riddle me this....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcat

riddle me this....

Post by bobcat »

micro 335 with stock quills was shooting dead nuts on at all ranges at beginning of season. Killed 2 deer with it and seemed to hit both of them higher than i aimed but i figured they just dropped some.
Santa brought me a Dr. Stirup! So i put it on last night. I went out today to make sure everything was still hitting right after taking it all apart and putting back together. i was hitting about an inch high at 20 and 2in right. I make the adjustment to the scope and shoot a few times and she is right on again.
i moved back to 50 yards and im hitting 6-7 in low. 2.5 in group but low. Speed ring on scope is still right on the mark where it has been since i set it 2 years ago.
i think i will go over all the fasteners double check brace (i usualy run it a string with behind the line) and shoot it again in the morning. if im still low at 50 i guess adjust the speed ring. it just doesnt seem right that i need to move it now when it was good there before. unless now that i am resting on the dr stirup on the bench im more steady or something but i always shot good groups.
BrotherRon

Re: riddle me this....

Post by BrotherRon »

Different strings- strings that have stretched over time- variance in brace height- arrow weight- they all will make a difference. I would readjust your speed ring and go ;)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I would suggest that you adjust the speed ring at a measured 40 or 50 yards using a steady rest and sitting at a bench. After insuring the scope and rings are tight and that the verticle crosshair is truly perpendicular to the rail and limbs on your bow.

Once I get them adjusted to hit the Bull while using the speed ring, and having used the correct chevron or crosshair for that given range I put a layer of black electricans tape around the speed ring securing it to the rear objective cover. :oops:

This has worked for me ever since I had one get turned somewhat in the past while hunting, which changed my POI. :roll:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

If everything is tight and you did not add anything to the string or limbs I would look hard at the scope.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:If everything is tight and you did not add anything to the string or limbs I would look hard at the scope.
Yep!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Did you shoot it right before the accessories were added ? I have dr silencers n bumpers they never changed impact in 4 different bows l never tried the plastic stirrup i found it awkward n cumbersome. The silencers n bumpers are awsome.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

i didnt change anything else but also didnt shoot it right before i added the dr sturip. i will tighten everything . check brace and just adjust the ring and move on i guess.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I suggest shooting off sandbags for setup and checking sight marks. Using the Dr Stirrup foot rest off a hard bench can change your harmonics and change your poi.. Also, it'll be hard to maintain level using the dr stirrup as a bipod.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
MprBlackout

Post by MprBlackout »

With mine, I noticed a shot change also. Realized with Dr Stir up, you pull straight back when cocking. With foot loop, you are off center when cocking. Had to change right to left by 2.5". Put foot loop back on and was 2.5" to left. Up and down with speed ring was slight change. Like tuning and playing with my sexy exy. Now that its sited back in, its great.
380 BLACKOUT w/ T-zone 100
Tact handle, ACP trigger, Dr Stirrup w/ bumpers
335 Micro BLACKOUT & 355 Micro camo, both ACP triggers, T-zone 100'd, all w Lumi'd weight matched Zombies
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

paulaboutform wrote:I suggest shooting off sandbags for setup and checking sight marks. Using the Dr Stirrup foot rest off a hard bench can change your harmonics and change your poi.. Also, it'll be hard to maintain level using the dr stirrup as a bipod.

Paul
good idea. before i change too much i will rest off the forgrip again. i was using the dr. sturip like a bipod.
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

little update....

went over all screws on bow today. found nothing loose. tried shooting like i always did resting off the forgrip rather than the dr sturip and had to "undo" the adjustments i made at 20 yesterday. (about an inch up and inch right) then shot at 50 again resting off the grip rather than using the dr stuirp as a bipod. it was not as low as yesterday but still about 4 in low. i will just adjust my speed ring and move on. but resting the dr sturip rather than forgrip seems to make a difference.
i still love the dr sturip. easier to cock and a little quieter.