Compound Crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Compound Crossbows

Post by ko4nrbs »

How problematic are the cams and cables on compound crossbows? Compound crossbows seem to be very popular and are offered by most crossbow manufactures. The only crossbow I've ever owned is the Excalibur Exomax. I went with a recurve to avoid having to deal with cams and cables. Avoiding extra cost to do simple maintenance was one of the deciding factors in going with a recurve?
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
frisky

Re: Compound Crossbows

Post by frisky »

I have a 2012 Ten Point Turbo. I had, I call it a defective cable slide, which cut the cables. I replaced the cables. The new slide had rounded corners, which is a big improvement over the original. At 18 1/2 inch uncocked width I like the bow. That is the only trouble I have had with it.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

How often do you have to take it in for routine maintenance?
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

With 4 Excaliburs, I'm pretty heavily vested in recurves, but I've been thinking about trying a Hickory Creek vertical crossbow and am wondering the same thing as the OP.
Gwens Dilemma

Post by Gwens Dilemma »

Years back I had a new Barnett Demon. Never own a wheelie again. KISS principle for me and my Exomag width isn't a problem here.
Dave
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

Heres to the KISS principle.

Like an F150 and a 30-06
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

It's a statistical certainty that Murphy's Law will come knocking on the door of the crossbow owner with more moving parts (cams,cables, slides). With that being said I have hunted with a compound crossbow for over 20 years and never had to leave the woods because of a malfunction due to the cams or cables. Jefro
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
frisky

Post by frisky »

ko4nrbs wrote:How often do you have to take it in for routine maintenance?
Bill
Never :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have a Mission compound crossbow fer 3 yrs n over a 1,000 shots n no trouble. Can change out string n cables widout a press no stirrup, mine is short compact light weight n fairly quiet 19.5" uncocked 180lb its easy to cock, can even uncock it
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Only problem I see at archery club is bro limbs at bolt holes and not able to string bow yourself ....
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've been a certified level II tech for many years working primarily on compound bows. In my experience it depends on the string materials used, the cam design, and the amount of shooting done. Our recurve limb bow strings need adjustment for brace height, compound strings and cables will need adjustments for both cam synchronization and timing. This is easily done but you actually need a press that'll work on a crossbow and you need to know what to look for and the adjustments to make. I personally have a wheeled Frankenbow in the lab being made right now and I also bought a portable press to work on that bow as none of my shop presses will work on that narrow of a bow. I wish I could be more helpful but there really are a lot of variables. I guess if you aren't able to work on the bow yourself and you're not near a QUALIFIED pro shop, avoid the wheels. If you can get the work done easily then give it a shot.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

We are lucky to have you on here Paul you are one of most respected experts on here in our camp ..Our group always reads what you say and they say hey Sproul what did Paul say or Boo or Vixenmaster or Gene or Newbie about that or this....
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

paulaboutform wrote:In my experience it depends on the string materials used, the cam design, and the amount of shooting done. I wish I could be more helpful but there really are a lot of variables.
Paul
I think this sums it up. If purchasing a quality crossbow there should be few problems with costly repairs being a nonissue. In addition the skill and expertise of the owner should be considered before the purchase if one is expecting to do the routine maintenance.

I'm glad I chose my Exomax!! One less thing to worry about before hunting season opens. Nice to have old dependable in the tree stand.
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

My main concern with a compound crossbow is a dry fire if the bow is not equipped with an anti dry fire safe guard. Most companies are now making anti dry fire safe guard standard on their upper class bows. Problem is the price for these bows.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

jd4223 wrote:My main concern with a compound crossbow is a dry fire if the bow is not equipped with an anti dry fire safe guard. Most companies are now making anti dry fire safe guard standard on their upper class bows. Problem is the price for these bows.

light arrows on compounds really cracked the limbs also per gunshop locally that I go to..they were pushing 350 gr arrows a lot back in 90s ..