tractor supply and leave them in the tree forever.