Compound Crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Re: Compound Crossbows

Post by SEW »

vixenmaster wrote:I have a Mission compound crossbow fer 3 yrs n over a 1,000 shots n no trouble. Can change out string n cables widout a press no stirrup, mine is short compact light weight n fairly quiet 19.5" uncocked 180lb its easy to cock, can even uncock it
Some compounds lend themselves to owner maintance. Without question, compounds have a mechanical advantage. I'm happy with my Excals(380,400,405) and their extreme accuracy. And they can reach out. If I were looking at a compound, I'd consider one that I could easily service myself and could relatively easily get parts for. I like the Mission concept.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I currently have 7 compound crossbows and 2 vertical coumpunds. Some bows came new/in the box, out of time, some went out of time from shooting and all needed the ATA adjusted. I have to admit that I probably scrutinize the bows more than most. What that taught me about compound vs recurves, is that once both have their strings settled in, they both needed adjusting about the same amount of times (compounds slightly more). BUT the recurve bows adjust quick and simply and by comparison, adjusting the compund is a pain in the butt. I have an Ultimate EZ press, but if I have to make an adjustment, I can't simply put on a stringing aid and put a twist or 2 and continue shooting. Instead, I have to go to my press, take a tape measure, measure the ATA and pay attention to timing marks, take one of the 3 "strings" off, pull the bow off and look at the timing marks and ATA. If it isn't perfect, back to the press. Admittedly, its like that to get the bow right and later adjustments aren't frequent assuming you aren't using factory strings. If anything, I am simplifying the process.
However, if you aren't an arrow junkie and aren't highly critical of your equipment, a compound is just fine in most people's hands. But, they are not as forgiving as a recurve crossbow in many ways.
So are they problematic? Not really after you get everything set up. But that depends on how picky you are.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

At one time I did consider a compound crossbow but with money being tight I decided a recurve would be less expensive to maintain. It was suggested to me that spending money on upgrading my Exomax trigger, string and scope made more sense than adding another crossbow to the arsenal. Don't you just hate it when that kind of advice makes so much sense!!

Looks like compounds are ideal for those that like to tinker.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

MOST that have compounds do not shoot very much anyhow..That is what I am seeing locally ..

I bet I am only one ,well I know I am that puts over 100 shots on crossbow...

MOST do not want to wear them out in anyway..EVEN the 5 micros that I got for our camp if they shot 10 shots or more its normal ..
none have over 30 shots on any of bows most 10/20 shots with 10 being about average....

These are hunters that put arrow behind the bears shoulders driving Bear ...
joel0711

Post by joel0711 »

Like an F150 and a 30-06----I don't have a F150 but do got a 30-06,need no other. Guess that's why I own 2 EXO series Excaliburs!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I like simple things that l can fix myself.
My stryker offspring was a cool dependable compound crossbow never had a problem with it.
Now my brother has it.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

joel0711 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:46 pm
Like an F150 and a 30-06----I don't have a F150 but do got a 30-06,need no other. Guess that's why I own 2 EXO series Excaliburs!
Ain't no problem that can't be fixed, with and F-150 and 30-06!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:19 pm
paulaboutform wrote:In my experience it depends on the string materials used, the cam design, and the amount of shooting done. I wish I could be more helpful but there really are a lot of variables.
Paul
I think this sums it up. If purchasing a quality crossbow there should be few problems with costly repairs being a nonissue. In addition the skill and expertise of the owner should be considered before the purchase if one is expecting to do the routine maintenance.

I'm glad I chose my Exomax!! One less thing to worry about before hunting season opens. Nice to have old dependable in the tree stand.
Bill
Bill, back when I was looking at getting a new bow, I talked to dealers for Matthews/Mission, Ten Point and even PSE. I'd been shooting a vertical for many years. Once you cut thru all their "sales fluff" and ask about dependability, ease of repair and working on it yourself, most would simply answer "Excalibur".
The Matthews guy said that's what he shoots! :shh:
The local PSE dealer is no longer in business. To find a Ten Point dealer I'd now have to drive 150 to the DFW area. Matthews is closest but still 50 miles away one direction. My Excalibur needs something. I can "fix it" myself!

As someone else on here said, when "Mr. Murphy" :twisted: rears his ugly head, and he will, I don't want him doing it in the middle of my hunt! :eusa-naughty:
That made up my mind for me!

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

You could use any of them to deer hunt with. There are alot of good crossbows out there. When I was at Bass Pro , I would get that question alot. Most people down here would go two or three weekeds and be done with it. My question is "How much are you going to hunt with it? How much are you going to shoot? How much do you want to spend?" Most chose a cheap option. I love Excaliburs for the same reason everybody here does. I like simple things to work when they are supposed to. I play the "what if game." I don't hunt 5 minutes from the house and if something goes wrong, my hunt is over. In my ten years at bass pro, I've seen everything from popped strings, timing issues and failing to shoot or uncock. NEVER had an Excalibur come back in. It's just like buying a shoe. Which one feels right ?Which one fits the way you hunt? For me , I know 15 years for now I could use the same crossbow I'm using now and hunt worry free.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I own a Micro 335 and a scorpyd Death stalker 420.

My compound Scorpyd DS 420 has been trouble free for me for 2 seasons now.

I had the cables and strings changed this season. Not really needed but neither are oil changes sometimes.. Lol

Both recurve and compound have distinct advantages over the other. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have several compound crossbows. The only ones that are trouble free I (I am not being nitpicky) are the Stryker bows and a 115 lb Deathstalker. So, I use my Excaliburs but next year I'm thinking my 385 Katana. Compound bows are generally very unforgiving, which to me, is very much a major issue.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

if you get one with a good track record and set up properly and know what to look for i see them pretty darn reliable. i dont hunt with compound verticles or crossbows anymore but they can get pricey especially if your changing strings and cables. thats why i dont use them anymore. if your replacing every year with moderate use you can darn near buy a new bow with the costs after 2 or 3 years. my last compound bow at the shop cost over $100 to replace strings and cables.now my brother pulls his Parker crossbow out kills deer every year and puts it back in the case. since i picked up a press i offer to change his strings and cables. serving wear is fine so he declines. been 3 years.guess i will put my foot down after 5. :eusa-snooty:
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

The nice thing about scorpyd bows is you can change the string and cables with a simple slave string and 2 set screws.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

The Stryker katana 360 was talking to me for a while. But I didn't do anything.
The Skorpyd's are pretty awesome, fantastic triggers.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

Carnivorous wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:02 pm
The nice thing about scorpyd bows is you can change the string and cables with a simple slave string and 2 set screws.
And to add, one can adjust or change Scorpyd cable/s with a screw driver positioned in the cam without a press.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family